Your biggest "Blew it" player predictions.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
We all love to talk about the times we called it right about a player's development/impact with the Devils, but what about the other side of the coin? Who are your three biggest cases of blown player predictions as a Devils fan?

Here's my three:

1) David Hale: There was a time when I was convinced he was going to be a "poor man's Scott Stevens" - the kind of D who could play that rangy, physical, shut-down game as at least a solid 2nd-pair D. Didn't think he'd ever be as good as Stevens, (who is?) but thought there would at least be a valid style comparison. In the end Hale had a rather short NHL career as a soft, reluctant NHL defender who couldn't be confused with "self-confident" on the best of days.

2) Andy Greene: I admit it. For about the first 2-3 years of Greene's NHL career, I didn't like the guy. He seemed to me like a smallish, unimpressive Jack-of-all-trades and master-of-none kind of defender that could be had at a bargain price anywhere in the league. He just never really impressed me, and I really complained about him continually getting minutes over other Devils D prospects. Just didn't see him as having much potential for growth. Of course, the last few seasons have totally changed my mind. Greene has obviously become an excellent defender who can also chip in offensively. He's a major building-block long-term as well as probably our best overall D now.

3). Barry Tallackson: There was a time when many of us foresaw Tallackson replacing Holik as our prime power forward. After all, he had an impressive college career, and even seemed to play well initially in the AHL. Of course, none of that lasted, as Barry became less and less relevant every year, until the point that he could no longer earn a job...in the German league....

Honourable? Mention: Christian Berglund. At one point he seemed like a future top-6 player for us. Put up good number in international leagues and also in the AHL. Then he got to New Jersey and quickly showed he had virtually 0 hockey sense. Oh well, you live, you learn. :laugh:

MrLouniverse

frontline internet hero
Sep 19, 2012
(Las) Vegas
I contended for several years that Adrian Foster would eventually get a shot and could easily be a surprise comeback story. Win some lose some.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I thought Parise and Kovalchuk would become Team Legends ala Stevens,Elias,Marty etc

Blew that one big time . Instead became Legends in Leaving

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I preferred Nick Palmieri to Adam Henrqiue :facepalm:
I didn't really know much about Henrique yet when I was high on Palmieri, but I thought Palmieri would be a 20 goal scorer before the 11-12 season started. I predicted he would score 20, and I was very high on him.:laugh:
I thought Parise and Kovalchuk would become Team Legends ala Stevens,Elias,Marty etc

Blew that one big time . Instead became Legends in Leaving
Definitely. I thought #17 would be the next number hanging in the rock with 3, 4, 26, 27, 30. Thinking back on it now, GROSS!
youre right. he will have a hall of fame career with the canes now that he's healthy.

wheres my chisel and hammer......i need to stone out a bust.
Nice!:laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Loved Denis Pederson back in the day. I was more bummed about him being included in the Mogilny trade than Morrison. Concussions derailed Pederson's career, he looked like a solid #3 center in the making.

I really liked Christian Berglund. Thought he could be a perennial 20 goal winger.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I always thought Suglobov would turn into something solid especially after he scored in his debut. That was basically all we saw from him until he got jettisoned for Klee. He put up good numbers in Albany too. Another late 90's/early 2000's pick that bombed. Nice job Conte.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I liked Berglund too when he was coming up.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ari Ahonen is one to think about. He didn't really blow it, just wasn't given a chance really. I wish we would have waived him or traded him for peanuts when Marty signed the extension in 06. No chance for him after that. He left for Europe that Summer.

Was always irritated that Clemmensen got all kinds of starts, and he never got one. Not even when Marty was injured that time in early 05-06. He had to sit on the bench and got to do some warm ups in the pre game. That was the closest he got to NHL ice. Some people hyped Ahonen as if he would be better Marty, I don't believe that, but I think he could have been an average goalie in the NHL at worst.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Another one, I bet alot did this too, I know they did .

Tedenby . The hype around him was ridiculous after his rookie year

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Ari Ahonen is one to think about. He didn't really blow it, just wasn't given a chance really. I wish we would have waived him or traded him for peanuts when Marty signed the extension in 06. No chance for him after that. He left for Europe that Summer.

Was always irritated that Clemmensen got all kinds of starts, and he never got one. Not even when Marty was injured that time in early 05-06. He had to sit on the bench and got to do some warm ups in the pre game. That was the closest he got to NHL ice. Some people hyped Ahonen as if he would be better Marty, I don't believe that, but I think he could have been an average goalie in the NHL at worst.

Ahonen's record in Albany was god awful. That might be why they never gave him a game. God, our draft picks from 96-02 were flop city.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I preferred Nick Palmieri to Adam Henrqiue :facepalm:

he was actually one of, if not the only, players i was actually happy to see traded away. i never saw anything good out of him in the NHL, and even didn't like watching him in albany. there were only three guys i was ever actually upset at while watching them play, him, Eckford, and i won't say the last one on account of the **** storm.

not that i knew a lot about him prior to him watching him as a devil, but haven't heard his name in a while and wanted to throw that out there.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Another one, I bet alot did this too, I know they did .

Tedenby . The hype around him was ridiculous after his rookie year
He did have a nice season. I think he was more hyped before that though. I remember reading stuff like ''Second best forward arguably in this draft next to Stamkos.'' right after he was drafted.
Ahonen's record in Albany was god awful. That might be why they never gave him a game. God, our draft picks from 96-02 were flop city.

Save percentage was about the same or a little better than Clemmensen some years. I think a lot of it might have had to do with them wanting Ahonen having a starting role in the minors, rather than backing up Marty and not getting enough playing time. Clemmensen was about 4 or 5 years older, and they never projected him to be more than a backup.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
he was actually one of, if not the only, players i was actually happy to see traded away. i never saw anything good out of him in the NHL, and even didn't like watching him in albany. there were only three guys i was ever actually upset at while watching them play, him, Eckford, and i won't say the last one on account of the **** storm.

not that i knew a lot about him prior to him watching him as a devil, but haven't heard his name in a while and wanted to throw that out there.
Haha who was the unnamed one? By the way, don't be afraid to give your opinion man. Everyone's entitled to their own.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Haha who was the unnamed one? By the way, don't be afraid to give your opinion man. Everyone's entitled to their own.

ok lol here goes, Larsson... i was and still am excited as anyone about him, but watching him play in Albany was INFURIATING. don't get me wrong there was times he walked through guys into the off zone by himself, but when albany had control of the zone they would always lose it because of him.

to the point where if some one passed it back to him at the blue line, on the power play or even a nice cycle at ES, it was like watching in slow motion. ill put it this way, if the puck didn't trickle past him across the blue line ruining what they had going we would actually cheer.

let alone the head down play i have yet to see him fix. when he actually ended up receiving a pass and held onto it, he would look down at the puck for so long before lifting his head you thought he was checking it for defects. on many occasions it led to him being laid out.

i understand D-men take a little longer to mature and/or progress and i still see glimpses of him whether its him walking through guys while holding onto the puck or stopping 2 on 1s with out thinking twice. but the way he was hyped and from what i gathered i expected him to be amazing right out of the gate, or at least be able to handle himself with out looking like he was just giving this whole "hockey" thing a shot at times. thats with the expected rookie mistakes aside.

i think and know he will be amazing soon, i was just expecting it to be sooner.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
ok lol here goes, Larsson... i was and still am excited as anyone about him, but watching him play in Albany was INFURIATING. don't get me wrong there was times he walked through guys into the off zone by himself, but when albany had control of the zone they would always lose it because of him.

to the point where if some one passed it back to him at the blue line, on the power play or even a nice cycle at ES, it was like watching in slow motion. ill put it this way, if the puck didn't trickle past him across the blue line ruining what they had going we would actually cheer.

let alone the head down play i have yet to see him fix. when he actually ended up receiving a pass and held onto it, he would look down at the puck for so long before lifting his head you thought he was checking it for defects. on many occasions it led to him being laid out.

i understand D-men take a little longer to mature and/or progress and i still see glimpses of him whether its him walking through guys while holding onto the puck or stopping 2 on 1s with out thinking twice. but the way he was hyped and from what i gathered i expected him to be amazing right out of the gate, or at least be able to handle himself with out looking like he was just giving this whole "hockey" thing a shot at times. thats with the expected rookie mistakes aside.

i think and know he will be amazing soon, i was just expecting it to be sooner.

It's hard to say, but he could have been dogging it knowing he had an NHL spot locked up? I thought he looked good in the AHL, but I didn't watch every game. Henrique was kinda dogging it too before he got injured. He started to look good right before he got injured though. Larsson seemed to improve defensively this past season. Hoping we see some offense from him. Hopefully they unleash him this year. Having more offense from our blue line would be a godsend.

Get him and Zidlicky both giving out some offense, then we're way ahead of the game.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Sorry but what do you expect from an 19 and then 20 year old in the NHL

If you expected him to dominate, your expectations where way off. He is way ahead of basically every 20 year old prospect in the Minors who are touted as being the next big thing. How many 20 year olds can say they have played 102 Reg Season games by the age of 20 and looked good in the process. Has he been amazing ??? Nope, has he been good for his age, you better believe it.

Its not easy to develop into a top NHL defensemen. Everyone knows its harder to develop D instead of Forwards , it takes time. How many defensemen have became top defensemen in their first 2 years in the NHL. Very few, I can guarantee you

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
It's hard to say, but he could have been dogging it knowing he had an NHL spot locked up? I thought he looked good in the AHL, but I didn't watch every game. Henrique was kinda dogging it too before he got injured. He started to look good right before he got injured though. Larsson seemed to improve defensively this past season. Hoping we see some offense from him. Hopefully they unleash him this year. Having more offense from our blue line would be a godsend.

Get him and Zidlicky both giving out some offense, then we're way ahead of the game.

that is a possibility with a few aspects but watching him juggling the puck at the blue line like he did, you would have to try harder rather then try less to do what he was doing.

as for getting better, with out a doubt. i don't think at all should he ever go back down to the AHL let alone be scratched. based just on the way he was shutting multiple guys down by himself while having vets who are suppose to be by his side and looking confident as hell doing it.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
The third year is almost always the defensemen's breakout year.

Subban/Karlsson/Hedman/Pietrangelo/OEL

If he doesn't show even more improvement this year then I will be worried, but he has improved every year as he played more games and will continue to do so

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad