You Can Change Each Award Once

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
For 1975, if anyone's ever made an argument for Orr about ratios, they have to concede the 1975 Hart to be logically consistent.

Orr pounded the bottom teams, but Clarke was better against good teams. Going for Orr in 75 is putting a lot of weight on his going 8-8-16, +20 against the expansion Caps, which shouldn't really add a lot of value in a Hart race.

vs Top 5 teams (.560 or better)
Clarke 16 GP, 19 PTS, +13
Orr 20 GP, 24 PtS, -4

vs Middle 8 teams (.480 - .560)
Clarke 41 GP, 53 PTS, +38
Orr 36 GP, 60 PTS, +34

vs Bottom 5 teams (less than .365)
Clarke 23 GP, 44 PTS, +28
Orr 24 GP, 51 PTS, +50

hm, that’s food for thought

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
In 2001 the Lady Byng was decided by a mere 4 points, Sakic edging out Lidstrom despite having several less 1st place votes and more penalty minutes. The rarity of defensemen considered for this award (none since Red Kelly in 1954) cost him some 2nd and 3rd place votes for sure.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The Pearson in those days, as you probably know, was a very low-prestige award, awarded in the media only (as far as I know) by the NHLPA, not even presented at NHL Awards night, and generally receiving scant attention. The definition of the award also changed from something like 'contribution to hockey' into 'best player in the NHL' at some indeterminate point in the early/mid-1980s, and since we haven't been able to determine that exactly in the internet era, I'm pretty sure the players back then didn't know about it either (nor really cared).

I think the players didn't take the Pearson overly seriously in the 70s/80s and into the 90s as well. That probably explains Lemieux in '86, Yzerman in '89, etc. It was more like the "players'-narrative" award.

I assume you meant '87, as Gretzky did win in '88.

I dunno... in 1983, he was the best player for sure and set the all-time records for points in a playoff year. Sounds great, right? But if your club gets swept in the Finals, should you win the MVP? I'm gonna say 'no'.

In 1987, Gretzky dominated scoring far less than usual (he was concussed throughout the Detroit series, I think), and there were just a lot of Edmonton players, plus Ron Hextall, who were stand-outs. So, I can see that one, too, even if I do sometimes tire of the "no-obvious-skater, so-let's-give-it-to-the-goalie" thing that kind of started with Hextall and became a common thing ever after.

I do know the Pearson was a bit different back then than it is today, yes. It's still a bit weird looking back and seeing such obvious seasons ignored.

For the Conn Smythe - you're right I meant 87 not 88, typo.

I agree with you on 83 - I mean I still think he could have/should have won - but being swept in finals didn't help a lot, and especially his low production (4 points in 4 games, which is bad for Gretzky). I think out of the 3 years I listed, it's the one I'm most understanding of him not winning. If he had scored more in the finals, even in a sweep, I'd say differently though.

84 - he should have won. Messier is great - but this was all about 'narrative'. Gretzky is the best and most valuable player for the Oilers in 84. You simply can't convince me otherwise, even though Messier played a very key role. Gretzky had most points in playoffs (including 9 more than Messier) and most points + goals in finals.

87 - I wasn't watching then, but I still don't get the Hextall win. Was he really that good? It doesn't seem so. It seems more like a "typical decent run by a #1 goalie who makes the final", and much less in the mold of a Giguere 2003 run, worthy of a smythe in a losing cause. Giguere won in a losing cause, and you can probably argue it's a top 5 goalie run of all-time (heck, maybe even #1). Is Hextall's run even a top 10 run of all time for a goalie? Top 20? I just don't really get it.

But what bothers me even more is that if you change Wayne Gretzky's name in the 1987 playoffs to Joe Smith, he 100% wins the Conn Smythe. Led playoffs in points by 6, 11 points in finals (2 more than anyone else)....he only didn't win because he was being held to too high a standard (ie his own previous 85 smythe). He was the best and most valuable player in the 1987 playoffs - and he should have won, it should be that simple.

To make a parallel to 87 - I was happy to see Sidney Crosby win the Smythe in 2017. Yeah the 2016 one has gotten enough press already - not the strongest smythe ever in a weaker year of candidates - but it would have been easy for voters in 2017 to say "well, he already got his smythe. Crosby is great, but he can do better as Crosby, so let's give it to someone else". No - instead, he was the best player (but not by a huge gap), and they voted for him accordingly, even if it meant him having 2 smythes in a row, they didn't try to hold him to a higher standard due to his name/previous win. I hate those 'narrative' political votes. MVP is MVP - keep it simple, Gretzky should have won in 1987.

If Pens had somehow won the cup in 93 with their powerhouse of a team - I wonder if they'd have tried to come up with a narrative to keep a 3rd smythe away from Lemieux (assuming he would be the obvious choice, which seems likely).

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The 1987 narrative (I was around then, but I was still a little kid) was basically "Hextall -- the heroic, rookie goaltender foils the mighty Oilers' offence!" I mean, there was some truth to it, but also not a whole lot...

For one thing, no one will convince me that Hextall was any better than Grant Fuhr in the Finals, or, really, in the '87 playoffs. But, fair enough, Hextall was probably more valuable to his team.

But this whole narrative of "Hextall held the Flyers in against the mighty Oilers" kind of falls apart when you look at the fact that Philly was #1 overall in 1985 (with Lindbergh) and #2 overall in 1986 (with Froese). In 1987, after a hot start, they fell off badly in the second half and were not as strong as the two preceding seasons with two goalies who weren't Hextall. (The fact that Philly could have a 110-point season with their back-up as the new #1 guy sort of makes Hextall's heroics feel a little suspect.)

But Hextall was good. I mean, I can't deny it.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Hextall deserved it in '87, but absolutely it was in part a product of fantastic team defense (which is not a unique occurrence by any means).

If the Vezina was a goalie MVP award then I think Kelly Hrudey would have been more deserving that year. Or Mike Liut.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Ill only do one.

99-00 Hart: Jagr. Prongers Hart is just totally random since it's almost never given to defencemen so I would correct that by giving it to the player being arguably most disrespected by the voters in history of the trophy. If you feel like Jagr played to few games(although I am sure McDavid would win it in a similiar scenario) just give to the highest scoring forward who played enough games :)

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Ill only do one.

99-00 Hart: Jagr. Prongers Hart is just totally random since it's almost never given to defencemen so I would correct that by giving it to the player being arguably most disrespected by the voters in history of the trophy. If you feel like Jagr played to few games(although I am sure McDavid would win it in a similiar scenario) just give to the highest scoring forward who played enough games :)

I agree with your sentiment and would have preferred Jagr too. Not sure about 'any other forward with enough games' though...like who? Pronger had a strong year - Jagr was just better. Honestly if not Jagr nor Pronger - may as well do Hasek again

As to the bolded and McDavid - honestly that's just a really bad example in my opinion. Because McDavid might be in the running with Jagr for 'most disrespected by Hart voters'. McDavid was really good in 2018 and 2020 and finished in 5th place - he deserved better. Even in 2019 - should probably have been 2nd behind Kucherov.

Hart voters haven't exactly been kind to McDavid

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
If we include Stanley Cup into the mix, then the 99 Cup going to the Sabres is a contender.

Hasek gets his Conn Smythe and puts up one of the most dominating playoffs by a goalie in NHL history.

One of the strongest arguments for Roy over Hasek is playoff performance. Roy was top 3 playoff performers all time. Hasek was great, but doesn't have an 86 or 93.

I think the consensus becomes Hasek over Roy.

The Sharks winning in 2016 has a pretty significant impact on Joe Thornton's career. He would lose the label of playoff choker and would likely be retired now. Additionally, Crosby loses a Smythe.

Boston winning in 1990 gives a huge boost (and Smythe) to Bourque. We lose the iconic moment with Sakic though. The Oilers never win without Gretzky and I think his reputation grows ever more. Bourque likely gets more boosters above Lidstrom as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: buffalowing88

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
If we include Stanley Cup into the mix, then the 99 Cup going to the Sabres is a contender.

Hasek gets his Conn Smythe and puts up one of the most dominating playoffs by a goalie in NHL history.

One of the strongest arguments for Roy over Hasek is playoff performance. Roy was top 3 playoff performers all time. Hasek was great, but doesn't have an 86 or 93.

The Sharks winning in 2016 has a pretty significant impact on Joe Thornton's career. He would lose the label of playoff choker and would likely be retired now. Additionally, Crosby loses a Smythe.

Boston winning in 1990 gives a huge boost (and Smythe) to Bourque. We lose the iconic moment with Sakic though. The Oilers never win without Gretzky and I think his reputation grows ever more. Bourque likely gets more boosters above Lidstrom as well.

I mean...i'd love to see that Cup shift hands in 99 but honestly we would have been in for it if the series goes back to Dallas for Game 7. That Stars team was so incredibly deep and had so many leaders. All Buffalo had was some sort of cool coaching from Ruff as an up-and-comer at the time and Hasek. We were just not a match. A win would have certainly shifted much of hockey history, however. Hasek definitely jumps into everyone's top-10, if not higher. Buffalo maybe becomes something different as well. They didn't just fall off the face of the planet after that season.

But in the end, Dallas had something like 8 different guys who would be or had been team captains on the roster along with a top-5 goalie. We would have needed a miracle to beat them.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Ill only do one.

I'm torn on this. Did you watch much of the Blues games that year? Pronger was a force of nature. Weirdly, he may not have even been the best blueliner on that team but I didn't have an issue with it. He was just so dominant in so many facets and he was only barely hitting his mid-20s. Jagr was great, too, but Pronger was transcendent. He'd do it again from 05-10 and I just honestly don't remember a defenseman from that era being so impactful. Lidstrom was more consistent and subtle and Niedermayer was the better skater and a fluid player, but Pronger was something else.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
It's interesting to ponder how it's such a game of luck at a certain degree of competitiveness. Hockey is such a sport of mistakes and randomness, sometimes.

About Gretzky's rep (if it needs inflating), imagine if:
-- The Oilers don't come back from 3-1 down to Winnipeg in 1990, or don't come back from 2-1 down to Chicago.
-- McSorley isn't called for an illegal stick with a minute left in game two, 1993 -- the Kings then hang on to win, and go back to L.A. up 2-0 in the series. Kings win the Cup in six, Gretzky wins a Cup in L.A. and another Conn Smythe.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

It's interesting to consider how flipping a Stanley Cup result could impact perception of a player, assuming that the relevant players play at the same level they had been. Probably a thread on its own. I'd have to think that Hull gets a nice boost from some if Chicago wins either of its 7 game finals in 1965 or 1971 and he presumably walks away with the Conn Smythe. I'd be interested in how Bure would be remembered if Vancouver had won its game 7 series in 1994 as well.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
First couple that came to mind for me:

1996 Vezina - Puppa over Carey
2003 Calder - Zetterberg over Jackman

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Speaking of Stanley Cup, Leafs beat Kerry Fraser & The Kings in '93 in the Conference Final.

They then go on & beat the Habs in 7 in the Cup Final.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Vezina: 2002-03, Marty Turco
To be frank, Brodeur was gifted the trophy this year when you compare his .914 to Turco's .932. I genuinely don't understand how the voting committee ignores a gap like that.

Hart Trophy: 2017-18, Nathan Mackinnon
This is probably my most biased pick considering I don't really have any objective argument against Taylor winning it. I just think the award would mean more for Mackinnon's legacy when you take the backstory of that season into account

Conn Smythe: 2016-17, Matt Murray
Same sentiment as the Turco case. The trophy was given to Crosby to pad his legacy, his performance in the finals wasn't all that impressive although he was good defensively. Up until that year, goaltending was the elephant in the room for Pittsburgh, Murray was the final piece of the puzzle.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Hart - 2012-13, Toews over Ovechkin. Picking a lockout season feels like cheating, but I didn’t like Ovechkin for Hart that season, and Toews was the best even strength player in the league. Just an incredible season driving an incredible team, even if it was only 48 games. +21 on the road!

Norris - 1980-81, Potvin over Carlyle. Probably most of the forum would agree with this one. Carlyle had a big year on the power play but Denis Potvin was just another class of player.

Vezina - 2003-04, Luongo over Brodeur.

Selke - 2006-07, Pahlsson over Brind’Amour. Pahlsson was just better defensively this season. I think Brind’Amour was getting some credit for lifting the Cup the previous June.

Smythe - 2013-14, Doughty over Williams. Williams had a really good playoff, but Doughty had a classic Conn Smythe defenceman playoff.

Calder - 1991-92, Lidstrom over Bure. I know Bure had the wow factor and a great finish to the season, but Lidstrom looks to have been clearly more valuable over the course of the year, helping drive the Wings to a 22 point improvement and division title.

Toews for Hart? I mean you could easily make a case he not even a top 2 player on his team.

In sticking with this I'd take the 2010 Smythe and give it to Kane who saved the Hawks multiple times that run that Toews could not match, but it a popularity award and Kane was hated then for his arrest

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
Hart Trophy: 2017-18, Nathan Mackinnon
This is probably my most biased pick considering I don't really have any objective argument against Taylor winning it. I just think the award would mean more for Mackinnon's legacy when you take the backstory of that season into account
If you're going to change this award, it should go to McDavid, not MacKinnon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad