GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (23-36-5) @ Washington Capitals (36-20-10), 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It's not on him, but the third goal was a bad one.

It's not about him playing poorly, it's about playing him too much.

This is way too much, at this point.

He shouldn't be playing in back to backs anymore.

If he plays tomorrow it’s definitely gotten ridiculous.

Maybe the plan is somehow to go from Daws to Hammond. (Which is would be a weird plan to have before seeing what Hammond can do.)

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd fire Ruff before tomorrow's game if he starts Daws.

f*** him,

This is past Pete riding Hedberg every game when Marty was injured.

Let Nas coach the rest of the year and worry about it in the offseason.

If Gillies gets blown up tomorrow I doubt it's gonna be a contributing factor in Ruff getting fired after this year, if he is indeed fired. It's likely already been determined whether or not he stays or goes next year.

Reactions: theoptimist

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
We didn't play that poorly, but some breakdowns and some not great goals allowed combined with their goalie playing well.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
It seems like our xGF always aligns with our actual number of goals scored, but our xGA is always way lower than our actual goals against. It's getting old, and the guys playing in front deserve better.

Reactions: Blender

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
So how did the Devils not get a PP from the hit on McLeod? Are we now saying that instigating is on the same level as hits to the head?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No team has lost more when scoring first then us.

Ruff has to GO
Poor goaltending or not, you can't survive two straight seasons with this kind of point percentage

Unless you're in the first 2 years or maybe even first 3 years of a rebuild.

Or unless you're Jeff Blashill.

If we bring Ruff back, there's a better chance than not of him getting fired mid-season and then we're in a situation where we have to have Nas interim again or possibly Recchi (probably not him though) or Dineen.

No f***ing around, just sack him.

Let him pretend he's retiring like Jacques Lemaire in 1998.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
They gotta overpay then or you got to hope Blackwood can get healthy. The UFA pool plus Daws and Bernier are not going to be good enough.
Feel like getting average goaltending like Daws provided early on should be the short term solution. If thats Blackwood or Husso or Bernier or Vanecek, all same to me. But getting star goalies is really hard. Vasi, Saros, Helly, Igor etc. have all been drafted by their teams.

Getting someone like Andersen when he was traded to Toronto cause Gibson was the clear #1 might be our best bet. Swayman/Knight type, but whether those guys would be available is a different question.

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
Yes, but it's probably not happening until the offseason so I'm not going to dwell on it now.
This is the part that really sucks

Wish it didnt have to be this way. They should be fired when its necessary but.. whos gonna go stand on the bench, Fitz?

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
They need to fire Ruff in the off-season, that’s when the most coaches will be available. Can’t start the next season with him and then fire him.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
I was pretty critical of the choice on the PP, but I think I would have used Damon at the end of the game there.

Didn't think Dougie was playing well at all.

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
Feel like getting average goaltending like Daws provided early on should be the short term solution. If thats Blackwood or Husso or Bernier or Vanecek, all same to me. But getting star goalies is really hard. Vasi, Saros, Helly, Igor etc. have all been drafted by their teams.

Getting someone like Andersen when he was traded to Toronto cause Gibson was the clear #1 might be our best bet. Swayman/Knight type, but whether those guys would be available is a different question.
If Florida is all in you could eat some cap for them and get Knight, obv sending some nice value back.

Id feel much better running a Blackwod/Knight

Reactions: DeVols and Dylan9z9

Dylan9z9

May 16, 2012
Rockaway, NJ
I know the result sucks, but they haven't played badly at all.
I've never seen a team as bad as them on giving up goals because of stupid plays, give aways, not being able to clear the puck and just bad defense. I don't buy the they still played good narrative ... yes a very fast team in the O zone but they still give the game away when the score is close more times then not👎

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Just throwing things out there, but what if we made a significant move to get Knight from Florida? Not saying Florida would trade him and certainly not going to make some proposal because those always get roasted, but that intrigues me. Depending, of course, on what that'd take.

Reactions: Rydev

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
This is the part that really sucks

Wish it didnt have to be this way. They should be fired when its necessary but.. whos gonna go stand on the bench, Fitz?

If anything it'd probably be Nas running the bench for the last however many games we'd have left. But I don't know if there's any point in doing it now other than to just do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad