• Pain

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Andre Palot

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
What are everyone's thoughts on Hughes-Marino as a pairing in terms of fit moving forward (i.e. to start next season)? Yay or nay?
Right now I'd say both need to play with a more physical partner who can complement them but let's see what happens when Hamilton returns next season. Chemistry is a funny thing and you never know what can develop.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What are everyone's thoughts on Hughes-Marino as a pairing in terms of fit moving forward (i.e. to start next season)? Yay or nay?
It could work...they had to go through a lot of pains this year.... I'm sure it was a learning experience for both. You'd hope the time and experience together would make for a better pairing next year.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Leafs were one of the teams last year that we really struggled with.

We went 1-2-0 against them and our win one was an OT win, so they didn't lose to us at all in regulation.

And they were also the team that snapped the 13 game heater.

theking72

Confucius Ackbar
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
NJ
The Leafs were one of the teams last year that we really struggled with.

We went 1-2-0 against them and our win one was an OT win, so they didn't lose to us at all in regulation.

And they were also the team that snapped the 13 game heater.
If I recall it was the refs who handed that game to the Leafs, not so much that they actually won it on their own.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
The real question is how does none of the team mates intervene when a goon jumps your 2OA rookie?
This bothered me last night, but realistically what are you supposed to do? MacDermid is standing right there but he doesn’t know how the fight started. And it’s against “the code” to just step in between them even though that’s basically what Domi did. And then Domi got tossed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If anything, it’s just another point in the long line of data points that “deterrence” is a myth, no matter how many times Daneyko says otherwise.

The real issue for me is that Nemec shouldn’t have dropped his gloves. Let Domi look like the puke he is for sucker punching an unsuspecting kid.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
i have no thoughts on Hughes pairings other than KEEP HIM AWAY FROM SMITH DEAR LORD
I love how bad their numbers look together, and much better they are apart (for Luke AND Smith!), because it’s one of the few concrete examples we have this season of Ruff and Green just flat out failing the organization. And they did it over and over despite it literally being their worst option.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If I recall it was the refs who handed that game to the Leafs, not so much that they actually won it on their own.
Which is funny because when I lurked the Leafs GDT last night, a bunch of them were complaining about the refs handing us this game.

I normally don't lurk other team's GDT's, but had a bad urge to do it last night just to see if people were raging on Samsonov, who I thought had probably the worst game a goalie has had against us this year. 4 bad goals and one borderline one. The Foote goal wasn't bad. The second Timo goal was kind of borderline.

Everything else was BAD. He had the puck on the first goal and somehow lost it before he could cover it. The first Timo goal he had and it went through him. Probably not a terrible goal cause he was moving side to side, but he should have had it.

Both Bratt goals were horrific.

Most of them weren't happy with Samsonov.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
This bothered me last night, but realistically what are you supposed to do? MacDermid is standing right there but he doesn’t know how the fight started. And it’s against “the code” to just step in between them even though that’s basically what Domi did. And then Domi got tossed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If anything, it’s just another point in the long line of data points that “deterrence” is a myth, no matter how many times Daneyko says otherwise.

The real issue for me is that Nemec shouldn’t have dropped his gloves. Let Domi look like the puke he is for sucker punching an unsuspecting kid.

I didn't watch the full game so I missed this, but when stuff like this happens I don't expect some kind of retaliation directly to that specific incident, it typically doesn't do anything. What I rather they do, won't necessarily change anything either but hell, it's better than nothing. If a player targets one of your stars, you target them back, all game. Also bring up the physicality on one of their stars too. Did they do this? From the games I've seen, they haven't really responded like this at all, super soft.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Dano really was on a roll.

Talking up how great Samsonov has been since he was waived and that he may have saved his career. Samsonov proceeds to get CRUSHED in the game.

Publicly hoped on air that GM Tom Fitzgerald would re-sign MacDermid, because he really brings something we need lol.

Said after Tavares tied the game in the 3rd period how he was just thinking that Tavares has been quiet, but he didn't wanna say it, despite the fact that Tavares scored the game opening goal 18 seconds into the game.

• Haha
Reactions: NJDevs26

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Dano really was on a roll.
IMG_2418.jpeg

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
It's proof it's waste of a roster spot to ice a goon.

It doesn't stop other teams from taking liberties.
Yep. They are out there 5 minutes a game and our star players are hardly ever on the ice the same time as them. Just at the point where the roster needs to man up and stop being the abused wife in the relationship.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
It could work...they had to go through a lot of pains this year.... I'm sure it was a learning experience for both. You'd hope the time and experience together would make for a better pairing next year.
Marino we know is better than how he has played this season. Not having Dougie plus Siegenthaler playing like ass certainly didn't help. Luke also needs to flat out get better without the puck. That Tavares goal to tie the game last night was a bad read by Luke. He was somewhat close to Tavares but still left him way too open for that easy shot on the doorstep , we had numbers back too where everyone was covered. Marino can't really make up for plays like that where his partner needs to pull his weight. If Luke cleans up his defensive game over time than we will have a potential Norris winner. We can't ignore how good of an offensive season he has had. Just need to be patient with him , Nemec and all the other young players. It's just a bit stressful as fans because we need them to play at a high level if we want to really challenge for a Cup let alone get back to the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Marino we know is better than how he has played this season. Not having Dougie plus Siegenthaler playing like ass certainly didn't help. Luke also needs to flat out get better without the puck. That Tavares goal to tie the game last night was a bad read by Luke. He was somewhat close to Tavares but still left him way too open for that easy shot on the doorstep , we had numbers back too where everyone was covered. Marino can't really make up for plays like that where his partner needs to pull his weight. If Luke cleans up his defensive game over time than we will have a potential Norris winner. We can't ignore how good of an offensive season he has had. Just need to be patient with him , Nemec and all the other young players. It's just a bit stressful as fans because we need them to play at a high level if we want to really challenge for a Cup let alone get back to the playoffs.
I have just come to accept that we are not going to be competing for a cup for at least a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad