You are the owner of your favorite team...

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm a big fan of only retiring the very special numbers, and having a "team hall of fame" for the other players:
Howell
Bathgate
Giacomin
Gilbert
Leetch
Messier
Richter

Then, for the Rangers HOF, I would have guys like Ratelle, Park, Graves, Greschner, etc.

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Montreal probably needs a separate building just for the banners, but here's two more to consider:

Tom Johnson should probably get some Montreal consideration too.

Six cups, a Norris, Hall of Fame, etc.

During the 1960's when Montreal won 4 Stanley Cups, only Jean Beliveau (240 goals) scored more times than Bobby Rousseau (200 goals.)

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Certainly in the pantheon of the greatest & possibly best ever, Roy ranks right up there, and I further understand that in the dressing room, he was a tremendous guy, well liked, respected, a leader... still, I cant get over his outburst behind the bench, the public display of disrespect & the ignominious manner in which he left Montreal. Im just not that forgiving. I wouldnt even honor him...

As for Frank?. Is it necessary to continue twisting the knife? In perpetuity no less?. :baghead:

Well, in Roy's defense, both parties seem to have overcome this event. Moreover, it's not like Roy was in a feud with Sam Pollock. The tension was with the worst management the team has ever had, and an egocentric coach as well. I think both side were at fault but in the end, as you said he was well liked, well respected, a great leader, and won the Habs their last 2 cups. He since stated he regretted the way he left.

I agree honoring Frank may be over the top. Probably a personal bias since I think his tenure here gets understated.

Montreal probably needs a separate building just for the banners, but here's two more to consider:

Tom Johnson should probably get some Montreal consideration too.

Six cups, a Norris, Hall of Fame, etc.

During the 1960's when Montreal won 4 Stanley Cups, only Jean Beliveau (240 goals) scored more times than Bobby Rousseau (200 goals.)

I would honor Reardon before Johnson, as good as he was. I'll put him in over Mahovlich. As for Rousseau, honoring him would open the door to Provost, Mantha, Backstrom, Chelios which I see more as cases of Team all of fame than honored numbers.

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
For the Penguins I'd do:
10 Ron Francis
68 Jaromir Jagr
35 Tom Barrasso
87 Sidney Crosby
71 Konstatin Koltsov :sarcasm:71 would obviously be for Malkin if he stays healthy and keeps up his current level of play.

Penguins aren't too keen on retiring numbers however, so none of this will probably ever happen.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I would keep all the current ones...
Bobby Hull
Stan Mikita
Glen Hall
Tony Esposito
Denis Savard
Pierre Pilote
Keith Magnusson

I would add...
Chris Chelios (might wait and see what happens with Seabrook and do a double-retirement)
Earl Seibert
Charlie Gardner

Partly agree tho I would drop Magnusson and also add Doug & Max Bentley, Bill Mosienko and Ed Litzenberger.

Peter9

Apr 1, 2008
Los Angeles, USA
Considering the massive history of the Montreal Canadiens, I would probably bring up a mixed system by having retired and honoured numbers.

Retired numbers (traditional red banner)

1 - Jacques Plante
2 - Doug Harvey
4 - Jean Beliveau
7 - Howie Morenz
9 - Maurice Richard
10 - Guy Lafleur
16 - Henri Richard
33 - Patrick Roy

Honoured numbers in circulation (smaller banner of away jersey colors)

1 - Georges Vezina
1 - George Hainsworth
1 - Bill Durnan
2 - Jacques Laperriere
3 - Emile Bouchard
3 - Jean-Claude Tremblay
4 - Newsy Lalonde
4 - Aurel Joliat
5 - Bernard Geoffrion
5 - Guy Lapointe
6 - Toe Blake
11- Saku Koivu
12 - Dickie Moore
12 - Yvan Cournoyer
16 - Elmer Lach
17 - Ken Reardon
18 - Serge Savard
19 - Larry Robinson
21 - Guy Carbonneau
22 - Steve Shutt
23 - Bob Gainey
25 - Jacques Lemaire

I would put Ken Dryden in the second list. His career was fairly short, but so were Bill Durnan's and Ken Reardon's. I'd also find a place in that list for Claude Provost and Ralph Backstrom. Both of them played so long and so well for the Canadiens and sacrificed so much for the team that I think they deserve it, at least as much as many of the players you do include. I'd take account of Roy's disloyalty to the club by putting him in the second list rather than the first. I think that would piss him off more than leaving him off entirely.

Last edited:

Ogopogo*

In Edmonton, I would take down #3 and #9.

This honor should only be for the best of the best.

Putting up numbers of popular guys or good community guys just cheapens the honor. NO Ryan Smyth.

Furthermore - I would only put up Stanley Cup banners. Remove the dumb division champion type of crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Partly agree tho I would drop Magnusson and also add Doug & Max Bentley, Bill Mosienko and Ed Litzenberger.

I understand the Bentleys based in talent and Litz based on being the captain of the 61 Cup. Why Mosienko out of curiosity?

Crazy that Charlie Gardiner didn't get his number retired, but I guess they just didn't do that back then.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I understand the Bentleys based in talent and Litz based on being the captain of the 61 Cup. Why Mosienko out of curiosity?

Crazy that Charlie Gardiner didn't get his number retired, but I guess they just didn't do that back then.

Maybe Mosienko is a reach on my part & maybe there are others more deserving.

Some on these boards downgrade his career because of the war years but is it his fault that he came of age at that time.

To me Mosienko is is just one of those legendary Blackhawk players. A career Blackhawk for 13 seasons. He probably could have played 2 or 3 more but left to help start a professional team in his home town of Winnipeg. He played in 5 out of 7 available AS games. All on merit. He was selected to 2 second AS teams in an era where there was a couple of pretty good RW's around. When he retired his 258 career goals was good for #7 on the all time list. Top 10 in goals, assists & points 5 times. And last but not least the legendary 3 goals in 21 seconds.

I agree with you on Gardiner. His is such an incredible story, They should do it today. Is the ownership & fanbase so ignorant of the teams history that they can't see their way to bring this great story to the forefront.

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
RANGERS:
1 Giacomin
2 Leetch
5 Bill Cook
7 Boucher
7 Gilbert
9 Graves
11 Messier
35 Richter

Im sorry but I cant justify having Bathgate and Howell retired. The team was never competitive when they played. Why Cook was never retired I cant figure out. The guy was arguably the 2nd best rw ever until Howe and Richard arrived. He was the Captain of 2 cup winners and won 2 scoring titles. Ditto for why Boucher was never retired played for 2 cup winners and coached another.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
I would put Ken Dryden in the second list. His career was fairly short, but so were Bill Durnan's and Ken Reardon's. I'd also find a place in that list for Claude Provost and Ralph Backstrom. Both of them played so long and so well for the Canadiens and sacrificed so much for the team that I think they deserve it, at least as much as many of the players you do include. I'd take account of Roy's disloyalty to the club by putting him in the second list rather than the first. I think that would piss him off more than leaving him off entirely.

Dryden slipped my mind. He's definitely up there.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
RANGERS:
1 Giacomin
2 Leetch
5 Bill Cook
7 Boucher
7 Gilbert
9 Graves
11 Messier
35 Richter

Im sorry but I cant justify having Bathgate and Howell retired. The team was never competitive when they played.

You just failed history. Andy Bathgate was a RW who played about the same time Gordie Howe and Maurice Richard did; he still managed to get first-team and second-team selections. And you think Adam Graves is better than Bathgate?

Why Cook was never retired I cant figure out. The guy was arguably the 2nd best rw ever until Howe and Richard arrived. He was the Captain of 2 cup winners and won 2 scoring titles. Ditto for why Boucher was never retired played for 2 cup winners and coached another.

So where's Brad Park? You know... the best defenseman in the world not named Bobby Orr between 1968-1978?

As for Wings retired numbers, I woud go as follows; parenthesis are for numbers I would keep "out of circulation" that are not officially retired.

1 Sawchuk
(2 Fischer)
4 Kelly
5 Lidstrom
6 Aurie
7 Lindsay
7 Sillinger
9 Howe
10 Delvecchio
12 Abel
12 Sillinger
15 Sillinger
(16 Konstantinov)
19 Yzerman
21 Sillinger
23 Sillinger
30 Osgood
91 Fedorov

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
You just failed history. Andy Bathgate was a RW who played about the same time Gordie Howe and Maurice Richard did; he still managed to get first-team and second-team selections. And you think Adam Graves is better than Bathgate?

So where's Brad Park? You know... the best defenseman in the world not named Bobby Orr between 1968-1978?

As for Wings retired numbers, I woud go as follows; parenthesis are for numbers I would keep "out of circulation" that are not officially retired.

1 Sawchuk
(2 Fischer)
4 Kelly
5 Lidstrom
6 Aurie
7 Lindsay
7 Sillinger
9 Howe
10 Delvecchio
12 Abel
12 Sillinger
15 Sillinger
(16 Konstantinov)
19 Yzerman
21 Sillinger
23 Sillinger
30 Osgood
91 Fedorov

Cook > Bathgate. Cook won 2 cups. Bathgate won none. And yes I would retire Graves over Bathgate.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
speaking of which, maybe honour mccrimmon's number around the same time as howe gets retired?

Eh, I'm not sure. If you ask someone who the best #10 on the Flyers was, 99% are going to say LeClair. Combined with the fact that Brayden Schenn has it now, I don't really see it happening. He did only play 5 seasons for the Flyers, but I'd like to see them induct him into the Flyers Hall of Fame.

metalfoot

Karlsson!
Dec 21, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
#5- Cy Denneny
#6- Frank Nighbor
#11 - Daniel Alfredsson (when he retires at the end of this year or next year)

and probably, somewhere down the road, if current trends continue...

#19 - Jason Spezza
#65 - Erik Karlsson

Last edited:

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Eh, I'm not sure. If you ask someone who the best #10 on the Flyers was, 99% are going to say LeClair. Combined with the fact that Brayden Schenn has it now, I don't really see it happening. He did only play 5 seasons for the Flyers, but I'd like to see them induct him into the Flyers Hall of Fame.

Jimmy Carson wore Delvecchio's #10 and Abel's #12 while he was in Detroit.

As for "who was the best #10 on the Flyers?" the reason a lot would say LeClair is that many wouldn't realize McCrimmon wore it (10 is unusual for a defenseman) and LeClair's success with Lindros was highly publicized because... well... it was Lindros. McCrimmon was key to the Flyers' defense and a big reason the Flyers could insert just about any goalie into their lineup and have a Vezina nominee (wins and to a lesser degree GAA were all that mattered, and in another thread it was posted how there is a significant statistical difference for the 80s Flyers with/without McCrimmon. He was a Norris contender with the Flyers and with Calgary as well. On his defense alone. IMHO, he was better than Langway, but didn't get the "MVD" exception people gave Langway. Howe/McCrimmon was the best defense pairing of the 80s because it had two of the best defensemen of the 80s, working very well together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad