You only have two options on Hyman, which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer for Hyman?

• Total voters

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
If we go 7 years we must compete with every other team but if we go 8 he will bypass the lengthy open market.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If we go 7 years we must compete with every other team but if we go 8 he will bypass the lengthy open market.

Not really. Hyman has apparently agreed to a number on a 7yr deal already. I don't think it would be too lengthy since no other GM is dumb enough to offer 7 yrs to a 29yo

Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Depends what the draft pick or prospect is. I wouldn't give up anything from the first 3 rounds or any of the current top 3 prospects at any position (ie. forward or defense).

Also structure matters, I don't want the last two or three years to have any signing bonus money. Only salary and not at such a low number that a buyout achieves no real cap savings.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
What a shame this whole thing is sounding like so far. He really is exactly what we need, but we always get f***ed going after what we need.

Reactions: Cloned

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Is there a secret third option I can choose?

4dzeiL.gif

Careful what you wish for.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Depends what the draft pick or prospect is. I wouldn't give up anything from the first 3 rounds or any of the current top 3 prospects at any position (ie. forward or defense).

Also structure matters, I don't want the last two or three years to have any signing bonus money. Only salary and not at such a low number that a buyout achieves no real cap savings.
It should be something like a 6th in 2023. Otherwise I'd just wait.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
If it's a late pick, I go with the 8 years. Love the player, think he'd be an awesome add, and just hope we get 4 really good years out of him.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
This is like being asked if you want to be shot to death or stabbed to death.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It should be something like a 6th in 2023. Otherwise I'd just wait.

$3.5-5M cap space over the next 7 years is still fairly signifiant, (granted that $5M in year 8 will likely suck real bad). I think you are on the right track, but I'd consider a little higher than that, just not much and preferably a year or two out.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
$3.5-5M cap space over the next 7 years is still fairly signifiant, (granted that $5M in year 8 will likely suck real bad). I think you are on the right track, but I'd consider a little higher than that, just not much and preferably a year or two out.
That's fine. Truthfully, I'd probaby consider more as well but it would really aggravate me to see the Oilers pay yet again for something that most other teams seem to get lmost for free.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
If it's a late pick, I go with the 8 years. Love the player, think he'd be an awesome add, and just hope we get 4 really good years out of him.

Really the next four years are what matters most anyways. If the team is good enough that McDavid and Drai prefer to stay for another contract and go for cups, odds are they'd be willing to sign for similar or less cap to help make that happen.

So moves like this and Nuge are "all-in" gambles that if they pay off we'll see cup runs with McDrai, if they fail, there gone in 4/5 years anyways. I'm fairly confident RNH and Hyman move helps the team at least next year and the year after that in ensuring we don't have any significant gaps in our top 6, while hopefully some of the prospects develop in the bottom 6 and possibly push within the next couple years for playing time.

Unfortunately, the timing of this also lines up with a major blow to our defense in the last week, so I don't think we're actually further ahead overall yet.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad