Post-Game Talk: Young Stars Classic | Game 1 | Oilers def. Canucks 4-1

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Boeser would be lighting this tourney up...can he just turn pro already so I can get excited about this team again?

Agreed. Also, to add some perspective... Jared McCann would be as young or younger than a lot of guys out there. It's not hard to imagine him lighting it up out there. Still can't get over that trade :shakehead

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Oilers have a player in Markus Niemelainen. Just a 3rd rounder in the 2016 draft... but there's a ton of upside there IMO. A lot better offensively than advertised - and for such a big man his skating is very good already, and will continue to improve as he adds strength to that 6 5' frame.

Yeah.

Had a bit of a disagreement about him with some folks here pre-draft who didn't see much real upside to him. But to me, a guy that big who can skate that well, and that smoothly...that's something. I thought his cruddy OHL team didn't really flatter him at all in terms of offensive upside, but at the U18s he looked like a solid project. Probably more of a #4 "upside", but i was really disappointed when he got snatched away just ahead of our pick.

Very noticeable tonight.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Agreed. Also, to add some perspective... Jared McCann would be as young or younger than a lot of guys out there. It's not hard to imagine him lighting it up out there. Still can't get over that trade :shakehead

To add further perspective...it's not hard to imagine Gudbranson looking like quite literally, a man amongst boys out there. So...:popcorn:

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Yeah.

Had a bit of a disagreement about him with some folks here pre-draft who didn't see much real upside to him. But to me, a guy that big who can skate that well, and that smoothly...that's something. I thought his cruddy OHL team didn't really flatter him at all in terms of offensive upside, but at the U18s he looked like a solid project. Probably more of a #4 "upside", but i was really disappointed when he got snatched away just ahead of our pick.

Very noticeable tonight.

Yeah, totally agree. And he made some really smart gambles at the line to keep plays alive. Lots of work ahead, but he has a great foundation to build from.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
ah ****. Missed this. Is someone going to write a small summary on how some played?

Small summary.

Subban-okay
Olli - Good
Stecher- Great
Demko - Good
Broisboaa- Bad

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Effort and team play was solid. Honestly, just a lack of talent showing for the team.

Yeah and I expect all of the games in the tournament to be like that. Reminds me of how the Leafs were all of last season.

Small summary.

Subban-okay
Olli - Good
Stecher- Great
Demko - Good
Broisboaa- Bad

Throw Olson into the awful category and throw Subban, Cassels, Carcone and Roy into the good category and this is mine.

Last edited:

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Small summary.

Subban-okay
Olli - Good
Stecher- Great
Demko - Good
Broisboaa- Bad

That's good enough for me. Brisebois was that bad eh? Disappointing. Great to see Stecher was his usual self. He definitely has a chance to turn himself into a top 4 puck mover long term. Lots of skill and great vision.

HarvP19

Nov 19, 2014
What did you guys think of Carcone or Laplante? Didnt get keep a eye on the game that much?

HarvP19

Nov 19, 2014
Im also Curious about Curtis Valk guy, he is small and speedy but lacks physicality. This is his third time at tourny.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Game pretty much as advertised....no way Stecher and Subban aren't going to get some games in the NHL this year when the inevitable injuries hit on the blueline.....but that forward group..wow!....can see why they signed Carcone, but when an ECHL'er like Valk is your best forward, it's time to put the fiddle in the case.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Im also Curious about Curtis Valk guy, he is small and speedy but lacks physicality. This is his third time at tourny.

You mean the Valk that's spent the last two seasons in the ECHL with a few callups the Comets? He's nothing special, he looks good against kids but struggles to have an impact at the AHL level. This could be the season he sticks in the AHL, but he's not going much higher than the middle 6 in the AHL, and that's at best.

Game pretty much as advertised....no way Stecher and Subban aren't going to get some games in the NHL this year when the inevitable injuries hit on the blueline.....but that forward group..wow!....can see why they signed Carcone, but when an ECHL'er like Valk is your best forward, it's time to put the fiddle in the case.

I'd say Cassels was probably better, but none of the forwards had a great night.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
"Gilliam" Brisebois: imo, still looks like a guy who hasn't properly grown into his body yet. He looks maybe even taller than last season...and just as gangly. He's still plenty mobile in some respects, but everything just looks more difficult than it should be to coordinate for him and it's not as smooth as he was even in his draft year where he was already a super scrawny dude. He was always going to be a real project though...i'm hopeful that eventually he starts to grow into his frame and get things sorted out.

He had some good moments, plenty of bad ones where he was just a split second off what he should be doing.

As for way too many other thoughts because i'm way too excited about the return of Canucks-ish hockey...

Tate Olson: Thought he was still the worst of our defencemen. Though our defencemen were basically the best of our skaters. A lot of spazzy play but interesting tools.

Juolevi: Exactly as expected. Nothing ever looked out of control for him. The number of plays he neutralized before they could even get started is superb even in a scrambly tournament like this. Always in position to support the play with and without the puck. I get that this isn't the sort of tournament where his skillset really jumps off the screen...but i'm flabbergasted people didn't manage to notice anything he was doing. His brain was everywhere.

Tiny Subban: All over the place, good and bad. His puck-rushing offensive flair is super exciting in a tournament like this...but good heavens he must've conceded 20+ completely clean zone entries. Felt like at least one per shift. Sloppy systems or not, in those 1-on-1s, a 5'9" defender just can't do that. Especially when they struggle like that in defending the cycle, and seem to wander in coverage.

Stecher: Compared to Subban, the structure in his game side by side is immediately apparent. The wheels stand out a ton, but he showed a lot of restraint when necessary too. Defensively, showed much better feel for how and when to pressure...comparatively speaking. Exciting...but then, he should look good with his experience.

The Forwards mostly were not good. :laugh: But that's not overly surprising.

Cassels: Did a really nice job along the boards and on the cycle. Showed he's got the wheels to keep up at this level...but still looked far from explosive or quick. Really hope the healthy offseason has given him the extra step he needs to hold his own at the Pro level though. You can see the positional savvy is still there.

Carcone: One of the few who really seemed able to generate anything. Used some speed and tenacity to take advantage of some sloppy play. No idea what we have here, but at this level he can certainly generate a few things.

D'Aoust: So glad we invited him actually, in that it's just hysterical watching him try to skate hard. Some entertainment at least.

Abols: Awkward and not really effective offensively, but he was pretty imposing physically. Not mean, but he used his size well. Though he should 'cause he old as a-balls. *insert pricipuns.gif*

LaBate: The guy's a huge 23 year old with Pro experience in a tournament for children. Looked the part. Though showed very little real skill. :dunno:

Valk: Hustles like the dickens and knows where to go to create offense, but he's just so physically disadvantaged even in a tournament like this. Nice having him around though.

The rest, there's really just nothing to say.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I wonder how much playing with Olli vs Bresbois influenced the performances of Subban and Stecher. I don't think Bresbois was bad, but Juolevi is on another level and really plays a game that would compliment either Subban or Stecher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad