Your best scouting hits and misses?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Biggest hit was viktor arvidsson and biggest miss was Roman wick
Yessss arvidsson I have a tweet after he was undrafted or maybe it was after his wjc saying teams would be stupid not to pick this guy.

another miss of mine was McLeod in jersey. I really liked him in jersey but I just wasn’t looking deep enough. He was not well liked here or anywhere else I was stubborn on him. Hasn’t cracked the NHL yet.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Yessss arvidsson I have a tweet after he was undrafted or maybe it was after his wjc saying teams would be stupid not to pick this guy.

another miss of mine was McLeod in jersey. I really liked him in jersey but I just wasn’t looking deep enough. He was not well liked here or anywhere else I was stubborn on him. Hasn’t cracked the NHL yet.

i referred to him as Swedish Robin Hood because he did the bow and arrow celly after every goal, even empty netters

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
My most recent misses are probably Roby Jarventie, Tyler Kleven and Jake Sanderson... thought they would all be great prospects and then good/great players... Oh well, can't be right all the time.

At least I was right on Stuetzle!

Reactions: robsenz

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
I thought Curtis Lazar was going to be a captain for years to come.

I also thought Filly was going to do rebounds.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I was 100% sure that Patrick Eaves was going to be a legitimate star - and would rival Danny Haatley for point production in their respective careers.

Hoxtilicious

Bungle
Aug 10, 2016
I remember seeing Lazar playing for the Oil Kings and thinking he had absolutely zero hockey IQ or ability to make plays at a high level.

I also thought Shane Prince had untapped potential and was upset when he was traded for scraps

Reactions: cudi

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
the 1991-1992 Chrysler Challenge cup. In Montreal. Featuring the OHL v the QJMHL.

16 year Old Chris Pronger and his team mate and partner on Defense, Jason Cullimor. Cullimor was 18.
Pronger 6' 6", played the right side. Cullimor 6' 5", played the left side.
Cullimor played in the wjc in 92. Pronger played in 93.
Cullimore a second rounder 29th overall. Pronger a first rounder 2nd overall.
both began their junior careers as 16 year old. Although, I think Cullimor was 15 when he started.

One is an HOF. The other became a journeyman who played many years but was never anything more than a marginal player.

Siting there watching that game in Jan of 92 (I think), I was so sure both would be superstars. One hit, one miss. Till this day, I cannot figure out why Cullimor never developed.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I remember seeing Lazar playing for the Oil Kings and thinking he had absolutely zero hockey IQ or ability to make plays at a high level.

I also thought Shane Prince had untapped potential and was upset when he was traded for scraps

Ugh I used to hype him up to anyone who would listen lol

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
I only base scouting on in person and I am no savant. I don't watch enough junior hockey or AHL. Usually I form no opinion as I don't have enough of a sample size. That said I watched enough to think two things that I was sure of and that turned out:
1) Radko Gudas is going to be an NHL defenseman
2) I couldn't fathom, watching the 67s, what Cody Ceci was so hyped for or what they thought he was good at. I didn't see it at all. Turned out to be right.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Philippe Boucher, Cody Ceci, Jason Bonsignoire would be my three biggest busts. Boucher had a decent career and severe hand injuries, but I projected so much more form him.

Hits....probably Toffoli. Or Mike Peca. Always nice when the 67s kids make a good impact. Those two, you could see it easily when they were in Ottawa they were going to make it.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
I remember at the time everyone was telling me that Claude Giroux would not make it to the NHL . If he would , it will be as bottom 6. People had great argument back in the days (bad skating). I remember, I insisted he was going to play in the NHL and on the first line and that one day he will be an all star . His hockey sense , playmaking ability and hockey IQ were wayyyy too good.

Like everybody I missed on a couple guy. I was sure Curtis Lazar would become a very good 2nd line center. Memorial cup champion, Captain of his Junior team, Captain of Team Canada + Gold medal and in the NHL at 19 year old. I still think he would of became a really good player in this league if he wasn’t rush.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad