Your dream lines for next season

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Using only Roster players / AHL / SINGED or drafted LEAF players what would be your ideal lines for next season
(NO USING PLAYERS FROM OTHER TEAMS)
I'm just curious to see everyone options are, and who they feel deserves to slot in where. feel free to explain why if needed or debate other HF member rosters but I'm super curious in seeing what players / line up you would like to see for the 2018 season before the camp.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Tavares-Marner
johnsson-Kadri-K.K
Levio-GOAT-Brown

Rielly-Hainsey
Dermott-Ozhiganov
Gardiner-Zaitsev
I'd like to see Lilegren as the 7th but i doubt it

Please post your ideal lines so i can see what you guys are thinking ! would love to see the different options / options you guys have

Last edited:

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Kapanen-Tavares-Brown
Marner-Nylander-Leivo
Johnson-Mathews-Ennis
Hyman-Kadri-Marleau

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Grundstrom-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Brown-Kadri-Marleau
Hyman-Gauthier-Kapanen

Rielly-Dermott
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Ozhiganov

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Its difficult for me to think of my dream lines, because to me the dream lines would be the ones that should maximize performance of the team, and I really don't have a clue what lineup would do that. That being said, here's what I would love to see tried out for my own satisfaction to see if it works/doesn't work.

L1 - Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
L2 - Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
L3 - Leivo-Kadri-Kappy
L4 - Hyman-GOAT-Brown

D1 - Gardner-Reilly
D2 - Dermott-Zaitsev
D3 - Hainsey-Oziganov
extra: Carrick, Ennis

L1 - AJ and Hyman to me are different players, but I feel that with the addition of Tavares that line will be defensively responsible enough and tenacious enough that we don't need Hyman to retrieve pucks on it and AJ will bring a much more lethal offensive element to that line.
L2 - I think based on Babcock's comments, this appears to be a line already planned, look forward to seeing how that works.
L3 - In the short stint Leivo had playing with Kadri, it looked like he performed pretty well and now that Kadri will likely get to face off against other teams 3rd lines, I see it as a real good opportunity for him to show up or shut up (or he's likely gone). Kappy again has a good balance of offensive and defensive skill with a ton of potential to improve on that much more. Would be interesting to see.
L4 - This line can be used sparingly 5 on 5, but it has potential to be one of the best shut down lines ever. If GOAT finally makes that jump as a solid 4th line/shutdown C, anytime we have big leads or even games where we have a 1 goal lead and want to finish off cleanly, this line will frustrate the crap out of our opponents.

D1 - Obvious question here is will Reilly be able to play the right side successfully against other teams top lines, if so, this could be an amazing top D line for us.
D2 - Assuming Dermott continues his rapid progression/development, I'm hopeful he takes that spot on the top 4. Zaitsev I'm hoping goes back to being good like he was in year 1
D3 - By moving Reilly to the right side, all of a sudden our 3rd pairing I think looks pretty good with Hainsey on that 3rd pairing which should limit his 5-5 mins to be more effective for a long run this season :naughty:. I'm really cheering for this Ozzy guy, given his style of play, I hope he can be all the good things Polak was with very few of his minuses.

Ultimately lineup above could be a disaster, or not the 'dream' output which would mean its not my dream lines, but because I'm not in the head of the coaching staff, I don't know why something like above would/would not work, since it hasn't been tried out.

AHHHHH...Can the season start please!!!

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
I don't care much for the FWD lines as long as Leivo gets a shot. My main concern is the D pairing and I see people share similar opinions as myself. It's time we move Rielly to the right side. He's played there before and it would give us a legit first pairing with Gardiner - Rielly.

Gardiner - Rielly
Dermott - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Carrick

This looks amazing and allows us to limit Hainsey's time at 5v5. He looked worn out by the playoffs looking slow and scared with the puck. Still, give him a ton of PK minutes but this allows us to use him less and hopefully, he won't burn out. Oziganov should also be given a shot against Carrick as he should also be able to pick up the PK minutes that Polak played.

Also, McBackup deserves to be the backup unless he struggles hard. Had an elite season for a backup and deserves the spot.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Brown matthews marner
Kapanen Tavares nylander
Marleau kadri bracco
Grundstrom lindholm Hyman

Reilly Zaitsev
Gardiner hainsey
Dermott carrick
Liljegren

Reactions: IhateEveryone

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Its difficult for me to think of my dream lines, because to me the dream lines would be the ones that should maximize performance of the team, and I really don't have a clue what lineup would do that. That being said, here's what I would love to see tried out for my own satisfaction to see if it works/doesn't work.

L1 - Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
L2 - Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
L3 - Leivo-Kadri-Kappy
L4 - Hyman-GOAT-Brown

D1 - Gardner-Reilly
D2 - Dermott-Zaitsev
D3 - Hainsey-Oziganov
extra: Carrick, Ennis

L1 - AJ and Hyman to me are different players, but I feel that with the addition of Tavares that line will be defensively responsible enough and tenacious enough that we don't need Hyman to retrieve pucks on it and AJ will bring a much more lethal offensive element to that line.
L2 - I think based on Babcock's comments, this appears to be a line already planned, look forward to seeing how that works.
L3 - In the short stint Leivo had playing with Kadri, it looked like he performed pretty well and now that Kadri will likely get to face off against other teams 3rd lines, I see it as a real good opportunity for him to show up or shut up (or he's likely gone). Kappy again has a good balance of offensive and defensive skill with a ton of potential to improve on that much more. Would be interesting to see.
L4 - This line can be used sparingly 5 on 5, but it has potential to be one of the best shut down lines ever. If GOAT finally makes that jump as a solid 4th line/shutdown C, anytime we have big leads or even games where we have a 1 goal lead and want to finish off cleanly, this line will frustrate the crap out of our opponents.

D1 - Obvious question here is will Reilly be able to play the right side successfully against other teams top lines, if so, this could be an amazing top D line for us.
D2 - Assuming Dermott continues his rapid progression/development, I'm hopeful he takes that spot on the top 4. Zaitsev I'm hoping goes back to being good like he was in year 1
D3 - By moving Reilly to the right side, all of a sudden our 3rd pairing I think looks pretty good with Hainsey on that 3rd pairing which should limit his 5-5 mins to be more effective for a long run this season :naughty:. I'm really cheering for this Ozzy guy, given his style of play, I hope he can be all the good things Polak was with very few of his minuses.

Ultimately lineup above could be a disaster, or not the 'dream' output which would mean its not my dream lines, but because I'm not in the head of the coaching staff, I don't know why something like above would/would not work, since it hasn't been tried out.

AHHHHH...Can the season start please!!!

I see the GOAT finally making it too and even be able to moving up to the third line if any of Tavares, Matthews or Kadri get hurt.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I see the GOAT finally making it too and even be able to moving up to the third line if any of Tavares, Matthews or Kadri get hurt.

Don’t know if he will but just hopeful. It does appear it’s his to lose according to that ‘luvdahattymatty’ guy who posts here, he seems to have some legit connections. So maybe he knows something

member 147413

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Leivo - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Hyman
Kapanen - Lindholm - Brown

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Carrick
Dermott - Hainsey

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Grundstrom-Gauthier-Brown

Leivo

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Ozhiganov

Borgman/Carrick

Andersen
McElhinney/Sparks/Pickard

------------------------------------------------

Forward lines I tried to scatter as much grit throughout to compliment our skill. Hyman, Kadri, Grundstrom, and Brown, while not heavyweights, can at least muck it up in the corners and play with a bit of toughness. I debated between putting Brown up with Kadri instead of Kapanen, but I believe it'll be more beneficial to have the more skilled player play more minutes with the more skilled linemates. If Brown does end up playing above Kapanen it's not too big of a deal. His speed will also be a nightmare to deal with. It's also why I've put Grundstrom on the fourth line over Leivo. I think he'll be of more use to us mucking things up on the fourth line. Leivo can tag in when there's an injury or someone needs a break. Sorry Josh. The rest of the forward lines are based on what Babs has said and previous chemistry between players.

Edit: Also I’m personally cheering for Freddy the Goat to finally make the team as a penalty killing, defensively responsible fourth line centre. Far as I’m concerned this is his last chance as he was actually healthy this offseason to train unlike last year, though the fact that the Leafs have twice now traded for 4Cs instead of just using him is telling. If he doesn’t make it this year I’ll give up on him, but I’m hoping he'll surprise.

On defense nothing really much has changed, save for inserting Ozhiganov into the lineup in place of Polak. It's kind of a perfect fit seeing as their the same height (though Polak has a few pounds on Ozhiganov) and Igor has been known to throw the body around in the KHL. He's a bit speedier from what I've seen and also younger. Hopefully he has at least the same impact that rookie Zaitsev did. If he could be good enough to replace Hainsey on Rielly's pairing that'd be huge, but I'm not presuming anything in that regard. As for the 7th D just flip a coin between Carrick and Borgman.

Andersen will obviously start. The backup doesn't matter to me as I believe all options are capable. My only ask is whoever we end up not picking we don't lose them for nothing.

Last edited:

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Marleau - Matthews - Marner (a Matthews Marner duo could be special)

Hyman - Tavares - Kadri. ( Forecheck would be beastly, they'd out work everyone. )

Kapanen- Nylander - Johnasson (sheltered skilled euros...could be a dominant line in favorable matchups)

Brown - Lindholm - Leivo
(two way utility line)

Big difference is Kadri on the wing....not everyone will like that

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
1st Line:
Marleau - Matthews - Marner
Tons of skill and all three of them are close off the ice, and would likely have great chemistry on the ice as a result, they are also defensively responsible and would not have to be sheltered from anyone in the league.

2nd Line:
Johnsson - Tavares - Nylander
Lots of speed an skill, Johnsson can get pucks from down low and feed Tavares and Nylander. Johnsson and Tavares are also good defensively, and Nylander is elite at carrying the puck and entering the offensive zone.

3rd Line:
Hyman - Kadri - Kapanen
All three guys are fast, great defensively and are jerks to play against. This line would be relentless on the forecheck and drive the opposing lines crazy. Would be a great shut down line.

4th Line:
Leivo/Ennis - Goat/Lindholm - Brown
This line wont get much ice time, but would be able to go head to head against other 4th lines, Brown would get additional time on the Penalty Kill and Powerplay​

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Me thinks Babs is going to have fun trying to find out which combinations work best. Looking at the above, regardless of how you fill out the dance card, there are a lot of scary combinations this team can ice.
For me, today's line up looks something like this:

Kadri Matthews Hyman (tenacious, I'd be happy to see this line go up against Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta, approx 18 min/game)
Marleau Tavares Marner (pro's pros, flip of the coin against Hagalin, Malkin, Kessel, approx 18 min/game)
Johnsson Nylander Kapanen (speed, could any team's third keep up, approx 16 min/game)
Leivo Goat Brown (grinding for goals, all depends on whether Goat's got his legs back , approx 8 min/game)
Ennis/Lindholm

Dermott Rielly (a decent 2nd pairing RD...)
Gardiner Carrick/Zaitsev (would go such a long way...)
Hainsey Zaitsev/Carrick (in propping up our D)
Rosen/Holl

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Matthews Tavares Brown
Marleau Kadri Marner
Johnsson Nylander Kapanen
Leivo Hyman Jooris
Lindholm

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Leivo - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Johnsson - Lindholm - Kapanen

Change Marner and Brown, if the third line can't get going without Mitch, which I suspect.

Reactions: Eb

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Tavares-Marner
Leivo-Kadri-Brown
Hyman-Lindholm-Kapanen

Rielly Gardiner
Hainsey Zaitsev
Dermott Carrick