OT: Your handedness

What is your handedness?

• Total voters

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Inspired by last night's GDT discussion. Discuss which activities you do with which hand. I'm just curious. If you're in doubt, according to a book I read, psychologists define one's handedness as your primary writing hand.
RIGHT HANDED. EXCEPTION IS WHEN I USE FORK AND SPOON I HAVE FORK IN MY LEFT HAND. AND I OBVIOUSLY HAVE STICK TO THE LEFT, LIKE MOST RIGHT HANDED PEOPLE.

MOM’S A LEFTIE.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Ambidextrous. I write lefty, shoot and golf righty, throw righty, and when I played baseball I was a switch hitter.
To be fair, I can write with my right hand, but it looks like the handwriting of someone in kindergarten. I posted this over on the Coyotes board a little while ago:

vF4tRaC.png

I also had this to say because they think I'm weird for being left handed:

h2eU4AV.png

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
STICK IS GENERALLY A REVERSE OF YOUR WRITING HAND.
I’ve heard that it depends more on what age you start and what other sports you play, than handedness. If you start really young, your dominant hand is more comfortable higher, so you shoot offhand. But if you start older or have already played golf or baseball, righties tend to shoot right.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I’ve heard that it depends more on what age you start and what other sports you play, than handedness. If you start really young, your dominant hand is more comfortable higher, so you shoot offhand. But if you start older or have already played golf or baseball, righties tend to shoot right.
This makes sense. I imagine that most American kids play baseball before they play hockey, so the higher hand theory checks out.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Agreed. shoot lefty in hockey, throw and swing lefty. "The Natural".

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

Hockey is a weird one to me. My first experience with anything close to hockey was one Christmas, my dad cut the bottom of a Christmas tree, and thinking that it looked like a hockey puck, I grabbed a broom and pretended it was a hockey stick, put on my inline skates, and had fun in the driveway for hours. I was around seven years old at the time and had already played golf for several years (right handed) but held the broom like a left-handed hockey stick. I asked my parents for a street hockey stick that Christmas and received a left-handed stick. That's how I came to shoot left in hockey. Playing goaltender is a little weird to me as well, because I catch right, but because you're supposed to handle the puck with your stick hand on top and glove hand on bottom, it's as if you're shooting right, so it's completely backwards. Playing softball growing up, I was a switch hitter early on, and actually made better contact as a right-handed hitter, but abandoned trying to bat that way because batting left handed feels way more comfortable. Also, I was left eye dominant, which is why, regarding another topic brought up, I shoot a rifle, shotgun, handgun, and bow all left handed. I have keratoconus so I'm now right eye dominant, but I still shoot left handed. I just see at only about 20/50 out of my left eye even with my contact lenses in.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Hockey is a weird one to me. My first experience with anything close to hockey was one Christmas, my dad cut the bottom of a Christmas tree, and thinking that it looked like a hockey puck, I grabbed a broom and pretended it was a hockey stick, put on my inline skates, and had fun in the driveway for hours. I was around seven years old at the time and had already played golf for several years (right handed) but held the broom like a left-handed hockey stick. I asked my parents for a street hockey stick that Christmas and received a left-handed stick. That's how I came to shoot left in hockey. Playing goaltender is a little weird to me as well, because I catch right, but because you're supposed to handle the puck with your stick hand on top and glove hand on bottom, it's as if you're shooting right, so it's completely backwards. Playing softball growing up, I was a switch hitter early on, and actually made better contact as a right-handed hitter, but abandoned trying to bat that way because batting left handed feels way more comfortable. Also, I was left eye dominant, which is why, regarding another topic brought up, I shoot a rifle, shotgun, handgun, and bow all left handed. I have keratoconus so I'm now right eye dominant, but I still shoot left handed. I just see at only about 20/50 out of my left eye even with my contact lenses in.
First organized sport I played was hockey starting at four, so I shoot left as a right handed person. However, I start little league a year later, and because I identified as a righty, all my coaches and parents taught me to bat as a righty. But having already played hockey as a lefty, it became very easy for me to switch back and forth and a could switch hit with power (for a little leaguer) pretty quickly. I can throw and catch with both hands as well, but usually do that as a righty. Except a frisbee, can’t throw those with my right for whatever reason. When I ultimately switched to playing goalie, I played that as a righty only.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
First organized sport I played was hockey starting at four, so I shoot left as a right handed person. However, I start little league a year later, and because I identified as a righty, all my coaches and parents taught me to bat as a righty. But having already played hockey as a lefty, it became very easy for me to switch back and forth and a could switch hit with power (for a little leaguer) pretty quickly. I can throw and catch with both hands as well, but usually do that as a righty. Except a frisbee, can’t throw those with my right for whatever reason. When I ultimately switched to playing goalie, I played that as a righty only.

I want to join a recreational softball team in the near future. My plan is, and not just to screw with everybody (even though it probably will), to show up to my first team event (whether practice or a game) with three different gloves - a (right-handed) catcher's mitt, a left-handed first baseman's mitt, and a right-handed fielding glove. I can throw a softball (or baseball) pretty much ambidextrously now, though a bit more adeptly with my right hand, because I've taught myself to throw left handed quite well over the years. My husband's pretty big into disc golf, and it still kind of bewilders him that I can throw discs with either hand. As with most people who are ambidextrous, each side has strengths and weaknesses. If I want pure power, I'll throw a disc forehand with my left hand. My most accurate throw is a left-handed backhand. Throwing a disc with my right hand (whether forehand or backhand) is about somewhere in the middle between power and accuracy.

The general trend, however, for me, is that if I want accuracy and precision, I use my left hand, and if I want sheer power and brute force, I use my right hand. This is mostly related to that when I broke my left arm when I was six years old, my elbow did not heal properly. I've been offered by several doctors to have it re-broken and set back in place, but have yet to bother. I might be more "purely" left handed if not for that. Here's what it looks like:

uY8OyK8.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad