Your all time favourite player on opposing team?

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Pretty simple question, what is your all time favourite player for a opposing team for the one you route for?

My all time favourite player is Peter Forsberg, and of course I didn't want the Red Wings to win any game against them. But I could not help admiring Tomas Holmström. The career he manage to create on pure work ethic just amazed me, and still does.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Teemu Selanne and Paul Kariya fit the bill for me.

I've always disliked Forsberg though. Lots of reasons, I won't get into it here and derail the thread.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
DRW - Steve Yzerman.

Especially this -

wV7tR6o.gif

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
I'm a Leaf fan, but my all-time faourite player is Joe Sakic.

I was 6 or 7 when the Avs won the cup in 2001, and that is some of the first hockey I remember watching. Then, in Salt Lake City, he was a force for Canada (not sure if this counts as I rooted for him on team Canada).

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
McDavid and Draisaitl. I weep every time I remember the crushing defeat I felt when Leon was drafted by Edmonton.

Bennett is a good player who might put it together but Leon was NHL ready out of the draft. He's far surpassing anything I thought he could do.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
So I am reading it as a thread that talks about your rivals. I mean, any of us can say Wayne Gretzky right? He was never on a team that was a rival of mine.

Okay, so for me it would be Steve Yzerman. We Leaf fans saw a ton of him in the old Norris division.

After that I have to admit there is nothing bad you can say about Saku Koivu.

Lastly, not a lot of guys on the Sens I rooted for but Mike Fisher was pretty hard to dislike. Always gave it his all, someone you'd want on your team, etc.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
As far as Edmonton's rival, Calgary, I always respected Al MacInnis. Who didn't? Very likable player.

Nowadays, I can respect Giordano. Great player.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Two players for me Börje Salming and Jarome Iginla.

Add: Vladislav Tretiak (second favorite goaltender after Jacques Plante)

Last edited:

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Well... Wayne Gretzky is my favorite non-Bruin of all time. Mark Messier is second.

As far as the Montreal Canadiens are concerned, if I had to pick a rival who I actually saw play for the Habs, my answer is Patrick Roy.

Roy was a COMPETITOR. His intensity and fire to win made him very likable to me even if I detested his uniform. Not only that, but I usually don’t list goaltenders among my favorite players. Not that I have anything against goalies, but I just tend to pay more attention to the skaters. The fact that I picked him of all people kind of surprised me, and is a testament to how much I really respect him.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
The Oilers used to destroy my beloved Canucks and I absolutely hated them for it, but I could not help but love the play of Jari Kurri, he became an all-time favorite.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Brett Hull was just fun to watch even if I never cared for the Blues outside of a 90 day window in 1996. He even managed to be on the opposing team internationally despite being Canadian.

Wait, never mind, now I'm mad about the high stick goal from the 96 World Cup again. Which is more infuriating than the 99 Cup winner, because it was actually something that should have been called back.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Theo Fleury perhaps. I enjoyed the entertainment that he brought one way or another.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
My two all time hated teams are the Leafs and Bruins. That said, I’ll never hate Neely, Middleton, Bergeron and Orr, and I’ll never hate Salming, Sittler, Gilmour and McDonald.

I love Mahovlich too, but he’s a hab :)

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
during the times when their teams were my fanbase's most hated rivals:

flames: theo fleury easily

colorado: sakic, hometown boy

chicago: i guess seabrook but it's not like i even liked him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad