Speculation: Your Best Guess as to how Tampa gets under the cap for next season

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
As everyone knows by now, Tampa has cap trouble. They have several players who would be very desirable in trades. The problem is: they have a ton of NTCs. Here is their Capfriendly page. Look at all those NTCs. Most of them are full NTCs as well. Who do you think they trade, in order to make room to sign their RFAs?

(Credit to @FreeMcdavid for thread format idea.)

Edit: I should've checked more thoroughly before I posted this, as this topic was done recently. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
- Yanni Gourde will ultimately waive to go to another contender where he has an opportunity to play a bigger role(I hope Colorado is that team, but could see a few others being interested as well)

- Mikail Sergachev is moved out to a team for a heavy futures package.

That's the two guys I see ultimately on the move.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Depends who you can get to waive. Johnson, Gourde, Killorn, and Palat all have NTCs. Ideally they move out two of the first three and make it work.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Johnson for ADA makes sense as they can just walk away from ADA.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Some GM will swoop in and save the day for them, just like always

Exactly.. this exact thing comes up every year and rival fans just pray that the team is screwed.... and then a GM comes with a head scratching trade and saves the day and it pisses off all rival fans

It's the same thing every year

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Depends who you can get to waive. Johnson, Gourde, Killorn, and Palat all have NTCs. Ideally they move out two of the first three and make it work.
Killorns is a Mod-NTC 16 team no trade list so he's 100% gone. Maybe BriseBois threatens Johnson, Gourde or Palat with waivers if they refuse to waive could happen.

Reactions: hn777

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Unfortunately for the players who took discounts under the "protection" of a NTC, Tampa can simply tell them "listen, you lift that NTC or we will simply waive you and you will go randomly to the worst team that wants you". Which makes those NTC pretty toothless. Tampa can easily afford to lose one of their NTC deals just to clear Cap.

Cirelli and Sergachev will sign $3-4 million bridge deals. Killorn and one of Johnson, Palat, or Gourde will be dealt for a market deal. Tampa laughs all the way to the bank. Those are the breaks when you are an elite team in a state with no income tax that many players want to come play for.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Johnson on waivers/traded (like Hornqvist was)
Paquette traded
Coburn traded
Killorn traded

Volkov, Foote make the roster & Tampa trades for someone like Glendening at 50% (possibly with the Zetterberg LTIR contract).

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Killorns is a Mod-NTC 16 team no trade list so he's 100% gone. Maybe BriseBois threatens Johnson, Gourde or Palat with waivers if they refuse to waive could happen.

I wouldn't imagine Palat is gone. He's far better than those other 3. There'll be a team that will take Johnson for scraps.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
They'll make it work.

They'll liquidate some of their middle 6 players into picks. Everyone wants to believe that the GMs will conspire with one another to screw over a team but in reality, the GMs are going to be lining up trying to add a good player to their team.

meatwad4343

Apr 19, 2018
Tampa
- Yanni Gourde will ultimately waive to go to another contender where he has an opportunity to play a bigger role(I hope Colorado is that team, but could see a few others being interested as well)

Sergachev will be the last guy getting moved. No way he goes anywhere. Killorn will 100% be gone though.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Will be interesting to see what they do. They will still be a very good team. We will lose a good player or two but our core will remain. A core of Hedman, McDonagh, Point, Kucherov, Stamkos and vasi is still amazing to work with. Honestly not too worried about it. Love everyone from our team but sometimes you have to lose a player. Also have a lot of faith in our system. It seems like whenever we do lose a player we have someone as good if not better stepping in. That likely won't be the case here but this team has been good at it so there's that chance of that result.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
The whole waive your clause or we’ll put you on waivers is great in theory, but it’s also a good way to ensure that nobody ever takes a discount for you again because the pro hockey world is small. To answer the question Killorn is 100% gone, then they’ll see who they can move out of the full NMC options, if they can’t move any of them Sergachev I think is the guy to go since they are strong at LD. Then they fill out the roster of cheap one year contracts for guys looking to bounce back/chase the cup

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Johnson, Killorn (he gone), Gourde, Palat will all be asked. With an emphasis on the first two.

At the end of the day we're still gonna have the following players next year:

Stamkos
Hedman
Kucherov
Point
Vasy
Coleman
Goodrow
One or both of McD and Sergachev
And most likely one or both of Cirelli and Palat

Things are far from dire in Bolts Land.

Ledge And Dairy

It should be noted that Johnsons and Palats contracts changes to M-NTC's next year both with 20 team trade lists. If they want to control where they end up now is the time to waive, especially if they want to be protected in expansion.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Johnson and Killorn get moved. Johnson probably goes to a team like Winnipeg that needs a 2C.

Tampa signs Sergachev and Cirelli to light contracts and everyone goes How did they do that!? And they predict Point gets offer sheeted in a year or move on to another team that is in “cap hell” like the Avs next year.

Reactions: theVladiator

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
TB MOVES
TRADE: Killorn & Coburn
WAIVER: Johnson if he doesn't want to waive his NTC
RE-SIGN: Cernak, Cirelli, Sergachev to short bridge contract
SIGN: #5/6 RHD to fairly cheap contract

RFA -- YEARS -- CAP HIT
Cirelli, Anthony -- 2 -- $3,750,000
Sergachev, Mikhail -- 2 -- $4,000,000
Cernak, Erik -- 2 -- $1,750,000
Verhaeghe, Carter -- 2 -- $800,000
Stephens, Mitchell -- 2 -- $800,000
Joseph, Mathieu -- 2 -- $800,000
Volkov, Alexander -- 2 -- $800,000

UFA -- YEARS -- CAP HIT
Bogosian, Zach -- 1 -- $1,750,000

FORWARDS (12)
Ondrej Palat ($5,300,000)Brayden Point ($6,750,000)Nikita Kucherov ($9,500,000)
Yanni Gourde ($5,166,666)Anthony Cirelli ($3,750,000)Steven Stamkos ($8,500,000)
Barclay Goodrow ($925,000)Cédric Paquette ($1,650,000)Blake Coleman ($1,800,000)
Carter Verhaeghe ($800,000)Mitchell Stephens ($800,000)Mathieu Joseph ($800,000)
DEFENSE (6)
Victor Hedman ($7,875,000)Erik Cernak ($1,750,000)
Ryan McDonagh ($6,750,000)Cal Foote ($925,000)
Mikhail Sergachev ($4,000,000)Zach Bogosian ($1,750,000)
GOALTENDER (2)SPARES (2)
Andrei Vasilevskiy ($9,500,000)Devante Stephens ($800,000)
Curtis McElhinney ($1,300,000)Alexander Volkov ($800,000)
DETAILS
Roster Size: 22
Salary Cap: $81,500,000
Cap Hit: $81,191,666
Cap Space: $308,334
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Killorn obviously.

Johnson's role has changed a lot in TB recently, I think he is the most likely to waive NTC.

Gourde and especially Palat are going nowhere.

Palat - Point - Kucherov is an absolute beast of a line and one TB will want to keep together for sure.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
It should be noted that Johnsons and Palats contracts changes to M-NTC's next year both with 20 team trade lists. If they want to control where they end up now is the time to waive, especially if they want to be protected in expansion.
Good point.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont

It would be idiotic to move Sergachev. He was unreal in playoffs and their D is already shallow enough. Same with Cernak. Their right side is obsolete behind him other than Foote and I’m not sure he makes the step this year. Cirelli is the RFA I see moving.
I can see one player waiving, but I don’t see them being able to move much money out. Most teams are restructuring for their own internal cap.
They may get lucky with one guy signing a small bridge deal (Cernak probably) but man they are going to be in tough.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Killorn obviously.

Johnson's role has changed a lot in TB recently, I think he is the most likely to waive NTC.

Gourde and especially Palat are going nowhere.

Palat - Point - Kucherov is an absolute beast of a line and one TB will want to keep together for sure.
Remember a few months ago when Gourde had no value and no team would trade for him on this forum. Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad