'You haven't done anything until you've won a Stanley Cup'

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
https://www.tsn.ca/you-haven-t-done-anything-until-you-ve-won-a-stanley-cup-1.1185883

Great article by Scheif:

"Don't get me wrong, there were some subtle victories. Last year, we made big strides and we have to be happy about that as a team and individuals. But at the end of the day, we didn’t accomplish anything.
You haven’t done anything until you’ve won a Stanley Cup.
When you get that close, anything short of the ultimate goal is failure. That has to be our mindset now. You can’t be satisfied. I know we're not."

Reactions: Ippenator

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
That article honestly gave me chills, I love the passion in his words, hes definitely hungry for more. As the season starts I think people not just the players are anxious to see what will come next, having stood in Nashville for the playoffs with the crowds outside the arena I understand what he means by the fans giving off an uplifting vibe, I can only imagine what it does to the players. Of course being a Nashville fan I want to see us go all the way, but I love this level of rise in fan activity that we are starting to see such as Vegas and Winnipeg, hopefully the sport will grow to that level more in the US

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
Love this kid, he lives and breathes hockey and wants to be a Jet for all the right reasons. His determination to get better and to win is invigorating and is obviously rubbing off on the team, I usually wouldn't suggest Professional Sports Athletes as role models for our youth as most play their respected sports for the wrong reasons but this young man is apart of a select few who I'd be happy to suggest to any kid as being a role model. We are lucky to have him on our team. Go Jets Go!

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I love his energy but it's kind of odd that a player so scientific and rational about every waking aspect of his career would be oblivious to the massive role that variance plays in winning the Cup, and how much of it is truly out of your hands.

Teemus Salami

Sep 28, 2017
honestly besides a very very select couple of players in the league, I don't think there is somebody I'd rather have on this team than Sheif, and this article only solidifies that.

Reactions: SoupaTroupa

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
I love his energy but it's kind of odd that a player so scientific and rational about every waking aspect of his career would be oblivious to the massive role that variance plays in winning the Cup, and how much of it is truly out of your hands.

I'm sure he realizes that. Of course you need plenty of luck to win the Cup, but you need a lot more than that too. Scheif's attitude - that it's all about the cup, and nothing else matters - is what winners are made of. If you're satisfied with a third round exit, that's exactly what you'll get.

Determination to win it all is a critical ingredient in actually winning it all.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I'm sure he realizes that. Of course you need plenty of luck to win the Cup, but you need a lot more than that too. Scheif's attitude - that it's all about the cup, and nothing else matters - is what winners are made of.

Not being "results oriented" is exactly what winners are made of.

If you're satisfied with a third round exit, that's exactly what you'll get.

Or if you're not satisfied with a third round exit, that's exactly what you'll sometimes get anyways. Like last year, for instance.

People who are successful in life are satisfied with playing to the absolute best of their ability and giving absolutely everything they're humanely capable of giving.

Determination to win it all is a critical ingredient in actually winning it all.

Yes, it is a necessary but not sufficient condition. That's all I'm saying. And we both believe that Schiefele knows that.

Defining success and failure in terms of things not fully within your control is a recipe for disaster.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
If there were any doubts as to why the Jets selected Mark Scheifele "off the board" at pick number 7, ahead of several others that were projected as top ten picks - this is it right here. He has demonstrated an almost pathological passion to improving himself and the team around him.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
*sniff* our boy is all grown up now, just seems like yesterday he was drafted

upload_2018-10-4_15-53-11.jpeg

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Love him, my favourite player...…….talk is cheap though.

Fortunately he knows that too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad