Your biggest triumph and your worst nightmare this season

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Triumph: Making the playoffs or showing huge improvement and just missing out on the playoffs OR Finishing so bad that we draft Mcdavid or Eichel and Eakins gets fired.

Nightmare:Drafting between 8-10, Eakins keeps his job, Yakupov requests a trade.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Nightmare: Fan base manages to embarrass itself even further after the jersey tossing and billboards

I beg to differ.

Fan outrage --> Organization wakes up --> Bob Nicholson hiring --> purge of Ol' boys club member assistant coaches.
Not a chance in Blue Hell these things happen without the Fan outrage.

Pat yourselves on the back outraged fans. You made it happen.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Nightmare: Fan base manages to embarrass itself even further after the jersey tossing and billboards

If anything the organization has embarrassed itself
The first jersey thrown and the billboard were warranted IMO
It's pretty simple. Improve the on ice product and the fans will be content. Unfortunately this organization has not been able to improve in the last few years so of course there will be backlash from the fans who pay 150+ per ticket not to mention parking fees and overpriced concessions to watch crap on the ice

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Worst nightmare: Calgary wins the lottery and drafts the next generational player.

Best dream: Calgary's 1st pick generational player turns out to be Alexander Daigle type and bombs.

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
Triumph
1) Nuge plays the whole year and looks like a 1C rather than a 2C
2) Yak bounces back
3) Arco or Lander make the next step
4) winning the draft lottery while finishing 10th in the west
5) One of the goalies step up
6) Justin Schultz takes the next step and has a Letang like year (or Mike Green from 5 years ago)

Worst Nightmare
1) Eakins doesn't learn a thing from last year and we suck again
2) Eakins nails it to Yak ruining his confidence, we dump him for a big bodied 3rd line winger, on his new team Yak scores 15 goals in 20 games
3) we rush Drai and Eakins ruins him forever
4) all our "pickups" disappoint
5) we finish 5th worst in the NHL, lose the lottery... basically suck but miss out on a star from the draft... but since we improved in the standings, MacT keeps his support for Eakins
6) injuries

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Triumph; a full season of average to above average goaltending.

Nightmare; an alien creature tears itself out of the inside of Taylor halls face during an interview and murders the entire news team. Humanity is enslaved.

Oct 30, 2011

Nightmare; an alien creature tears itself out of the inside of Taylor halls face during an interview and murders the entire news team. Humanity is enslaved.

As long as we get the cup, i don't mind if humanity is enslaved.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
pretty much this.

for the love of God/Gaia/the Force, JUST GET BETTER!!!!

Another season like last year will kill me. I don't know what might happen, but I might be done if that happens again.

Watch the Bruins. They are what the Oilers SHOULD be. Talent with precision...and NO Clode Wholien didnt get it right his first year and had a great team handed to him.

We will see this year. Last year i knew watching camp and preseason we were going to be done by december. I made my own thread about it and got flamed rabidly because we were "unstoppable" in pre-season...because only Oiler fans seem to value those wastes of time cash grab 60 minute injury risks.
Ill see what our camp and preseason looks like.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I beg to differ.

Fan outrage --> Organization wakes up --> Bob Nicholson hiring --> purge of Ol' boys club member assistant coaches.
Not a chance in Blue Hell these things happen without the Fan outrage.

Pat yourselves on the back outraged fans. You made it happen.

This exactly. If the fan outrage wasn't made so publicly and gotten national news coverage then we wouldn't be seeing any change at all.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
If anything the organization has embarrassed itself
The first jersey thrown and the billboard were warranted IMO
It's pretty simple. Improve the on ice product and the fans will be content. Unfortunately this organization has not been able to improve in the last few years so of course there will be backlash from the fans who pay 150+ per ticket not to mention parking fees and overpriced concessions to watch crap on the ice

I dont think most Oiler fans mind the losing. The last portion of the 13 season and most of the entire season last year were simply bad entertainment. I preferred watching the Flames and i know LOTS of OILER fans that were proud to say they were watching flame games. The flames were simply an entertaining team. I dont watch hockey because i am addicted...i watch hockey to be entertained. A boring system and half efforts doesnt entertain. Poor goaltending doesnt entertain. A system poorly executed and players not knowingnwhat they are doing you would THINK would be exciting in its chaos but the truth is it ends up going nowhere and the opposition jumps all over it.

I just frankly want to be entertained again. If this core cant do it this year...id honestly like to see a team of underdogs with no prepackaging be given oiler jerseys and go all in every night. Every season has gone the way i predicted and i predict we will be competitive this year to the point that...yes we are in the playoff picture of possibility come allstar break. Ill make true predictions at close of preseason once we see what we have amd how we utilize the tools.

I am cautiously optimistic. On paper we are worlds better than last year. FAYNE and Purcell to me are the big pieces that if they can brink their top game to our team and system....they are going to have people buying their jerseys by years end.

Last edited:

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011

What if he news team is Glen Healey, Mike Milbury, Jim Hughson and Pierre McQuire?

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Best dream: Calgary's 1st pick generational player turns out to be Alexander Daigle type and bombs.

Fun fact:

Daigle's first 4 years in the NHL - 0.25 goals/game, 0.59 points/game

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins career NHL totals: 0.23 goals/game, 0.73 points/game

Type?

MrOiler

Jul 28, 2006
Calgary
Triumph

- Oil are in the playoff race in the last 30 days of the schedule
- Yak and Schultz take a step up
- The goalie situation works out
- The center position is not exposed
- MacT's moves in the off-season make a definite improvement on the team
- Coaching is solid

Personally, I believe the Oil makes a big move as a contender once a few of the beasts of the West start to falter due to age/injuries (i.e. L.A., Chicago, Anahiem, St. Louis, San Jose). I'm thinking 2016/17 or 2017/2018.

Nightmare

- A rash of injuries to key players
- The center position is exposed all year long
- The goalie situation does not work out
- A repeat of last year - i.e. bottom 5
- Calgary is a much better team
- Calgary tanks and picks up McDavid in the draft (ouch)
- Yak flounders and demands a trade
- More jerseys on the ice (I'm not a fan of this)

Last edited:

ahawowow

Jun 29, 2009
Edmonton
Triumph:
-Playoffs
-Hall takes the next step (90+ points or 40 goals)
-Eberle returns to near PPG form
-RNH becomes a true #1 center
-Yakupov scores 30+ and silences his critics

Nightmares:
-Hall or RNH get injured
-Another nothing season that ends in 2014
-Gagner or Hemsky light us up in their returns
-Yakupov gets less than 50 points

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Triumph: We make the playoffs.

Nightmare: We are out of the playoff race in 2014.

I really don't care what individuals play well/don't play well. I want the TEAM to be competitive.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
You dont like Jim Hughson? The guy is decent play by play where decent is hard to come by.

I can't stand his blatent canuck cheering.
he talks about them in games they aren't playing, while play is going on.

" ♫♪♪♫ Oh Daniel passes it to Alex♫♪♫♪♪"

gag

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Nightmare : Fan base on HF continues to make excuses for atrocious management and coaching all while blaming the fan base for not being positive and accepting failure.

Jul 19, 2012
Triumph, being in the lottery again with a decent chance at getting a shot at McDavid.
Nightmare, missing the playoffs by 1 - 4 points and having no real good shot at McDavid.
Waking up in a cold sweat nightmare screaming, Calgary getting the top lottery pick and selecting McDavid.

Evil Ernie

Nov 2, 2011
Triumph, being in the lottery again with a decent chance at getting a shot at McDavid.
Nightmare, missing the playoffs by 1 - 4 points and having no real good shot at McDavid.
Waking up in a cold sweat nightmare screaming, Calgary getting the top lottery pick and selecting McDavid.

Can somebody PLEASE break it down for me why Connor McDavid is a generational player? I know that stats aren't everything, but every generational player I've seen (Lemieux, Gretz, Crosby) all have SICK stats. His numbers don't seem any better than a typical first round draft pick.

What am i missing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad