GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (24-39-6) vs. New York Rangers, (44-20-6), 7 PM, MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Schneider has stunk this year, he can keep hitting guys for all I care. He doesn’t make a positive impact on games. He was really tough punching a guy over and over before he could even get his gloves off.
We’d kill for this player. Hes only 32 games into his 20 yr old season. Rangers worked us when the moved ahead to take him. Also shara should not be starting fights with anybody

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I have to say live, Panarin is floating so much I was surprised he didn’t end up in the rafters by the end of the game. Yes, he still produces and had some sweet passes but he’s a magical player and could do so much more if he was engaged.

Maybe he wakes up in the playoffs? Not sure that second line does much of anything if he doesn’t.
Even when he plays his best and most productive hockey, Panarin is a major "floater" through the neutral zone without the puck. That's been the way he plays for years now.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
We’d kill for this player. Hes only 32 games into his 20 yr old season. Rangers worked us when the moved ahead to take him. Also shara should not be starting fights with anybody
That's the point. He goes in to hug the guy, the other guy gets his gloves off and starts swinging.

And Yegor gets the instigator lol.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I would not draft a player like this in the 1st round. If you need the grit factor, find them for cheap and stick them on the 3rd pairing like what Calgary is doing.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Studenic wouldn't have needed waivers if he never played the 1/08 game and then not again until 2/15.

Ty Smith could have been sent down to Utica.

Blaming Geertsen is just lazy. Geertsen can't put himself on waivers.
Who would you rather have, Studenic or Geertsen? I would rather have Studenic. I blame Fitz.

Reactions: Blender

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Studenic became waivers eligible when he played 1/08. Then he was a healthy scratch until 2/13 (not 2/15 excuse me, that was his last game as a Devil).

He was healthy scratched again from after that 2/15 game until he was waived on 2/23. He could have played 18 games in Utica between 1/06 and 2/13. Why would you even recall him for two games at that point unless it was an emergency recall that doesn't affect waivers, if he's not in the NHL plan?

The point is that a team has no idea when they're going to need their healthy scratches. The Devils were relatively healthy in January and February, how did they know that was going to happen? Someone has to be an extra forward, it made sense for it to be Studenic. That's a fair point about emergency recall, I forgot that a player can play 10 games under emergency recall without it counting towards waivers. But the easiest thing to note is that Studenic had already cleared waivers. It's very surprising that he got claimed, in light of that.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Schneider has stunk this year, he can keep hitting guys for all I care. He doesn’t make a positive impact on games. He was really tough punching a guy over and over before he could even get his gloves off.
He's a rookie playing on a contender and was a fantastic pick. Maybe Sharangovich shouldn't of jumped the guy that hit Vesey in the first place, when the hit was clean? He got a beating for trying to act as a tough guy and got spanked for it.

If you're going to jump someone, you better be ready to answer the bell.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Don’t think it would be a bad thing taking Wright either, this allows Mercer to play wing which he looks more comfortable.

You figure a combination of Mercer/holtz will fill spots left open by Johansson and zacha/Tatar
Do you think Wright will be ready to step in at 2C behind Hughes right away if they move Mercer to wing on a more or less permanent basis?

My3Sons

Sponsor
He's a rookie playing on a contender and was a fantastic pick. Maybe Sharangovich shouldn't of jumped the guy that hit Vesey in the first place, when the hit was clean? He got a beating for trying to act as a tough guy and got spanked for it.

Meh. Shara having to be the guy who responded is a symptom of the team's lack of compete at times. Hischier and Bratt have also felt compelled to drop the gloves. In what universe is that a good thing? Hopefully Shara just has a bruise or cut from the helmet being struck but at least he was willing to stand up for a teammate. On some level, in a lost year, on a lost team, at least he showed he cares.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

“Playing on a contender” is great. If the goalie wasn’t stopping 95% of shots when he was on the ice, he would be back in the AHL where he belongs.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I remember when it looked like it couldn’t get any worse than Blackwood back in December and January.

Both Gillies and Daws managed to prove me wrong on that one.

Ain’t it funny how they both have an identical percentage of goals I’ve counted stoppable?

Blackwood: 25 goals stoppable/70 goals against = 35.71%

Daws: 21 goals stoppable/59 goals against = 35.59%.

That brings the team count to 88 goals stoppable on 246 goals against. 35.77% for the team.

Reactions: My3Sons

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Last time we played the Rangers with a healthy lineup we dropped a touchdown on the best goalie in the world.

Last night we were missing essentially 1/3 of our starting forwards and they still only managed 15 ES shots and 17 shots total.

There were 5 total PPs in this game and a grand total of 2 PP shots the entire game. The Rangers had both shots and scored on each of them. We had 0 PP shots. That was the game.

They played a bad game and barely won because our special teams are awful.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Last time we played the Rangers with a healthy lineup we dropped a touchdown on the best goalie in the world.

Last night we were missing essentially 1/3 of our starting forwards and they still only managed 15 ES shots and 17 shots total.

There were 5 total PPs in this game and a grand total of 2 PP shots the entire game. The Rangers had both shots and scored on each of them. We had 0 PP shots. That was the game.

They played a bad game and barely won because our special teams are awful.
The Rangers don't have a very good team, they just don't. They are mostly carried by exceptional goaltending and a lethal power play.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Lol nothing Braden Schneider has done so far has made me think oh crap, we really missed out on this guy, shouldn't have let the Rangers jump us, blah blah, blah. That may change in the future and Muk may stink, but right now Schneider isn't any good.

Also we dominated the ice when he was on, last night.

Last edited:

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

Schneider hit Boqvist, not Vesey. Also, that was so far from “jumping a guy” that it can’t even be considered in the same league. Rango barely held him. Schneider turned back and punched him, whatever, guess Rango should know better than to do that. Let’s not act like he tried to maul him though.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Lol nothing Braden Schneider has done so far has made me think oh crap, we really missed out on this guy, shouldn't have let the Rangers jump us, blah blah, blah. That may change in the future and Muk may stink, but right now Schneider isn't any good.

Also we dominated the ice when he was on, last night.
For a guy who isn’t any good he basically won the game for them with one big hit

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Rango getting talked about because of the fight, but his goal was beautiful. Great defensive awareness, pickpockets Trouba and finishes beautifully with the backhand. His 2-3 shifts were pretty good, without Hughes also. I think he needs more credit than he’s had around here. 26 goal, 52 point pace. He looks like a top-6 guy to me and he definitely is a useful guy to have.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
“Playing on a contender” is great. If the goalie wasn’t stopping 95% of shots when he was on the ice, he would be back in the AHL where he belongs.
Who said he was about to get nominated for the Norris? Yes, their goaltending is great and like any 20 year old rookie, he'll have his up's and down's but at the moment, he's not a liability to the Rangers more so than whoever else they have on their roster, so he's playing.

Saying he stinks this year is a reach and if what he brings to their team is grit, it's already better than what Smith has brought to our team since the start of the season. If we had a guy like him, maybe Sharangovich wouldn't feel the need to defend a guy like Boqvist in the first place.

Like @My3Sons said earlier, we have our key guys doing the dirty work when it should be the last thing we want them to do. Imagine having Bratt, Nico or Sharangovich out long term because they had to step up and defend a teamate. How dumb would that look but they have no other choice because like I've been saying for months, this roster is loaded with soft players.

Last edited:

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Meh. Shara having to be the guy who responded is a symptom of the team's lack of compete at times. Hischier and Bratt have also felt compelled to drop the gloves. In what universe is that a good thing? Hopefully Shara just has a bruise or cut from the helmet being struck but at least he was willing to stand up for a teammate. On some level, in a lost year, on a lost team, at least he showed he cares.
You're right about that. The lack of toughness on this roster has our more skilled players involved in altercations they shouldn't be in. That's on Fitz for building a soft lineup but I do like to see the fight in guys like Bratt, Nico and Shara... just don't want them breaking their hand in a fight or seperate a shoulder by getting wrestled to the ice.

My3Sons

Sponsor
For a guy who isn’t any good he basically won the game for them with one big hit
You offer a fair amount of dramatic opinions but this one is factually wrong. They won the game because Daws let in a bad goal and NJ whiffed on too many chances. I understand that you are implying his hit on Boquist and subsequent fight was some sort of catalyst but I’ll disagree. It didn’t change anything I saw about how the gane was played or who played well before or after. If anything NJ got better defensively as the game went on. You are Emeril’s’s to your opinion but I think you’d be in a very small minority on this one.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Schneider hit Boqvist, not Vesey. Also, that was so far from “jumping a guy” that it can’t even be considered in the same league. Rango barely held him. Schneider turned back and punched him, whatever, guess Rango should know better than to do that. Let’s not act like he tried to maul him though.
My bad, you're right... it was Boqvist, I had Vesey in mind because he left with an apparant injury.

Shara didn't attack him or anything but you have to realize that if you're holding on to someone, after a play like that where jumping on a guy who made a perfectly clean hit is now as common as anything else in the game, the odds are that whoever is being held will look to punch your lights out because those scrums usually turn into a shit show.

Reactions: Devs3cups

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Who said he was about to get nominated for the Norris? Yes, their goaltending is great and like any 20 year old rookie, he'll have his up's and down's but at the moment, he's not a liability to the Rangers more so than whoever else they have on their roster, so he's playing.

Saying he stinks this year is a reach and if what he brings to their team is grit, it's already better than what Smith has brought to our team since the start of the season. If we had a guy like him, maybe Sharangovich wouldn't feel the need to defend a guy like Vesey in the first place.

Like @My3Sons said earlier, we have our key guys doing the dirty work when it should be the last thing we want them to do. Imagine having Bratt, Nico or Sharangovich out long term because they had to step up and defend a teamate. How dumb would that look but they have no other choice because like I've been saying for months, this roster is loaded with soft players.
He could obviously turn into a good player, it’s so early. It’s just puzzling to see the drooling over a player that has gotten worse results than Santini’s first stint in NJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad