You can add any 2 past Leafs to the team right now

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
You can add any 2 past Leafs to the team right now. They are in their prime--let's say 23 years old--and signed to an 8 year, extremely-cap friendly deal that doesn't put the team over the cap (in this hypothetical, they fit in the cap as is). Based on the team's current needs--and current make-up--who do you add? You can only add 2, no questions asked.

But, here's the twist--they can be players you add today--even though they might not fill a glaring need (aka, Sundin) but then you need to have a hypothetical plan on how you will work them into the team right now, as well as how you'll manage the team this offseason and beyond, due to their addition.

Me, I'm considering the following players:

-- Broda, G
-- Salming, D
-- Horton, D
-- Sundin, C/RW
-- Gilmour, C/RW
-- Clark, LW
-- Keon, C

The case for Broda--it would certainly be nice to have him during his prime for the next 8 seasons. He'd compete for a Vezina annually and be a brick wall for this offensive-heavy club. Andersen, while very good, is 30 years old. Would a 23-year-old Broda be worth the take? Why not Broda--Is Andersen good enough to win Cups if the team was strengthened in other areas? Do you really use one of these precious two slots on a goaltender, considering Andersen is a very good goaltender?

The case for Salming--Borje would step in and become the Leafs #1 D anchor immediately. This means Rielly and Muzzin become the #2 and #3--making the Leafs a completely different team. Borje is also tailor made for today's game--a swift-skating master of transition, with offensive chops to boot. He could munch as many minutes as needed, in all situations. Why not Salming--I can't think of a single reason.

The case of Horton--Tim Horton would be an absolute rock on the Leafs back-end. Rock solid and physical, Horton would provide a calming presence on the blue line and he would be a terror to play against night in and night out. While not as dynamic as Salming, Horton is elite defensively and would add a dimension the team could use--grit, physicality and snarl. Just imagine if you doubled-up on D and used both slots on Salming and Horton--that means Rielly and Muzzin are your 2nd D pairing. One must think that would instantly catapult the Leafs into a top Cup contender for years, as their Top-4 D would be better than any team in the league. Why not Horton--if you go Salming, do you use the last slot on another defenseman? Can you take Horton over Salming, considering the team composition and today's style of NHL hockey?

The case for Sundin--Could you imagine a top line that features a 6-5, 230 Mats Sundin and a 6-3, 220 Auston Matthews? Flip a coin and decide who plays wing--Mats has played some RW in the past--but the thought of this duo is drool-worthy. I'm not sure how a tandem with that much size, strength, skill, and shooting ability could possibly be stopped in today's game. Add a prime Sundin to the club and we're looking at a McDavid-Draisaitl situation. Mats is also a true leader and is as durable and reliable as they come. Why not Sundin--With Matthews and Tavares already in the fold, is it worth using a slot on Sundin, despite how great he is?

The case for Gilmour--Leadership, grit, attitude and skill. Dougie has it all. He could center a line or play wing if needed--and his spunk and jam would be a warm addition to the Leafs. Another true leader, Dougie would take some of the pressure off the kids due to his DNA--even though he's a kid himself in this scenario. He's versatile and well-rounded, and most of all, he gets filthy. Why not Gilmour--considering the team needs, is adding Gilmour worth the slot if a horse like Sundin is out there?

The case for Clarke--Wendel fills an immediate need on the LW. His physical play, intimidation, leadership and wrist shot would make him a coveted commodity in the game today. It would be like adding a Marchand mixed with a Tom Wilson. He could play on either of the top-2 lines and make sure no Leafs get run. He'd be a menace in the post season and would change the complexion of the team--it would be like adding Matthew Tkachuk--an even better one, perhaps. Why not Clark--there's only 2 slots and some incredible options available, including Hall of Fame caliber forwards, elite D, and a bonafide goaltender. Would we get the best "Wendel" based on how the game is being called and officiated today?

The case for Keon--Davie Keon could do it all. He could skate with the best in the world, score, pass, and kill penalties as well as anyone. He is as versatile as it gets and his skating would make him an elite player today--perhaps even greater in this era. His hockey IQ if off the charts and he could fit anywhere within the line-up. He's a coach's dream. Why not Keon--the team is already loaded with great, skilled forwards.

To me, it comes down to the above 7 players. As great--and useful--as Conacher, Sittler, Mahovlich, Baun, Armstrong, Andreychuk, Bower, etc. are--these are the guys I'm targeting based on need, situation, and today's NHL climate.

Choosing my 2 is extremely difficult. As great as this would be--it's equally as tough deciding! But, at the end of the day I'm going with...

Borje Salming and Mats Sundin.

Even though players like Clark and Gilmour add the jam I desperately want, I go with the two best players I think would excel most in today's game... and try to round-out the roster with affordable, gritty parts in the summer. Salming is a no-brainer--the Leafs would be adding a Norris Trophy candidate overnight--one who would be pure electric with the talent the Leafs have on the roster.

Sundin is my second add--as tough as it was passing up Clark and Dougie, I can't stop thinking about a Sundin-Matthews combo that gives McDavid and Draisaitl a run for their money. I immediately put him on the top line and try Matthews on his wing--right side. I put Nylander, a fellow countryman, on the LW and sit back and watch this line dominate the NHL. This also allows me to move Marner back with Tavares--where I feel he belongs--and the Leafs become the deepest team in the league up front without question. In the offseason, I re-evaluate and considering moving a forward for a better fit, or another rock solid D, if the right deal is there. If not, I go to war with this team for years, and sleep well at night.

How about you? Who do you go with?

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I thought about it. My 2nd slot came down to Sundin vs. Horton.

It wasn't easy for me to pass on Sundin but had to address the defense if given the chance...plus impossible to choose between Horton and Salming if taking just one D.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
It wasn't easy for me to pass on Sundin but had to address the defense if given the chance...plus impossible to choose between Horton and Salming if taking just one D.

That was my thinking too, actually. But then I thought--what if I could parlay a forward into a nice Top-4 D in the offseason--say something built around Nylander for Ristolainen or Manson? Would I rather have Sundin-Ristolainen/Manson OR Nylander-Horton for the next 8 years? Man, either way it's tough! But, could you imagine a Sundin-Matthews combo? It's like a modern day Legion of Doom.

Reactions: Eric bungay

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Salming and Sundin. Sundin would be near unstoppable with today's NHL rules...the guy was a horse...had a huge slapshot and a great backhand...he played a decade of his prime from the mid 1990's to mid 2000's where clutching and grabbing was the norm, and the NHL allowed it.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
23-year-old Sundin on this team. Can't pass that up. I would likely move Tavares to the left-wing like he did for Team Canada in 2016.

Salming would be my 2nd pick as #1D and put him on his strong side.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Tavares - Sundin - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Engvall - Spezza - Clifford

Salming - Rielly
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Barrie

And after all of that... this team would still lose in the first round cause that's how we do things here. :laugh:

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Salming and Sundin. Sundin would be near unstoppable with today's NHL rules...the guy was a horse...had a huge slapshot and a great backhand...he played a decade of his prime from the mid 1990's to mid 2000's where clutching and grabbing was the norm, and the NHL allowed it.
Yea I'm with ya on the two picks, Sundin is a big workhorse for more size down our middle who could skate, shoot, stickhandle and in todays NHL his will would be almost unstoppable and would draw many penalties, Salming well what is there to say but great skater, playmaker just a fantastic D. I chose these over my two favs in Clark and Gilmour just for the fact that we have a playmaker already in Marner and trust me I am not saying that he is in Gilmours league because not only did Dougie play with a bur in his saddle most nights but he also had BIG heart.

Wendel was just my fav in his era where his all around style physicality and shot was just lights out, I went with Sundin because he was a very skilled at all facets at 6'5 200+ pounds who had both big wrist and slap shots, skated like the wind and also passed and set up plays well and good on face offs also played chippy when in a bad mood.

He just would suit this particular team in today's style nhl a tad better imho.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Yea I'm with ya on the two picks, Sundin is a big workhorse for more size down our middle who could skate, shoot, stickhandle and in todays NHL his will would be almost unstoppable and would draw many penalties, Salming well what is there to say but great skater, playmaker just a fantastic D. I chose these over my two favs in Clark and Gilmour just for the fact that we have a playmaker already in Marner and trust me I am not saying that he is in Gilmours league because not only did Dougie play with a bur in his saddle most nights but he also had BIG heart.

Wendel was just my fav in his era where his all around style physicality and shot was just lights out, I went with Sundin because he was a very skilled at all facets at 6'5 200+ pounds who had both big wrist and slap shots, skated like the wind and also passed and set up plays well and good on face offs also played chippy when in a bad mood.

He just would suit this particular team in today's style nhl a tad better imho.
Wendel would also be suspended for half the year with the way he played lol

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Borje Salming for sure. Debating Wendel Clark or Doug Gilmour.

Think I’m leaning Gilmour over Clark. If we’re getting the peak versions of these guys as they were with the Leafs, I think a Selke level centre would be invaluable to this team right now. Clark would be great to to play alongside either Tavares or Matthews and be a protector of sorts, but I think Gilmour would be the more useful player for us right now.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
1st pick has to be the Eagle. Imagine having him in net instead of Andersen.
2nd pick is tough but I would go with Leetch. Even though when he came over, he was past his prime but he was still awesome. On top of that, he is a leader and someone who won the Cup.
Sundin will be my 3rd pick. The Leafs need a right hand C to win faceoff and play against opposing top line. As Sundin always make his winger better, imagine Kap and Engvall as his wings.
4th pick is Rouse. That’s the stay at home, tough as nail RHD, the Leafs lack.
5th pick is Tucker, just need someone to counter Marchand when the Leafs plays the Bruins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad