Youngest / Oldest NHL deaths

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Sorry if this is a bit morbid, but I'm wondering who is the youngest and the oldest NHLer to pass away?

For example, has any player (with at least one game's experience) ever died at 18 or 19?

And, on a more, er... "positive" note, who has thus far been the longest-living ex-NHLer?

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
This thread just reminds me of all the young MLB players who have passed in the last few years alone :(

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
The Rangers 2007 1st round draft pick Alexei Cherepanov passed out on the bench(sitting next to teammate Jaromir Jagr) during a KHL game and was pronounced dead later that night at the hospital. He was 19, never actually played in an NHL game. That is the youngest someone drafted into the NHL has passed away that I can remember

Reactions: Staniowski

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
The Rangers 2007 1st round draft pick Alexei Cherepanov passed out on the bench(sitting next to teammate Jaromir Jagr) during a KHL game and was pronounced dead later that night at the hospital. He was 19, never actually played in an NHL game. That is the youngest someone drafted into the NHL has passed away that I can remember
I was just going to mention Cherepanov. Not an NHL player, but a certain future NHLer. Performed very well in U18, World Juniors, KHL.

Pelle Lindbergh was 26.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Jim Conacher is the oldest living former NHLer, he'll be 98 in a couple days.

Milt Schmidt died in his 99th year.

There must be some who lived longer.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Michel Briere, Luc Bourdon and Dmitry Tertyshny were the first 3 players that came to mind.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004

In that regard, which doesn't fit in with the criteria (playing an NHL game), the Flames 1986 first round pick (16th overall) was George Pelawa, who died three months after the draft, aged 18.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

SabbathBloodySabbath

Oct 8, 2017
Erþō
Dudley "Red" Garrett died at 20 in World War II after playing part of a season with NYR.

* George Pelawa died in a car crash at 18, two months after being picked 16th overall by CGY. (1986)
* Neil Carnes died in a motorcycle crash at 18, a year after being drafted by MTL and a few weeks short of turning 19. (1989)
* Another CGY pick, Mickey Renaud, died at 19 of a heart problem. (2008)
* AHL player and EDM prospect Kristiāns Pelšs drowned at 20. He might be the youngest AHL player to die. (2013)

Al Suomi made it to 100, and died five weeks short of 101.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Jim Conacher will be 98 this May. Now that Kelly is gone, is he the last - or one of - that played in the NHL in the 1940s who is still alive? I can't believe I am saying this because the 1940s is a moment in the NHL frozen in time and it is hard to believe no one is alive who played in it. Give it 10 years and no one will be left that played in the 1950s.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Jim Conacher will be 98 this May. Now that Kelly is gone, is he the last - or one of - that played in the NHL in the 1940s who is still alive? I can't believe I am saying this because the 1940s is a moment in the NHL frozen in time and it is hard to believe no one is alive who played in it. Give it 10 years and no one will be left that played in the 1950s.
Well, Howie Meeker is 95, and of course he played in the '40s. Not sure about others.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Meeker's pronunciation of Russian names is legendary! (Hey, I'm not claiming that I'd do a very great job myself.)

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017

Amazing when you think about it, Jim Conacher is old enough to have played against Dit Clapper. And was coached by Jack Adams

Reactions: Big Phil

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Murray Balfour is a sad one. Died of (what I imagine was) pretty aggressive lung cancer in 1965. Died the same year the tumor was discovered

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad