buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Italy :

Toni
Cassano - Totti - Diamanti
Pirlo - Gattuso
Grosso - Cannavaro - Nesta - Zambrotta
Buffon

This is our dream team and not the roster we actually think will win anything right?

-------------------Balotelli--------------------
-------------------------------Totti------------
---------------Verratti-Pirlo-------------------
------------------------De Rossi------------------
Spinazzolla----------------------------Zambrotta
-----------Chiellini--Cannavaro--Nesta----------
--------------------------Buffon--------------------

Last edited:

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Balotelli? Wtf lol

Euro 2012 Balotelli was dynamite. There's few Italian strikers that were more dominant than he was playing around 2010-2014ish since 2000.

Obviously you could easily put Del Piero or Vieri in that spot, but that team would be better suited with a big man rather than a fast striker considering that midfield. Totti would be playing upfront on that squad anyways. You could put Toni there but he wasn't that good on the Italian national team during his prime - he wasn't that great in 2006, or at least, didn't finish his chances much.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Euro 2012 Balotelli was dynamite. There's few Italian strikers that were more dominant than he was playing around 2010-2014ish since 2000.

Obviously you could easily put Del Piero or Vieri in that spot, but that team would be better suited with a big man rather than a fast striker considering that midfield. Totti would be playing upfront on that squad anyways. You could put Toni there but he wasn't that good on the Italian national team during his prime - he wasn't that great in 2006, or at least, didn't finish his chances much.

cassano man

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
cassano man

The problem is Cassano was primarily a playmaking forward, who is he going to feed the ball to on that squad? Just Totti?

Adding a playmaking forward would make sense if you took out Verratti. But having Pirlo, Verratti, and Totti dominate the midfield - along with a defensive De Rossi - would be insane. You just need someone to finish goals in that set-up.

lud

May 27, 2009
Croatia
i think he means peak. mendieta at his peak was better than busquets. however, that peak was not long. busquets had a much better career.
Yes. Mendieta at his best was better than Busquets. Mendieta was key player in Valencia,Lazio and Barcelona pre Ronaldinho. Busq was always surrended with world class players. Ever since Xavi and Iniesta left, Busq made no difference in midfield.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
GK: Čech

RB: Coufal
CB: Ujfaluši
CB: Rozehnal
LB: Jankulovski

RM: Poborský
CM: Galásek
CM: Souček
LM: Nedvěd

AM: Rosický

ST: Koller

Those mid-00s squads were just something else in terms of sheer player quality.
There is nothing better than Ujfalusi? I saw plenty of him when he played in Hamburg and he was prone to gaffes every other game. Certainly not a stabilising presence.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
There is nothing better than Ujfalusi? I saw plenty of him when he played in Hamburg and he was prone to gaffes every other game. Certainly not a stabilising presence.
I think he's easily the best defender we've had in this timespan. Definitely would consider him more reliable than the likes of Kadlec or Sivok, though the bar is clearly not very high.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

i think czechs put him in their lineups becuse he was good when playing for the nt.

but yeah looking at club-career, tomas sivok or marek suchy probaly where better players. Zdenek grygera ofc aswell, but i dont remember if he was centre back or winger.

Reactions: Eisen

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
i think czechs put him in their lineups becuse he was good when playing for the nt.

but yeah looking at club-career, tomas sivok or marek suchy probaly where better players. Zdenek grygera ofc aswell, but i dont remember if he was centre back or winger.
Grygera could play either.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Serbia

Milosevic - Tadic - Kovacevic
SMS
Stankovic - Matic
Kolarov - Vidic - Krstajic - Ivanovic
Stojkovic

Was tempted to include Kezman, he was spitting in goals with PSV.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Not trying to laugh at you mate, but holy smokes you cannot be serious? Good player, unfairly treated by media, but nothing beyond that...

Like I stated multiple times, I chose him because of the makeup of the team I selected - I don't think he was the best striker in the last 20 years, obviously, but I don't see the big deal.

Who cares? Put Vieri or Del Piero, or Inzaghi, or whoever else you want to. This is a thought experiment, it's not some serious enterprise.

Even if you did want to take it seriously...which Italian striker had a better tournament than Balotelli's Euro 2012 in the last 20 years? I think you could definitely make the argument Vieri had a better 2002 World Cup, but it gets pretty thin/debateable after that.

Italy's national team is rarely built around their strikers. Baggio was a pretty rare exception in the modern era.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Ireland.

Robbie Keane - Damien Duff
Ian Harte - Roy Keane - John O'Shea - Seamus Coleman
Kevin Kilbane - Steve Staunton - Richard Dunne - Steve Finnan
Shay Given

Puh. It was super hard finding any good offensive players. So Harte and Coleman have to play wingers, they got some skills. Just look at Spinazolla and Maehle in this Euros. Ireland really is the nation of defenders.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Like I stated multiple times, I chose him because of the makeup of the team I selected - I don't think he was the best striker in the last 20 years, obviously, but I don't see the big deal.

Who cares? Put Vieri or Del Piero, or Inzaghi, or whoever else you want to. This is a thought experiment, it's not some serious enterprise.

Even if you did want to take it seriously...which Italian striker had a better tournament than Balotelli's Euro 2012 in the last 20 years? I think you could definitely make the argument Vieri had a better 2002 World Cup, but it gets pretty thin/debateable after that.

Italy's national team is rarely built around their strikers. Baggio was a pretty rare exception in the modern era.

2 underated italian strikers where di vaio and miccoli

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Yes. Mendieta at his best was better than Busquets. Mendieta was key player in Valencia,Lazio and Barcelona pre Ronaldinho. Busq was always surrended with world class players. Ever since Xavi and Iniesta left, Busq made no difference in midfield.

Bad take, Mendieta was utter crap on both Lazio and Barcelona. I would know, they're the teams I follow. Busquets still makes all the difference in Barcelona's midfield, when he's out we're struggling defensively even more than we usually are. Anyway I don't see them as comparable players by position, Mendieta was a lot better going forward in his Valencia years, Busquets can't score to save his life, but recovers so many more balls than Mendieta ever did.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Bad take, Mendieta was utter crap on both Lazio and Barcelona. I would know, they're the teams I follow. Busquets still makes all the difference in Barcelona's midfield, when he's out we're struggling defensively even more than we usually are. Anyway I don't see them as comparable players by position, Mendieta was a lot better going forward in his Valencia years, Busquets can't score to save his life, but recovers so many more balls than Mendieta ever did.

did u follow lazio in 90s and early 00s? then u should know about the legendary swedish coach, sven göran eriksson :D did he make lazio boring to watch? :cool:

Reactions: luiginb

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Iceland.

Alfred Finnbogason
Jóhann Berg Gudmundsson - Gylfi Sigurdsson - Eidur Gudjohnsen
Birkir Bjarnason - Aron Gunnarsson - Rurik Gislason
Ragnar Sigurdsson - Hermann Hreiðarsson - Sverrir Ingri Ingason
Runar Alex Runarsson

Ad