Your Isles Darkhorse Prospect(s) for 15-16?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It's the offseason and I'm bored. Often, there are prospects who come out of no where and take a big leap in their development that no one saw coming. Who do you think that is going to be?

I left out some guys that have went overseas that I don't think are entirely relevant, so I'll put in an "Other" option if you feel that strong about them.

For me, I'm going with Quine, Vande Sompel, and Poulin.

I think if we run into some bottom six injuries, we could see Quine come up and fill in rather nicely. Statistically, he seemed like a late bloomer at the OHL level, so maybe we have a decent, cheap, bottom six with a bit a skill option on our hands.

With Vande Sompel, I'm looking for him to solidify himself as a legitimate D prospect and continue to improve his play in his own zone while still putting up PPG numbers. I love his explosive skating and his anticipation. Somerby is a big boy who can skate. It seems like he's been rounding off his game at BU.

Some of you will laugh at my Poulin selection, but if he's still here by the start of the season, it wouldn't shock me to see him put up stellar AHL numbers or put together an impressive NHL stint because of injuries.

Last edited:

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Jesse Graham. Reinhart gone - one of Pulock or Mayfield likely graduating. I can see him getting a big boost in responsibility next season and I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up some impressive numbers. Always been a fan of his game.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Petrov, Mayfield, and Pulock are the only players with a chance at making it this year...

But as for a "Darkhorse"...i'm going with Williams

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Voted for two goalies, the Swede and Williams.

But my main vote goes to Pelech, been on his train since leading up to his draft.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Not sure if our top 5 prospects should be on here. We're expecting a lot out of them, and they're not really considered "dark horses".

I went with Vande Sompel, Soderstrom, and Quine.

Vande Sompel was probably my favorite projected non 1st round player in this draft. Really think he can be special.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
1. Can't pick any CHL guys. We should have top-10 scorers in all 3 leagues (Beauvillier, Ho-Sang & Dal Colle, Barzal). It's going to be interesting what happens with Vande Sompel + Dal Colle with the Generals losing Cassels. Will either move to center?

2. Goaltenders are unpredictable. By definition one of them doing well makes them a dark horse. So it's a too-easy answer.

3. Pelech is the obvious choice, so not a dark horse.

4. Somerby is a good choice. But it's better to be bold and go with...

5. Cammarata and LEDUC. The oddly skating couple.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
None of mine are realy darkhorses: Mayfield, Petrov, MDC.

Haven't heard much talk of it yet but wondering if MDC could get the 8 game look while Petrov gets a few games in the AHL to start the season. Maybe I have missed it or it is too early but no one I have seen has really discussed MDC having a legit shot at making the team. Maybe just the Isles mentality to develop players.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I went with collberg as my dark horse. With a nice crop of forwards in front of him like Dal Colle, Barzal, Ho-Sang, and Beauvillier a lot of people probably aren't to concerned if Collberg really pans out. I fore one think there is still some untapped potential. Might not ever break into the islanders top six, but I do see him taking some major strides in Bridgeport if he stays healthy.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
It's the offseason and I'm bored. Often, there are prospects who come out of no where and take a big leap in their development that no one saw coming. Who do you think that is going to be?

I left out some guys that have went overseas that I don't think are entirely relevant, so I'll put in an "Other" option if you feel that strong about them.

For me, I'm going with Quine, Vande Sompel, and Poulin.

I think if we run into some bottom six injuries, we could see Quine come up and fill in rather nicely. Statistically, he seemed like a late bloomer at the OHL level, so maybe we have a decent, cheap, bottom six with a bit a skill option on our hands.

With Vande Sompel, I'm looking for him to solidify himself as a legitimate D prospect and continue to improve his play in his own zone while still putting up PPG numbers. I love his explosive skating and his anticipation. Somerby is a big boy who can skate. It seems like he's been rounding off his game at BU.

Some of you will laugh at my Poulin selection, but if he's still here by the start of the season, it wouldn't shock me to see him put up stellar AHL numbers or put together an impressive NHL stint because of injuries.

I'm a little unsure of exactly what you mean here. Are we voting for dark horse candidates to make the team? If so, Petrov, Mayfield, Pulock, and Pelech shouldn't be here. Or just a general leap in a player's development that was a little unexpected? If that's the case, I don't think it makes sense to put any of the recent 1st round picks here.

Anyway, I think Williams is going to have a great year at Bridgeport and get his name out there a little more. I've also always liked Kyle Burroughs.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Went with Collberg, Halmo and Poulin.

I think Halmo has a shot at taking Colin's spot as the extra forward that can play with jam and pot some clutch goals.

Collberg I am hoping to have a breakout season

If we keep Poulin, I've always been a fan of his, hope the restocked BPT team can be better this year.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Went with Collberg, Halmo and Poulin.

I think Halmo has a shot at taking Colin's spot as the extra forward that can play with jam and pot some clutch goals.

Collberg I am hoping to have a breakout season

If we keep Poulin, I've always been a fan of his, hope the restocked BPT team can be better this year.

That's a good call. No one will confuse him with a top 6 candidate but for short term injury replacement duty, I like what he can bring. He's a solid 15th forward which you often need during a season.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
As a dark horse, Kevin Czuczman .
Petrov, mayfield, Pulock , are all on the radar.
Maybe this kids will step way up and challenge for a call up at some point.

Arsenalogist24

Dec 10, 2013
Went with Somerby. He's a junior now I believe and I think he'll get increased minutes on a very good BU team. Not a big stat sheet DMan at all but he's always a + or E player in +/- and quietly excels on that team. Hoping he makes some noise with that massive frame of his

Clutcherbuck

Feb 28, 2007
Albany, NY
Since several people listed can't really be considered darkhorses, I think Stephon Williams can fit the bill here. If he continues his trend of progression as he has been on, I can see him having a big year for the Sound Tigers.

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
Went with Collberg, most of all needs to be healthy. Will be a big important part of the offense in Bridgeport, giving him recognition for a call up.

Then I went Devin Toews, no one really talks about him because he was a later round pick and doesn't play for a huge school (but growing quickly). In his JR season he will be getting top pairing minutes in all situations.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
What, no Richie Hansen?

Was gonna go Williams but went Petrov. I think he makes roster and scores 12-15 goals or so and we have a Kulimen 2.0 or something like that.

Can only hope.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'm a little unsure of exactly what you mean here. Are we voting for dark horse candidates to make the team? If so, Petrov, Mayfield, Pulock, and Pelech shouldn't be here. Or just a general leap in a player's development that was a little unexpected? If that's the case, I don't think it makes sense to put any of the recent 1st round picks here.

Anyway, I think Williams is going to have a great year at Bridgeport and get his name out there a little more. I've also always liked Kyle Burroughs.

An unexpected leap in a player's development. Obviously you expect your 1st rounders to make big strides, but Pulock putting up 20 goals (for example) in the NHL would qualify as an unexpected leap.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Not sure if he is a Darkhorse but I think Mitchell Vande Sompel is going to step up his game a notch next season and make many teams regret letting him slip to 82.

If I could vote 2 guys my second pick would be Pelech, I think Reinhart getting traded really opens up space for him to have a bigger role.

rockhouse15

Jul 23, 2011
Went with Pilon, Sorokin, Wotherspoon, and Somerby.

I think if Provorov leaves Brandon we will see Pilon take over as their #1 d-man and hopefully put up similar points to this year as he did last year.

Sorokin played well in the 6 games since the trade and want to see him continue his good play for a whole season.

Wotherspoon is a guy I really like of the mid to late round picks over the last few years right behind Pilon. I think he will lead Tri-city defensemen in scoring again and refine his all around game to where he can be a legit d prospect for the NHL in a few years. Also wouldn't hurt if he grew to around his brother's height this year.

Somerby is not a guy I value that much but if he can make another leap from his sophomore to junior year like his freshmen to sophomore year I wouldn't be surprised

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad