You Get To Be Kyle Dubas

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Just for a little fun on a Wednesday night...

Most people seem to want William Nylander resigned (myself included). That said, the expectation of the fanbase is that Toronto will keep improving and become a cup contender. Build a 2019 roster that makes Toronto better team than the 2018 version will be, and try to be realistic in doing so...

Matthews (11.0 million): 45-50 goals, 90+ points you're crazy if you think he's taking a penny less.
Tavares (11.0 million)
Marner (8.0 million): If he's healthy, he's putting up 75+ points this year. Playing with Tavares 5 on 5.
Nylander (6.5 million): Seems like accurate value when looking at comparable contracts.
Marleau (6.25 million)
Reilly (5.0 million)
Anderson (5.0 million)
Kadri (4.5 million)
Zaitsev (4.5 million)
Hyman (2.25 million)
Brown (2.1 million)

Kessel (1.2 million)
Dermott (863 thousand)

Total= 68.237 million

Key unsigned players
Jake Gardiner
Kasperi Kapanen

Let's say the salary cap heading into 2019 is 82.0 million. You have 13.763 million dollars to build the rest of the roster and improve from the 2018 Toronto Maple Leafs. You need...

5 forwards
4 defensemen
1 backup goalie

Feel free to suggest reasonable trades. Let's see your team!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Most people seem to want William Nylander resigned (myself included). That said, the expectation of the fanbase is that Toronto will keep improving and become a cup contender. Build a 2019 roster that makes Toronto better team than the 2018 version will be, and try to be realistic in doing so...

Matthews (11.0 million): 45-50 goals, 90+ points you're crazy if you think he's taking a penny less.
Tavares (11.0 million)
Marner (8.0 million): If he's healthy, he's putting up 75+ points this year. Playing with Tavares 5 on 5.
Nylander (6.5 million): Seems like accurate value when looking at comparable contracts.
Marleau (6.25 million)
Reilly (5.0 million)
Anderson (5.0 million)
Kadri (4.5 million)
Zaitsev (4.5 million)
Hyman (2.25 million)
Brown (2.1 million)

Kessel (1.2 million)
Dermott (863 thousand)

Total= 68.237 million

Key unsigned players
Jake Gardiner
Kasperi Kapanen

Let's say the salary cap heading into 2019 is 82.0 million. You have 13.763 million dollars to build the rest of the roster and improve from the 2018 Toronto Maple Leafs. You need...

5 forwards
4 defensemen
1 backup goalie

I don't want to suggest for what etc, but Brown can likely be replaced. 2.1M for what he brings when you're watching your cap seems like it could be better spent.

Reactions: kfox

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
I’d be pleasantly surprised if we got Matthews, Marner and Nylander locked up for 26.5m.

Marner is a wild card for me.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I’d be pleasantly surprised if we got Matthews, Marner and Nylander locked up for 26.5m.

Marner is a wild card for me.

Matthews is 11M for sure, gets the 8 years at 11M just like Tavares got (We're getting an extra year of term but RFA vs UFA).

Nylander definitely fits the bill at 6.5M, that's what he's worth.

Marner is tough, I have been using $7.5M as the cap hit for him. Tarasenko money basically.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Brown traded, Kap 2 million, Gardiner 6 million, Sparks for about 800k, Borgman 800k. If you can manage to shave few 100k off a couple contracts then you can resign Leivo or Johnsson for the 23rd roster spot.

Marleau Matthews Kapanen
Hyman Tavares Marner
Grundstrom Kadri Nylander
Engvall Brooks Bracco
Marchment

Rielly Gardiner
Dermott Zaitsev
Borgman Liljegren
Holl

Andersen
Sparks

It's not ideal, and I'd imagine there's be some low value UFA Ennis types in the 4th line instead, but I just went off the exact numbers we already had signed from prospects.

Reactions: Intact

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don't want to suggest for what etc, but Brown can likely be replaced. 2.1M for what he brings when you're watching your cap seems like it could be better spent.

That Marleau contract looks like a noose with that 3rd year and a full NMC right about now

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Id tell the media to f*** off and whatever I do or ends up happening, will be what happens.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That Marleau contract looks like a noose with that 3rd year and a full NMC right about now

We'll see if the speculation about that 3rd year basically not counting is true. They structured it to make it very easy to move. If he consented at the start of that contract to allow us to move him in year 3 if need be then moving him would help.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Brown traded, Kap 2 million, Gardiner 6 million, Sparks for about 800k, Borgman 800k. If you can manage to shave few 100k off a couple contracts then you can resign Leivo or Johnsson for the 23rd roster spot.

Marleau Matthews Kapanen
Hyman Tavares Marner
Grundstrom Kadri Nylander
Engvall Brooks Bracco
Marchment

Rielly Gardiner
Dermott Zaitsev
Borgman Liljegren
Holl

Andersen
Sparks

It's not ideal, and I'd imagine there's be some low value UFA Ennis types in the 4th line instead, but I just went off the exact numbers we already had signed from prospects.

Thanks for taking the time.

A couple observations IMO...

1. The defense core still isn't addressed at all. No improvement outside a year of extra development for Reilly, Dermott and the Marlies. Still in the lower half of the league and nowhere near teams like Tampa Bay, San Jose or Washington, etc, etc, who Toronto is theoretically competing with for Cups.

2. Kapanen at for 2 million is a pipe dream. If he continues to play with Matthews, he's a lock for 50 points. Considering Brown was 2.1 and Hyman was 2.3, I don't see him resigning for any less that 3.0-3.5 million.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010

Tavares (11.0 million)
Marleau (6.25 million)
Reilly (5.0 million)
Anderson (5.0 million)
Kadri (4.5 million)
Zaitsev (4.5 million)
Hyman (2.25 million)
Brown (2.1 million)

Kessel (1.2 million)
Dermott (863 thousand)

Total= 68.237 million

Key unsigned players
Jake Gardiner
Kasperi Kapanen

5 forwards
4 defensemen
1 backup goalie

I'll do a "status quo" version for my own reference, trying to keep as much of the team intact as possible, and avoiding blockbuster trades that completely change the core.

Hyman 2.25M Matthews 12M Kapanen 3M
Leivo 2M Tavares 11M Nylander 7.5M
Johnsson 2.5M Kadri 4.5M Marner 8M
Marlie .9M Gauthier .675M Marlie .9M
Marlie .9M

Rielly 5M Zaitsev 4.5M
Gardiner 7M Dermott .864M
Sandin .925M Liljegrin .875M
Holl .675M Marlie .9M

Sign Gardiner for 7M per
Sign Matthews to 12M per
Sign Nylander for 7.5M per
Sign Marner to 8M per
Sign Kapanen to 3M per
Sign Johnsson to 2.5 M per
Sign Pickard for 1M per

Marleau is traded for picks or retires
Trade Andersssen for picks
Trade Brown for picks

Sparks .675M
Pickard 1M

(Kessel 1.2M)

$79.739M

Assets lost - Marleau + Anderssen
Other players lost - Ennis, Lindholm, Hainsey
Assets gained - future picks

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We'll see if the speculation about that 3rd year basically not counting is true. They structured it to make it very easy to move. If he consented at the start of that contract to allow us to move him in year 3 if need be then moving him would help.

The magic words are "if he consents"

Setting it up so that he got to choose in that 3rd year wasn't exactly optimal

Reactions: dsred and ponder

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Gardiner + Brown + Leivo
for
Tanev + Virtanen

Nucks get more skill/offence, Leafs get more defensive ability and toughness. Also more cost control - Tanev is signed 2 more years (at $4.45), vs Gards who will need a raise next year.

Roster this year becomes:

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Ennis - Lindholm - Virtanen

Rielly - Tanev
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman - Hainsey

Andersen
Sparks

Next year’s roster would remain unchanged other than one of Grundstrom/Engvall replacing Ennis, and Liljegren replacing Hainsey (cost savings there). If we still need more cap space, we try REAL HARD to get Marleau to accept a trade.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The magic words are "if he consents"

Setting it up so that he got to choose in that 3rd year wasn't exactly optimal

All speculation.

The contract kind of does the talking for me to be honest. Having only a $1.5M salary and having us pay out that bonus on July 1st says to me they meant to move this contract in year 3.

I hated the Martin deal but I saw it as moveable this off-season as soon as we paid out the bonus. Tons of teams have cap space but it's all about the budget. Martin fits team's budgets. Marleau might cost us a 3rd or something to move as a favor, but it opens up a massive amount of space for us.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
All speculation.

The contract kind of does the talking for me to be honest. Having only a $1.5M salary and having us pay out that bonus on July 1st says to me they meant to move this contract in year 3.

I hated the Martin deal but I saw it as moveable this off-season as soon as we paid out the bonus. Tons of teams have cap space but it's all about the budget. Martin fits team's budgets. Marleau might cost us a 3rd or something to move as a favor, but it opens up a massive amount of space for us.

You know what talks as well? A Stanley Cup
He's actually got a chance to win one which would be pretty attractive to a guy that old and that's played this long i'd imagine

Martin didn't have a full NMC so we could do anything we wanted with him, we cannot do anything without Marleau's consent

Reactions: dsred

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
TOP SECRET
THE SHANNAPLAN
OPERATION "GOLDEN" LEAF

Hyman 2.25M Matthews 11M Kapanen 2.8M
Leivo 2M Tavares 11M Nylander 6.25M
Johnsson 2.1M Kadri 4.5M Marner 8M
Marlie .8M Gauthier .675M Marlie .8M
Marlie .8M

Rielly 5M Karlsson 11M
Dermott .864M Petry 5.5M
Marlie .8M Marlie .8M

Sign Matthews to 11M per with HARD NTC max term
Sign Nylander for 6.25M per BRIDGE DEAL OF 2 YEARS with NTC
Sign Marner to 8M per with HARD NTC max term
Sign Kapanen to 2.8 M per for 3 years
Sign Johnsson to 2.1 M per for 2 years
Sign Leivo to 2M per for 1 year
Sign Pickard for 1M per for 2 years
Sign E. KARLSSON to 11M per limited NTC max term

Marleau is traded for picks or retires
Trade Andersssen for picks
Trade Brown for picks
Trade with the Montreal Canadians for Petry using Zaitsev and picks/prospects

Sparks .675M
Pickard 1M

(Kessel 1.2M)

$81.7M in Capspace.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Marleau6.25Matthews11Kapanen3
Hyman2.25Tavares11Marner8
Johnsson1.75Kadri4.5Nylander6.75
Engvall0.925Lindholm1.25Brown2.1
Leivo1.1
Rielly5Zaitsev4.5
Dermott0.864Liljegren0.895
Borgman1.1Ozhiganov1.1
Rosen1.1Holl0.675
Andersen5
Sparks1
Kessel1.2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
All speculation.

Cap management sure looks to be a challenge. Agree that Martin was easier to move due to his contract, but he was also easier to move for us due to being expendable as a healthy scratch. Marleau's much more expensive on the cap, but he's also a lineup fixture on an important line and insurance at C and on the PK. We'll have to see how this season plays out on a few fronts.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
We'll see. The third year is basically zero money after July 1st. Could pull an Orpik, trade him, have team buy him out, that team takes the $6.25M cap hit and we bring back Marleau on a team friendly deal for more actual money than he would have made anyways.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You know what talks as well? A Stanley Cup
He's actually got a chance to win one which would be pretty attractive to a guy that old and that's played this long i'd imagine

Martin didn't have a full NMC so we could do anything we wanted with him, we cannot do anything without Marleau's consent

Cap management sure looks to be a challenge. Agree that Martin was easier to move due to his contract, but he was also easier to move for us due to being expendable as a healthy scratch. Marleau's much more expensive on the cap, but he's also a lineup fixture on an important line and insurance at C and on the PK. We'll have to see how this season plays out on a few fronts.

Yep and it's a circular thing, we can talk about it. We'll find out in a year from now what happened.

Reactions: Kiwi and Buds17

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
If Matthews continues to put up huge numbers (they'll obviously still come down from his current pace) then he's likely getting more than 11M. I can see him getting close to McDavid's contract once you factor in that he signed it 2 summers ago (taking into effect this season) and that McDavid likely gave a discount too.
So it'll depend on how much of a discount, if any, Matthews will give the Leafs. But I'm thinking if he really wanted to, he could definitely get more than 11M from us.

As for Marner, if he puts up ppg+...I think he's also getting more than 8M.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Gards would be gone,traded or walk ,don't care! Hainsey will be gone as well . Someone said Browny could be replaced with a cheaper option,ok ,well so can Hyman be easily replaced! D options waiting in the system are not that bad and a couple look promising. Lilly ,Borg,Rosen!
Willy has till Dec. or something before he is done for the year? I 'm on the phone now ,lookin' for the best I can get,D or otherwise!
If Matthews and Marner continue to lite it up ,then it's gonna get expensive. Maybe it's best to dump Willy now!

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
All speculation.

If that were the case why would they have given him a NMC? If the contract does the talking, and we look at all aspects of the contract, the most sensible explanation is that they structured it in such a way so that he would have the oprion to retire early without adversely affecting the Leafs' cap situation.

There is also no chance they made some kind if arrangement at the beginning of the deal. No way do you keep yourself in as good shape as Marleau and then say "yup, I will definitely be ready to be put out to pasture in a couple years, let's build a contract that will force you to o ship me out to Arizona in a couple years"

Reactions: dsred

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Everyone worries about offer sheets to the big three, but it's guys like Kapanen that are the real risks in that regard.

They can be signed for up to $4M at the cost of only a second rounder. Now if Kappy takes the next step next year, maybe a team sees a cheap (in terms of assets) way to pick up a good young player. Leafs would reaally need to bridge him because of the cap crunch.

From Kapanen's perspective, given all the unknowns of an NHL career, is it greedy to jump at $20M over $5M, or just sensible?

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
I'll do a "status quo" version for my own reference, trying to keep as much of the team intact as possible, and avoiding blockbuster trades that completely change the core.

Hyman 2.25M Matthews 12M Kapanen 3M
Leivo 2M Tavares 11M Nylander 7.5M
Johnsson 2.5M Kadri 4.5M Marner 8M
Marlie .9M Gauthier .675M Marlie .9M
Marlie .9M

Rielly 5M Zaitsev 4.5M
Gardiner 7M Dermott .864M
Holl .675M Marlie .9M

Sign Gardiner for 7M per
Sign Matthews to 12M per
Sign Nylander for 7.5M per