Your Emotional Investment

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Wow for those saying rhetorical comments like support your team or one bad year. It has nothing to do with that!! It's all about our owners intentions that we are assuming from his carefully placed lingo on "budget" and the current and past dealing with our teams two best players. My previous post stands on this. I will support this team financially based on our owners actions this upcoming season

So if Euge spends to the cap and the team goes 0-82, you'll still buy season tickets?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Being a Senators fan doesn't have an on/off switch for me. I dont choose to be a Sens fan, I just am. Winning is just a bonus.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Being a Senators fan doesn't have an on/off switch for me. I dont choose to be a Sens fan, I just am. Winning is just a bonus.

I think you pretty much put it perfectly. I'm not going to stop being a fan after 20 years because an owner won't spend money. Hawks fans went through Wirtz, Bruins fans went through the Jacobs penny pinching years, they have had it a lot worse.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I think you pretty much put it perfectly. I'm not going to stop being a fan after 20 years because an owner won't spend money. Hawks fans went through Wirtz, Bruins fans went through the Jacobs penny pinching years, they have had it a lot worse.

Even the Leafs had the Ballard years. Eugene may be bad, but he has nothing on Dollar Bill Wirtz and Harold Ballard.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I grew up in a MTL area around Habs fans, I just couldn't associate myself with this fan base, Havlat was my favorite player at the time and I fell in love with Hossa, Alfie, the Phillips Volchenkov duo (Yeah Phillips is bad now but he was a rock back then). We had some great years, a span where it was easy to be a fan, but now we are struggling a bit and Melnyk is really not helping us..

That being said, I'll never stop being a Senators fans, I fell in love with Karlsson since he's in the league. Even if the Senators suck forever I'll watch them just to see him play, amazing talent. I invest myself a bit too much though... I spend a lot of money on the team and I expect big thing, I am that kind of guy, I just finished my JR Hockey years and I rarely miss a Senators game and when they lose it hurts a bit haha! Well, I love this team, and I would just hope our owner gives us a bit more hope than that. I travel a lot to see this team and sometimes it frustrates me to hear him say the things he says, I don't say spend to the cap, but not to the floor either...

I still have hope for next year, I hope we'll make the playoffs and everyone here has a great time, cause times are depressing here

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
So if Euge spends to the cap and the team goes 0-82, you'll still buy season tickets?

No that's not what I meant. My previous post was relevant

It will be hard to keep invested in the team if Melnyk only care is to make the team as profitable as possible. If he wants to sacrifice quality for additional profit I'm not feeding his gravy train.

Would you pay the same price of a Land Rover for a hyundai santa fe just because you're a fan of Hyundai. Not likely. OK maybe not the best metaphor but you get the point

Forbes had the Senators as 15th most profitable team in the NHL and that was before the TSN deal. Melnyk needs to invest into the team similar to where it ranks otherwise I'm not interested in supporting him financially

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Oh there's an investment. :skeptic: Sometimes the dividends pays higher at different junctions of the year. But I am universally born to cheer for Ottawa-based teams. I'll admit I'm fickle sometimes but I'm first in line to back our boys when the going gets tough!

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Chiming in here. I'm as emotionally invested in this team as I've ever been. Losing Alfie did severely turn me off for a couple of months but I can't help it, I love hockey and my team will remain my team unless they disappear or move. I probably should feel less attached after the way they treated the best captain they've ever had, but no, I've got BWD(Un-PC term, I'll let you figure it out). The bitterness remains yet it does not diminish my passion.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly question management on certain decisions and the budget stuff irritates me, so I'm hoping things somehow improve and we ice a competent lineup instead of becoming a consistent bubble team though. But all of these concerns I only have because I love the Sens so much and I want to enjoy cheering for a winning team rather than mirroring a Leafs fan's experience. Fingers crossed!

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
People here have no patience.

Look at LA! Years of garbage and false hopes and now they have a cup under their belt and a possible 2nd on the way.

Look at Chicago! Decades of false hopes and tinkering, I mean look at their team in 2009 for crying out loud! Most of their important depth players were irrelevant.

Look at Boston! I remember when Tim Thomas was a nobody with as many wins as losses. Look at them now!

Look at Vancouver! 40 years and 3 failed tries at the cup.

Look at Calgary! What have they done recently or will do in the future? They haven't done much for decades either!

Look at Minnesota! Have they even had their version of an Alfie or Karlsson yet?

A lot of you take things for granted on this board and have no patience to achieve excellence. Someday I will look back on these threads and laugh at the ridiculousness of these posts as we go for our 2nd or 3rd Stanley cup.

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
So sick of the Melnyk talk.

This team had the players to compete, and they failed miserably. Had nothing to do with the ****ing owner.

The weak ass Habs went to the freaking conference finals, the year after this team embarrassed them worse than any in their storied history.

The on ice leaders are to blame.

My emotional investment will be full force once the season starts. Right now though I'm trying to ignore all hockey. It was a very disappointing season.....and I'm mad.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
A summer of watching baseball highlights will get me emotionally invested by October.

At least we have the World Cup.

This year, we weren't exactly involved in the late playoff race so it's easy to take a step back even earlier than usual.

I'm sure I'll be excited when the puck drops in 4 months.

I guess we'll see how long it lasts.

John Holmes*

I wonder if Melnyk has ever seen the end of Moneyball.

You know...where Oakland's misfits implode because their fundamentals chew.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Making the playoffs and then getting slapped around like children 12 of 15 times is supposed to make me feel lucky?

Sorry, that is not success, regardless of how you spin it.

16 of 30 make the playoffs, then only 8 of sixteen don't get slapped around and sent home in the first round.

There are teams spending hockey bags full of money and are in one of these two groups, are they not trying to win either?

It is a tough league to win in and if you can't support a young rebuilding team that has shown promise, then just move on.

All the whining and complaining doesn't change anything, it only suggests you have already stopped supporting the team and are no longer a fan.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
as loyal as a fan I am to this team, I'm not as emotionally invested in them as I was when I was younger. I used to be visibly upset for a few days when they had all those loses to the leafs especially.

However, as i've got older even though I may get mildly annoyed by their play or trades, etc, I don't dwell on it for very long. Hell, I don't even watch a lot of their games during the regular season to be honest.. I keep track through sites like this, nhl.com, or different Sens blogs when I get a chance..although I'll watch all of their playoff games.

Life happens and it's hard to keep track of the team like I religiously used to do when I was 12-13 years old, for example

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It has been a tough year for Sens fans. I can tell my emotional investment by how often I am checking the nhl stats and standings pages. When the team is hot, I am there all the time. This year … well not so much. Regular life is no longer being put on hold for Sens games.

Melnyks comments have made it tough, as he even basically threatened that fans in Ottawa should be used to teams like the Rough Riders that develop talent for the rest of the league when he was pouting and cajoling like Bryden used to do, only with no class or gifts like Bryden had.

But on the other hand, the Sens do have a pretty good management team. Not just Murray who has been such a breath of fresh air able to make moves, and good moves, but we also have a good management team.

Although all the Melnyk talk is tough to take, the thing is, I can take Melynks arguments, strip all the perceived pouting and extortion out of them, and re-use them to make a very valid hockey case that we shouldn’t be spending right now. That trading players like Spezza right now is an important part of the renewal we are undergoing. You might even call it: the philly or boston model.

It is really hard and time consuming to develop a contender. LA, Chi, Pens pretty much took a decade. A decade of whining by their fans of the injustices followed by a decade crowing how great they are cause they have the patience to develop right.

When BMurrs first move as GM was to sign Spez and Heatley as UFA’s, that team was given every chance to fulfill the dream and team we had patiently built player by player over a decade of no salary cap. And over the decade of the salary cap, it was dismantled pretty much one elite player a year until finally when missing the playoffs one year we traded Fisher and Kelley and got 3 firsts. Some exuberant fans actually thought we had gone through a zero yr rebuild and are now disappointed it is still going on.

This team is now renewing; as it should be. We have a new franchise player, a great built from the backend out young core, and many forwards to sift through and develop. And more draft picks to come. If we could add three $7mil players ,would we be a contender? I doubt it, but its moot, there is no cap room for three $7mil players. This is why it is so important to develop. Cost per point is not just a budget decision, it is also a smart hockey decision.

Of course eventually the team has to spend. But if it develops well enough and becomes good enough to be dangerous, the cost per point will encourage spending.

Yes Melnyks public comments are embarrassing and deflating. But the management team can still use this direction to smartly develop a contender still. The plan and vision seem as plain as day to me. There’s no revolving door of players, there’s renewal. This team is not in a position to stagnate with a closed door for players.

I see no reason for despair yet. And it is somewhat surprising how many Sens fans have fallen back on that old canard of ufa spending our way to a champ. That's not the way. And it will never be the way for us.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It will be easy to improve this defence. We just need to wait until they get good enough to spend on.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It will be easy to improve this defence. We just need to wait until they get good enough to spend on.

We had a #1 goalie, Norris winning d-man, #1 centre, #2 centre, and solid wingers. Not sure what we were waiting for. Defence was the biggest concern heading into the season and we did absolutely nothing to address it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Murray bet, and lost, on Cowen and Weircioch

What I'm very curious about is what is he going to do this year now that we know the D is bad enough that it could be a serious problem? Does he roll the dice on Boro and hope for the best?

The D needs a lot of work and the defensive system (which includes the forwards who cheat way too much) needs a lot of work. If they sell us the idea that they think Cowen, Weircioch and Boro will have improved to the point of being able to be consistent at the NHL level I am going to be very angry.

John Holmes*

The A's are in a **** division. Try moneyballing in the AL East.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad