Your Evaluation of Jake Muzzin...

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I wonder who was the pro scout that recommended him as he seems too slow to me and makes questionable decisions like the one tonight against the Islanders that cost us the first goal against. It seems to me that we paid a steep price for what he brings. I hope he proves me wrong by playing well in the last few games and the playoffs.
Trying to fit in, and play Babcock's system, will make any hockey player look worse than they really are. ;)

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
quick explainer?
You can read read the full explanation in their glossary, but essentially they adjust measures like CF and xGF based on strength, zone starts, and Quality of players on the ice, on a shift by shift basis by using regression.

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
Leave him with a consistent partner and we will have a better look at how he’s been and will be. It’s been said good shot, physical, puts up numbers but is a step slow and takes bad pinches for hits. I think he will turn it up for the playoffs and will win some hearts.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
A big, slow, effective defender. If he is put in the right playing conditions, perfect bottom 3rd pair, can do spot duty in the top 4.

For the love that all is Blue and White, never let him do a PP break out again, he burns 45 seconds just skating up to the center line ;) .... dude is slow.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You can read read the full explanation in their glossary, but essentially they adjust measures like CF and xGF based on strength, zone starts, and Quality of players on the ice, on a shift by shift basis by using regression.

cool, thanks. I think they use cf for qoc, though, and only zone starts instead of all shifts, unfortunately - corsica was so damn good. too bad.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Where do you come up with something like this???
Muzzin is a legitimate top pairing defenseman and has been for years

Different system, different team.

LA had a D to D system where you almost always had an outlet pass, in Toronto we often use a stretch pass system where you don't usually have an outlet like you did in LA. We have a much faster system that benefits dmen like Gardiner, Rielly, Dermott.

Jake is not a bad Dman, not by any means, I like his game since he has been here, IMO in our system he is not as impactfull as he was in a grinding slower system.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Different system, different team.

LA had a D to D system where you almost always had an outlet pass, in Toronto we often use a stretch pass system where you don't usually have an outlet like you did in LA. We have a much faster system that benefits dmen like Gardiner, Rielly, Dermott.

Jake is not a bad Dman, not by any means, I like his game since he has been here, IMO in our system he is not as impactfull as he was in a grinding slower system.

I get that our system is different, but he's still a #2 quality defenseman here too. He looked good with Rielly, and the stats supported them working as a pairing, then for no apparent reason Babcock throws Hainsey back on that pair and sends Muzzin to the 3rd...

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Ideally Muzzin is not a #2 defenseman but a 2nd pairing defenceman. In a perfect world we would have Reilly and a true #2 defenceman handling the opposing team's elite lines, with Muzzin taking on a bit less minutes on the 2nd pairing. That being said, ideally he needs to be playing with a great skating, lower-risk defenceman (Dermott?).

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Ideally Muzzin is not a #2 defenseman but a 2nd pairing defenceman. In a perfect world we would have Reilly and a true #2 defenceman handling the opposing team's elite lines, with Muzzin taking on a bit less minutes on the 2nd pairing. That being said, ideally he needs to be playing with a great skating, lower-risk defenceman (Dermott?).

I personally don't feel this way. I mean, if there's no cap, and you can get an even better #2 then sure, I guess, but I don't see any issue with Muzzin as a true #2. I think him being paired with an strong skating, offensive type #1 such as Rielly (or an all-around in the case of Doughty) is ideal, but he provides the kind of supporting qualities a good #2 should have imo.

I think the "problem" per se the last few games with Zaitsev-Muzzin is that on that pairing Muzzin is the more offensive one. That's a bad composition imo. Muzzin needs the guy he can quick up/outlet to, and he can be the defensive guy when transitioning zones and the point shot when we're all up in the offensive zone.

I think Muzzin and Riellys games are good compliments to each other.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Muzzin was a top D on a near last place Kings, traded to top 6 Leafs, complete basket case after 4 or 5 games. The Babcock effect???

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
cool, thanks. I think they use cf for qoc, though, and only zone starts instead of all shifts, unfortunately - corsica was so damn good. too bad.
Yea I think so too. I’m eagerly awaiting the day HockeyViz incorporates more than just shot location into it’s “threat model” because I think besides that it’s the most methodically sound.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
from a visual perspective, I wish he felt the pressure a little better. He tries to make space for himself with his body to carry the puck with one hand on his stick a lot and seems to lose it too often but just a little more panic in his game would let him avoid that.

however, he's obviously worthy and a hell of an upgrade, and it's nice to see one of the dmen smashing bodies at the blueline

I have no issue with a top pairing of Rielly-Muzzin, that's respectable by any standard. I think Muzzin looks better on the off side than Rielly: he's the shooter so better to have him offset when we have the puck, he likes to have one hand on his stick anyway so keeping the offensive blue line on his off side seems a little more natural for him than most, and he likes to use the body to defend the defensive blue line so stick placement matters a little less

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Solid pickup. Will pay dividends in the playoffs. Passes the eye-test.

I think he's put himself out of position a few times to make some big hits. Not counting this as a negative - my theory is he wants to show the team he'll man up and be physical to fit into the room to let the guys play a bit "bigger". Don't like him on his offside but as ^Rando point out above, 2 hands on the stick a bit more would be nice.

Reactions: unitedstars87

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Muzzin: 17gms, 10pts (48pt pace), +6, 52.5cf%, 52.7scf%

still not enough icetime though (19:16).

Reactions: KIWILEAFFAN

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Rielly (25) Hainsey (19)
Muzzin (19) Zaitsev (19)
Gardiner 19) Dermott (19)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Jake Muzzin is scoring at a 48 point pace (10 points in 17 games) and has had good analytics, and has added an element of physicality sorely needed.

Some people still not being happy with him is like classic HF.

Reactions: Menzinger

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
This guy has been awful lately. Not a liability but noticeable in a negative way. Watching him labor around the ice in the Vancouver game was horrible to watch. He was completely exposed during the 3 on 3 as well.

We didn't need someone to come in and take over the team. We just needed someone solid who doesn't get exposed. Unfortunately Muzzin hasn't been doing that.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
There's not enough Jake Muzzin appreciation on this board.

If people cared/gave a damn they would want him as the Captain of this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad