Your 2014 United States men’s Olympic roster

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think Team USA will have to be the hardest working team in the tournament to get a silver or gold. Lots of talented teams.

riseandfall9

Jun 7, 2006
I love the team... even the Wheeler selection. The one I am not happy about is the Oshie over Bobby Ryan but thats pretty much the only roster problem I have.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I love the team... even the Wheeler selection. The one I am not happy about is the Oshie over Bobby Ryan but thats pretty much the only roster problem I have.

I think that's the real issue people have. If you read the articles on the team USA thought process, you see that it's not really Ryan over brown/oshie or whatever. They're choosing guys that can play roles rather than just "the best players" or most offensively talented or whatever you want to call it, without getting into semantics. I don't know to what degree I agree with that, but I do trust the all around games guys like backes brown and oshie bring over that of Ryan especially in a 4th line ish role. (I actually really like the wheeler selection and is argue he's the one that took Ryan's spot.). Same goes for the D. Is Yandle better thank orpik? Probably in the same way Ryan is better than Oshie.

I think it's fair to disagree with them on the personnel but it's nice that they're so transparent with the team philosophy when they're not really obligated to be.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It has to be a blow to Jack Johnson to miss out on joining the roster. He's been competing internationally for Team USA for some time now.

I also can't believe, when checking his stats that he is a career -100. That gives him the fourth worst +/- out of all current active players currently in the NHL, and the fifth is nearly 20 points closer to even than he is. The only worst is Brewer at -101, Lecavalier at -126, and Jokinen at -134.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Do you guys really believe Quick should be the starter over Miller? I realize I'm biased here, but with how Quick has struggled this year while Jones and Scrivens have played phenomenal, coupled with Miller's great season, I don't think I'd want him as the #1.

I get that posting this is probably asking for flames and such, but as an American, I want the player that's going to give my country the best chance to win. Miller did that in Vancouver and he's playing up to that standard so far this year. Haven't seen that this season from Quick yet, and perhaps it will be decided in the next month on how he comes back from injury and such.

When is the last time that Miller has played in a game that mattered? I like Miller but he hasn't had much recent time playing in the playoffs since his last stint in the Olympics. Yeah, Quick has been injury riddled lately, but he plays a style that cannot be maintained throughout the whole regular season, but when push comes to shove he can go to a level that very few can hope to reach. He is made for these types of situations. I wouldn't be surprised if they picked one or the other, but I wouldn't count Quick out because you glanced at a regular season stat, he'll be ready to compete and either goalie will give the team a good chance to win. It will all come down to who has the hot glove and coach's, not regular season statistics, and I guarantee you that the coaches won't be taking them into consideration.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yes sir. Especially when you consider all of the talent that got let off in Ryan, Yandle and EJ.

That's why the talent got left off. This team won't be winning a gold by getting in run-n-gun games, they need to rely on whichever goaltender is the hottest going in and grind out wins. If Quick comes back and plays excellently, it should be him. If he doesn't, it should be Miller.

I think the role based selection works considering that's the only way the US can win a gold.

ID

Sep 24, 2008
So cali
I don't mind the forward selection just shocked at our D not thrilled with it

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I think Team USA will have to be the hardest working team in the tournament to get a silver or gold. Lots of talented teams.

I see this roster as a very hardworking one. A DL-esque one. Go USA! And if it isn't meant to be, anyone but Canada. I can't stand many more of the "Hockey Is Canada's Game!!!" signs at viewing parties :facepalm:

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
how can you feel bad for him? Hes like the 40th best american dman. Realistically he should have known he had no shot. You cant coast in draft pick reputation forever

Your bolded comment is the dumbest thing I've seen on this board in a while.

Anyway, I wasn't arguing that he should have made the team, although I'd have no problem if he did.

My point was that Jack lives to play for Team USA and has proven that over and over. He loves it and has to be crushed not to make this year's team.

Remember in 2010 when he paid his own way to fly to Vancouver on an off day just so he could walk in the opening ceremonies? He was the only US men's hockey player to do so. If you read the ESPN.com article, you'd see how close the selection committee came to taking him despite his poor performance this season, based mainly on his intangibles in this type of tournament.
I think the quote was "Twelve days. Jack will not let us down for 12 days"

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Wow, not picking Lewis and his breakaway attempts and mad shoot out skills may bite them in the rear.

In all seriousness, feel bad for JJ. He reminds me a lot of Muzzin, all the tools but bad toolbox. He will rebound

Ryan was a surprise, DL just trying to lower his value so he can swoop in during free agency in a couple years.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kesler is our top center. We aren't winning ****.

It's kind of funny seeing the trends between the countries. Canada is bleeding centers. USA seems to develop strong wingers.

Totally overgeneralized to a small sample size at the top level of course, but strange that we don't really have an 'elite' center, though Kesler is a very, very good one.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Yeah, quite a number of names being thrown around as injury fill-ins. Should be the case for every country.

For the elite nations at least.

From what I read the top replacements at each position are....

G-Cory Schneider, Ben Bishop
D-Jack Johnson, Keith Yandle
F-Brandon Saad, Bobby Ryan

From Burnside's article it seems like Saad was as close as it could be to taking Oshie out

Kesler is our top center. We aren't winning ****.

Kesler was a stud in 2010 and has gotten back to that level of play this season. We have 5 very good centers to work with.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Saad is a better player than Oshie. I think his age was a factor here, but he is having a fantastic season.

I just don't think Oshie was needed on this team. But then again my memories of Oshie are two awful no-shows the last two years against the Kings in the playoffs, including being on the ice for every single goal against in the Kings come from behind win in Game 4 last year.

Just doesn't strike me as a player who shows up in big games.

riseandfall9

Jun 7, 2006
I think that's the real issue people have. If you read the articles on the team USA thought process, you see that it's not really Ryan over brown/oshie or whatever. They're choosing guys that can play roles rather than just "the best players" or most offensively talented or whatever you want to call it, without getting into semantics. I don't know to what degree I agree with that, but I do trust the all around games guys like backes brown and oshie bring over that of Ryan especially in a 4th line ish role. (I actually really like the wheeler selection and is argue he's the one that took Ryan's spot.). Same goes for the D. Is Yandle better thank orpik? Probably in the same way Ryan is better than Oshie.

I think it's fair to disagree with them on the personnel but it's nice that they're so transparent with the team philosophy when they're not really obligated to be.

I agree with the work hard...heavy..tough...in your face hockey philosophy that they are going with(I think that's USA Style hockey) I think it will beat the hell out of Russia, Finland, Sweden and the Czechs and def Slovenia(No disrespect to the other Kings fans posters from different Country's). I just think they could have benefited a little more from another skill guy like Ryan. Outside of Kane, Kessel, Parise and MAYBE Statsny/Pavelski there really isn't that high high end talent(which we don't really have at our disposal anyways). Brown, Backes, Kesler, Oshie, Wheeler, Callahan, Stepan, JVR are all pretty much the same type of player again not a bad thing at all and like I said USA players that's their style so that's what we haft to work with so go with the Herb Brooks philosophy since hes the only one to do it. Not that Bobby Ryan ripped up the Last Olympics offensively. If I remember correctly he only had 1 goal last Olympics which is awful for Ryan but okay for Brown because of the roles they are suppose to be filling on the team. I just might have given Ryan another shot with all the other guys so similar in style to TJ Oshie and based on the fact that since the last Olympics Statsny hasnt done really anything and he also had a bad Olympics last time. Plus I also dont feel like Oshie is so heavy anyways. I still believe he is a bit soft Im sure many will disagree.

Based on the amount of grinder types it`s looking quiet obvious that they are going to go with 1 High end talent per line. None of that all 3 snipers on 1 line stuff like some were predicting above. It looks pretty obvious they are going out their to play NHL hockey not international hockey regardless of the size of the ice surface. I don't think they are going to try and out skate teams. I believe with as many agile rearguards they chose they want there offense to start from the back end and they want to smother and beat up teams. Seems like a good idea in theory but we`ll haft to see how it goes. In any case like I expressed above I believe this is a 2 to 3 team Race(Canada, USA, Sweden(Maybe? little old)... so I think this team was mainly built to beat Canada and if it can beat Canada it can beat the rest of the teams. This is what I think the USA shot callers were thinking.

In any case..... Go USA! :D

riseandfall9

Jun 7, 2006
It's kind of funny seeing the trends between the countries. Canada is bleeding centers. USA seems to develop strong wingers.

Totally overgeneralized to a small sample size at the top level of course, but strange that we don't really have an 'elite' center, though Kesler is a very, very good one.

I think this is the same with many many many other sports right?

Hockey you want a goalie? Go draft one from Sweden or Finland.
Hockey you want a Sniper skill guy? Go draft one from Russia or the Czech.
Hockey you want a Grinding leader with some skills or a leader with amazing skills? Go draft a USA or Canadian.

You see it in Sports ALL the time. Ill use Soccer as an example since its the only real TEAM TEAM sport internationally. Look at the style difference between say Brazil and Italy? Offense or defense? Or a team like Germany who choose not to play defense because they feel that the best defense is a great offense. Its amazing. LOL

HolyShot*

So DL went to bat for Yandle over Fowler and Shattenkirk and they went the other way.

I wish they had listened to DL on that one.

As for Oshie, I just don't see it, never really have with him, like many energy type guys he gets overrated. And he stunk it up the last two playoffs vs. the Kings.

10 games, 2G, 0A, -6

No way do you bring him over Ryan, especially with ZP not at 100%.

This roster reminds me a lot of the joke Canada brought to Torino in 2006 and Nagano in 98.

Oshie is pretty damn good. You haven't seen enough of him if u think he's just an energy type.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
Jack Johnson didn't deserve to make it. He's simply not a very good player. There's a reason he has been such a minus player in terms of +/- over all these years. I have never understood Lombardi's infatuation with JJ. That Carter deal was a big win for us.

He's much like Dion Phaneuf in that manner. He is a physical specimen with all the tools to be that star #1 defenseman: great size, good skater, can throw big hits and rip bombs from the point. But he lacks the mental makeup, hockey sense, and overall intelligence and as a result will never put it all together, leaving you to come away disappointed with him.

I am shocked Bobby Ryan did not make the team. His drive and passion have been questioned at times over the years, but his goal scoring ability and skill set have never been questioned. You need that high end skill when you're competing with loaded rosters like Canada and Russia. Blake Wheeler and Derek Stepan over Bobby Ryan? Please.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
For those curious of how the 2010 US Olympic team performed statistically:
http://stats.iihf.com/og2010/IHM400012_83_6_0.pdf

Ten players from the 2010 are not returning. Bobby Ryan did not have a good tournament, but neither did Phil Kessel. However, I'd say that Kessel has significantly improved since then, but you could also argue that so has Bobby Ryan.

My biggest concern is at center. How are they going to match up against Canada? We saw what happened in 2010 and their top center sealed the Gold Medal for them. Same thing happened in 2002 and in 2006, Canada is just overloaded with amazing talent down the middle, whereas the US just has a bunch of solid 2nd and 3rd line centers as their top options.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00