youngsters that will suffer from FA signing of their team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrossCheck

Feb 27, 2002
Hockey home, Canada
Visit site
Right of the bat I would say that:

Brad Boyes, who had second line duties written all over him earlier this summer, will now have a tough time just making it with Zamnov now on board...

David Hale's role just got reduced a lot with the signings of Malakhov and McGillis...

Can u think of others?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
From the Penguins...let's see...Kris Beech, Tomas Surovy, Matt Murley, Ryan Whitney, Colby Armstrong...

All probably would have had spots on the team before. Now Beech, Surovy, and Murley are stuck with not having NHL jobs and having to clear waivers to get back to the AHL, Whitney is down to being a seventh defenseman(entering camp), and Armstrong will probably be in the AHL for another year despite being ready for the jump to the NHL.

That and Chiodo has no chance of playing with the big Pens now. Caron...who the hell knows what the Penguins plan to do with him.

I don't think I'd qualify Rico Fata as a youngster anymore, but he's pretty much out of a job now. I can't write up any scenario where Fata fits onto the current roster.

Last edited:

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
The basic trend will be that the most active UFA teams have screwed a few rookies while teams that were losing players probably had some spots open.

The Canucks, for instance, will have at number of rookies get shots this year. Ryan Kesler's role will be expanded due to the apparently leaving of Artem Chubarov to Russia.

Without another signing, two of Kevin Bieksa, Kiril Koltsov, and Tomas Mojzis will get shots at the Canucks roster to replace Brent Sopel and Marek Malik.

Alex Auld is almost a guarantee to take on the backup job.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
From the Penguins...let's see...Kris Beech, Tomas Surovy, Matt Murley, Ryan Whitney, Colby Armstrong...

All probably would have had spots on the team before. Now Beech, Surovy, and Murley are stuck with not having NHL jobs and having to clear waivers to get back to the AHL, Whitney is down to being a seventh defenseman(entering camp), and Armstrong will probably be in the AHL for another year despite being ready for the jump to the NHL.

That and Chiodo has no chance of playing with the big Pens now. Caron...who the hell knows what the Penguins plan to do with him.

I don't think I'd qualify Rico Fata as a youngster anymore, but he's pretty much out of a job now. I can't write up any scenario where Fata fits onto the current roster.
Add Endicott, Ouellet and Talbot. Christensen and Eaves were outsiders. They're just outside now :)

Vic Rattlehead*

Well, with Boston, Hilbert and Boyes will suffer. Luckily, on defence, we'll have four rookies trying to get a spot or two on the roster (Stuart, Alberts, Jonsson, Jurcina).

Toivonen will be our backup goalie.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
With the Rangers signing Nylander, Straka, Rucinsky, Neiminen, Ward and possibly Sushinsky our younger players like Lundmark, Balej, Ortmeyer, Moore, Giroux and Hollweg will all see considerably less time than had we signed fewer or less skill-oriented players.

The signing of Malik and Rullier means that more than likely Taylor and Liffiton won't even be given a shot (although they needed another year anyway). It also pulls into question the opportunity that Bryce Lampman might receive this year (in my opinion it needs to be now).

There is a fine line between icing a team and letting your young kids develop. I do think that it still remains possible to give each of our young guys adequate time to play, but that's going to mean switching the lines and more than likely upsetting Jagr (who, btw, seems to be running the show right now).

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Kobasew's role in Calgary could end up being reduced due to the Amonte signing, hopefully he forces Sutter's hand sooner rather than later.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
kruezer said:
Kobasew's role in Calgary could end up being reduced due to the Amonte signing, hopefully he forces Sutter's hand sooner rather than later.

I don't think so. Sutter has already brought up the point Amonte has played LW when he coached him back in the day. That leads me to believe he will be the team's top LW, followed by Rhino. Kobasew will be gievn the #2 RW spot again. Sutter said last season he was given the spot but wasn't ready for it...this year he looks primed for it after a very solid AHL year and getting older.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
I don't think so. Sutter has already brought up the point Amonte has played LW when he coached him back in the day. That leads me to believe he will be the team's top LW, followed by Rhino. Kobasew will be gievn the #2 RW spot again. Sutter said last season he was given the spot but wasn't ready for it...this year he looks primed for it after a very solid AHL year and getting older.
I agree really PFF, I think Kobasew is ready and will be given the opportunity, but he just has to take it this time, if not, I don't think Sutter will hesitate to use Amonte more on the RW and bump Kobasew down.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
I am extremely pleased with the Hawks signings in that they left several spots for rookies to come in and make an impact. In the past Mike Smith brought in old band aid players that sucked whilst taking up roster and salary room, and Sputter then over played those worthless slugs too.

We have room for 2 rookie dmen and 2 rookie forwards.

Bourque, Vorobiev, Ellison, M. Keith, and Yakubov will be competing for a spot on the 2nd line and one could end up with a spot on the 3rd or 4th.

D Keith, Seabrook, Barinka, Wisniewski, Babchuk, and possibly Barker will be competing for the 6th and 7th d spots in that order of likeliness.

Plus it is great for our young goalies. Leighton and Anderson will now be competing for the back up job instead of playing tandem the way they did last season. It should help them both progress more than the previous situation.

The fact that we made our team stronger defensively in all aspects will be a huge plus by giving many of these guys a chance to get their feet wet without throwing them so much into the fire like last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad