Your name on the Stanley Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrickRed

Oct 23, 2003
Phoenix
Visit site
How many of you would pay $100 a ticket for the chance to have your name on the Stanley Cup? Please vote via poll -- yes or no.

I sent the email set forth below to the Coyotes regarding this idea.

The unfortunate cancellation of the 2004-2005 NHL season has created a tremendous opportunity to establish goodwill and raise money for charity. The NHL and the trustees for the Stanley Cup, should hold a lottery, with as many winners as would otherwise have been the number of names inscribed on the Cup for 2005, for the right to be memorized on the Cup. The proceeds would go to charity. I am confident that thousands, if not tens or hundreds of thousands, of individuals like me would make a charitable contribution of $100 for the once in a lifetime chance to be memorialized on the Stanley Cup.

I look forward to your thoughts.

ResidentAlien*

No
Stupid Idea
No amount of money should get your name on the cup.

mackdogs*

ResidentAlien said:
No
Stupid Idea
No amount of money should get your name on the cup.
Agreed. The cup is an accomplishment derived from sweat and blood. Plus if this were to go through they'd probably have to open to everyone ie. women included. Not sure but I doubt a woman's name is anywhere on the cup. And what if your name is John Smith... are people really gonna believe your $100 got the name on there?? Thumbs down.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
mackdogs said:
Agreed. The cup is an accomplishment derived from sweat and blood. Plus if this were to go through they'd probably have to open to everyone ie. women included. Not sure but I doubt a woman's name is anywhere on the cup. And what if your name is John Smith... are people really gonna believe your $100 got the name on there?? Thumbs down.

There's a few women on it already. Jim Norris' daughter was a Wings' executive in the 50's. Mike Ilitch has half his family on it.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
This is essentially advertising. What if Wal-Mart thinks it'd be a great way to expose their business to hockey fans everywhere. Wal-mart pays up $500,000 to charity so they can smack Sam Walton on the side of Stanley.

I see it as a smack in the face of tradition. It'd also be a slippery slope and open up a lot of other dirty ideas. The idea rivals something like, "Step up and pay $1,000 to the Pittsburgh Penguins and Mario will play a period with YOUR NAME on the back of his jersey!!!"

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
What the hell have I or anyone else other than a NHL player done to deserve having my name engraved on the Staney Cup?

This seems like the height of self-gratification to me. Talk about delusions of grandeur.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Hell no. To have my name on the cup I would have to play and win not pay. The Cup is won by a team and a bunch of guys that play their balls off for a season and the playoffs. To get your name on that trophy you must deserve it and no amout of money shoul get you a place on it.

Matzel

Jul 26, 2003
Your name doesn't belong on the Stanley Cup because you donated a hundred bucks and won a lottery.

To me, it would be worthless to have my name on the Cup if I had paid for it - What's the point? I could say that I was lucky and won the draw?

PUUUUUUHHHHLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZE!!! Is this (kind of figment) what a cancelled NHL season can do to us... :dunno:

Dancin' Gabe rules! :banana:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
mackdogs said:

exacly.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Flukeshot said:
This is essentially advertising. What if Wal-Mart thinks it'd be a great way to expose their business to hockey fans everywhere. Wal-mart pays up $500,000 to charity so they can smack Sam Walton on the side of Stanley.
His son in law is on there.

As bad as sponsored awards and bowls have gotten this would be desecrating the most revered trophy in sports. Illitch and Pocklington are bad enough.

I'm Just a Bill*

Would take all meaning away from having your name on the Cup.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
BrickRed said:
How many of you would pay $100 a ticket for the chance to have your name on the Stanley Cup? Please vote via poll -- yes or no.

I sent the email set forth below to the Coyotes regarding this idea.

The unfortunate cancellation of the 2004-2005 NHL season has created a tremendous opportunity to establish goodwill and raise money for charity. The NHL and the trustees for the Stanley Cup, should hold a lottery, with as many winners as would otherwise have been the number of names inscribed on the Cup for 2005, for the right to be memorized on the Cup. The proceeds would go to charity. I am confident that thousands, if not tens or hundreds of thousands, of individuals like me would make a charitable contribution of $100 for the once in a lifetime chance to be memorialized on the Stanley Cup.

I look forward to your thoughts.
the cup belongs to the player's who won it -

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
This is the worst hockey related idea I have ever heard. Ever. Seriously.

For sheer stupidity, this rivals the article someone posted a couple weeks ago about how hockey was being ruined because the canadians were getting soft about fighting and hitting from all the european influence and somehow that it all tied in to world geo-politics.

Hockey should get a restraining order against the person who made this thread.

coyoteshockeyfan

Mar 17, 2004
Coyote Country
No, the Stanley Cup is the most storied trophy in sports, and putting some random person's name on there (even in the name of charity) would destroy its appeal and credibility.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
If replacment players names get there name of the Cup...then it will forever be the biggest joke trophy in sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad