Olympics: Youngest player to play?

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Not on Team Canada. They did not even bring Crosby in 2006 which was probably a mistake. You have to look at the worst teams in the tournament, becouse their depth is terrible and a hyper-talented Young Gun could sneak in, if there are any.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
Hypothetically, what is the youngest age someone can make for example...Team Canada's 2014 team? Like could a 16/17 year old make it?

Don't think there are any age restrictions. I think Phelps went to his first olympics when he was 15.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Don't think there are any age restrictions. I think Phelps went to his first olympics when he was 15.

For the Olympics each sport has its own age restriction dictated by the international federation for that sport, so different sports allow different ages (which is why China always gets in trouble for forging documents to allow more nimble, fearless underage girls participate in gymnastics). In the case of hockey, a 16/17 y.o could definitely play, but like someone said, it's very unlikely. Had Slovenia made it years ago I could possible see a 16 y.o Anže Kopitar play for them, but I don't think any of the teams in this year's tournament are in such dire need, nor do they have any young superstars. There have been several late 17 year olds who've played in the World Championship.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Aleksander Barkov has a chance to make Team Finland at the age of 18. He would probably be the youngest.

18 is also the minimum age on Men's competition without special allowance. Per IIHF statutes and bylaws, players younger than that need to acquire an IIHF underage waiver.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Hypothetically, what is the youngest age someone can make for example...Team Canada's 2014 team? Like could a 16/17 year old make it?

I think for the IIHF WC you have to be either 18 or else you need to get some sort of age waiver. I don't know if those rules translate to the OG.

As far as these coming Olympics...the youngest player will probably be Barkov if he makes it and if he doesn't Maatta if he makes it.

ETA - i just noticed the last person to reply before me already said the same thing. lol, sorry - i didn't read the whole thread.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
For safety reasons, I can't imagine an under-18 would be allowed for Men's Hockey, unless there were some kind of special circumstances. Even at 18 most people would be at a disadvantage.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
For safety reasons, I can't imagine an under-18 would be allowed for Men's Hockey, unless there were some kind of special circumstances. Even at 18 most people would be at a disadvantage.

b/c i was interested, i dug up the current rules/bylaws - http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/The_IIHF/2012-2014_IIHF_Statutes_and_Bylaws.pdf

700 IIHF WORLD SENIOR MEN’S PROGRAM

1. Gender, Age, Underage

The players participating in any IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship in the Senior Men’s Category must be of the male gender and have their 18th or later birthday in the year the respective Championship is held.
Participating players who will not have their 18th birthday in the year the respective championship is held are required to have a signed under-age waiver as stipulated in Bylaw 618 (2). At the latest, players must have their 16th birthday in the year the respective Championship is held.

I couldn't find the actual exemption bylaw they were referring to - but it seems that through some exemption the very minimum age is 16, but otherwise 18 in the year the tournament is held.

The IOC doesn't impose separate age limits outside a sport's governing body, i don't think, so i assume ^^ is the rule (+ the referred to bylaw).

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I know Nino Niederreiter played in the Worlds at age 17. Assume IIHF rules apply all around

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Why? Ovechkin at 17 would wreck bodies around him. A full cage is obligatory, but that's it. If a 17 y.o. can play on that level, why not?

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Kim Martin played for Sweden as a 16.y.o. in 2002.

Malkin played as a 19 yo and Kovalchuk as an 18 yo. These are the only two junior-aged players I can think of in the men's teams in recent tournaments.

Last edited:

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
I couldn't find the actual exemption bylaw they were referring to - but it seems that through some exemption the very minimum age is 16, but otherwise 18 in the year the tournament is held.

The bylaw is 619.2 which reads:

Younger players outside the defined age limits participating in the Senior Men and Women Championships may be permitted only on presentation of a waiver signed by two medical doctors, by the Member National Association and the player’s parents or legal guardian, confirming that the player has the physical ability to play ice hockey in the respective age category. Nevertheless, the Directorate reserves the right to refuse entry of an under-aged player

So players aged 16 and 17 have to have a permission slip. Younger than that and you're not allowed to participate.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
b/c i was interested, i dug up the current rules/bylaws - http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/The_IIHF/2012-2014_IIHF_Statutes_and_Bylaws.pdf

The IOC doesn't impose separate age limits outside a sport's governing body, i don't think, so i assume ^^ is the rule (+ the referred to bylaw).

The text you dug up clearly says that 15 is the lowest hypothetical age, as long as it's the year you will turn 16.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
You would be hard=pressed to see a junior-aged player suit up in a major international competition like the Olympics unless:

* No NHL players
* The player's ability is impossible to ignore
* It's of one of the lesser hockey playing countries and is by default their best player (like a Kopitar)

It was big news when the likes of Jones, Trouba, and Galchenyuk were even in the conversation for the U.S. team this year.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Why? Ovechkin at 17 would wreck bodies around him. A full cage is obligatory, but that's it. If a 17 y.o. can play on that level, why not?

Really? So he wrecked the RSL prior to being drafted?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Really? So he wrecked the RSL prior to being drafted?

What's so difficult about not bending the words? Wrecking bodies(what I wrote and what was related to the post I replied to) and wrecking the RSL are dirfferent things.

Yes, Ovechkin has had a body of a grown man at age 17 and had no trouble being physical.

Last edited:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Will Zemgus Girgensons be the youngest player in Sochi?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Will Zemgus Girgensons be the youngest player in Sochi?
It's pretty safe to say that he (b. 1994-01-05) will not.

Aleksander Barkov (1995-09-02) will be the youngest, if he gets picked. He's not a lock though, because Finland can still be a little picky with forwards. But in case he doesn't make it, it will be Olli Määttä (1994-08-22). Finland can't be picky with defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad