YoungBloods up and coming

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
Ottawa has many young prospects who have a lot of potential. Many these players have excelled in the minors in previous years and in NHL games when they've had the opportunity

So for next season, if Spezza gets traded where could some of the players end up in our line up. Which ones could seriously excel in the NHL right now?

I'm talking about players like Boro,Prince,Puempel,DaCosta,Lazar,Stone and Hoffman. Would seriously love to see these guys player next year. Maybe along side some good vets we could get for Spezza.

What do you think?

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
i could see Stone being a full time NHLer next year and Puemple Prince Hoffman dacosta and Lazar will be given evey chance to play but i think they need another year at least in AHL/Junior

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I have reservations about Hoffman being NHL material

I love Pageau's game but the problem is we have too many centres and Greening, Condra and Neil aren't players I think help him grow his game and confidence

Same for Da Costa

Stone is likely to be an NHL regular as long as he can stay healthy

The team will probably give Lazar a shot but I don't think he'll be ready

The D rookies are a crap shoot because a lot of it hinges on Cowen, I expect we'll see Borocop but I don't like his game at all and I don't think he's NHL material

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Our prospect pool is bottom-tier.

No. Not even close.

No one in the organization has more to gain from a Spezza trade than Stephane Da Costa. The team will require PP production and SDC has been a PP wizard in the A, so I expect him to get a chance in that role.

Other than him, keep an eye on the LW. There's room there for whoever shows up and takes a spot in camp. Prince, Puempel and Cole Schneider. Maybe even Derek Grant, moving over from C. Hoffman should get a full NHL season, and like SDC could see himself getting meaningful special teams time. Not sure where he slots in from line 2-4, but he can be useful with his speed and release.

source

Jul 13, 2008
No. Not even close.

No one in the organization has more to gain from a Spezza trade than Stephane Da Costa. The team will require PP production and SDC has been a PP wizard in the A, so I expect him to get a chance in that role.

Other than him, keep an eye on the LW. There's room there for whoever shows up and takes a spot in camp. Prince, Puempel and Cole Schneider. Maybe even Derek Grant, moving over from C. Hoffman should get a full NHL season, and like SDC could see himself getting meaningful special teams time. Not sure where he slots in from line 2-4, but he can be useful with his speed and release.

Lol, Da Costa is David Desharnais in a best case scenario. I like him, but it's more likely he won't have a significant NHL career. Prince, Puempel and Schneider are nothing to get excited about.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Lol, Da Costa is David Desharnais in a best case scenario. I like him, but it's more likely he won't have a significant NHL career. Prince, Puempel and Schneider are nothing to get excited about.

Ill take a potential Desharnais.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Ottawa placed 19 of 30 in the spring rankings down from 12th. Oddly only Lehner graduated and while I thought guys like Lazar, Ceci, Stone, Hoffman, Peumple, and Claesson all developed quite well. Apparently I was wrong.

In the end, the middle pack is a toss up.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Mantha should be ready to dominate half way through next yr. so we got that going for us.

DOH!

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I think were pretty deep in prospect at every position but RW, top end d prospects and goaltending. Luckily we have two competent NHL goalies already but i dont see our d problems going away any time soon unless someone steps up(i think boro has top 4 potential). For RW the only option is free agency if we want to add more depth

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I see Cowen completely busting or being a late bloomer well guys like Wier, Gryba and Boro take the next step. Note i dont think cowen will be terribad i just think Boro will excel in the same role better then Cowen.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Cowen has been great in the past so we know he can do it. He's consistently made some big mistakes at key points during key games but that's something that can be worked on: his ceiling remains very high I'd say. He just needs easier minutes to be able to dominate and grow confident.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Desharnais has a 50 point season and a 60 point season. You're saying Da Costa could be a taller version than that?

Sounds good.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
Stone in
Boro in (due to his now 1 way contract)
Hoffman in (Michalek isn't resigned so he plays the role)

If Spezza is gone.

Da Costa in
Lazar in

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Stone in
Boro in (due to his now 1 way contract)
Hoffman in (Michalek isn't resigned so he plays the role)

If Spezza is gone.

Da Costa in
Lazar in

and we get 2 healthy scratches back from the spezza deal? hmm

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Those are 4 NHL calibre players and none of them besides maybe Puempel would even be considered our top 5 prospects. I'm just talking about guys who can have an impact next season.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed when Lazar doesn't even see 9 games with the Senators next season.

Its extremely rare for players to make the jump from junior to the NHL without major struggles. I'll gladly eat my hat if Lazar proves to be an exception, but I just don't see it happening.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Desharnais has a 50 point season and a 60 point season. You're saying Da Costa could be a taller version than that?

Sounds good.

I've always thought of Da Costa as a guy that can center a scoring 3rd line, and jump into the 2nd line when needed. If we can give him decent wingers (ie not Neil, Kassian, types) he could thrive.

He's a pickpocket that can distribute the puck nicely, and doesn't shy away when things get physical (though he isn't really physical himself).

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed when Lazar doesn't even see 9 games with the Senators next season.

Its extremely rare for players to make the jump from junior to the NHL without major struggles. I'll gladly eat my hat if Lazar proves to be an exception, but I just don't see it happening.

Murray wanted to keep him up last year, so you'd better choose a visor for dinner... ;)

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Lazar is not offensively ready for the NHL. He needs another season in the WHL to keep on developing his offensive game where he can dominate. Do not wanna rush someone like Lazar just because he has bottom 6 ability.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Lazar is not offensively ready for the NHL. He needs another season in the WHL to keep on developing his offensive game where he can dominate. Do not wanna rush someone like Lazar just because he has bottom 6 ability.

Murray has stated he felt Lazar was ready this year. I see him getting at least a 9 game try out.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Agreed.

I'd rather see Lazar get another year in junior and really dominate offensively. We have enough young guys who can slot into the bottom 6 roles. We need to start developing guys who are top 6 capable.

Although giving the kid 5-6 games at the start of the season to give him a taste of the NHL won't hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad