You are the new Owners,

JerseyJoe

Feb 26, 2012
Some where in Jersey
How do you work a deal to pick up some stronger D?
I know I'm going to get beaten up for this....
Lubomir Visnovsky D
Josh Bailey C
Brian Strait D
Frans Nielsen C
Matt Carkner D
Thomas Hickey D
Colin McDonald RW
Who else would you put on that list to work out a deal for more D?

These are some options to pick and who would you add to this list of hopefuls?
Nick Leddy D
Dmitri Kulikov D
Alec Martinez D
Alexander Edler D
Johnny Boychuk D
Dion Phaneuf D

Last edited:

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
FYI owners don't make roster decisions (atleast not on the level your speaking of - the GM does )

As much as I'd like to see the D improved I think it stays as is unless something falls in Snows lap. I see a few pieces including bailey, Donovan or another D prospect and/or draft pick moved to get back in the 1st round next season. I think the team is improved enough to contend this year and feel any moves will wait till next summer in hopes our Dmen in our system fill those needs for us without making moves for a moderate Dman. when we have players like pullock, reinhart, pokka and Pedan right around the corner it's dumb to move pieces for a stop gap. Just because we are getting better we still need draft picks to replenish (guys won't workout or resign etc...need a plan B) I also see things clicking for TJ Brennan this year and him being here a while.

In 2-3 years I see the D looking like

Hamonic- Pullock
Reinhart - Dehaan
Hickey - Brennan (if still around)

Pedan/mayfield/pokka

Maybe the first 2 pairs being flipped...idk something like that. That would be best case scenario and would be an amazing D core If they all met there potential(big if)

Last edited:

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
FYI owners don't make roster decisions (atleast not on the level your speaking of - the GM does )

As much as I'd like to see the D improved I think it stays as is unless something falls in Snows lap. I see a few pieces including bailey, Donovan or another D prospect and/or draft pick to get back in the 1st round next season. I think the team is improved enough to contend this year and feel any moves will wait till next summer in hopes our Dmen in our system fill those needs for us without making moves for a moderate Dman when we have players like pullock, reinhart, pokka and Pedan right around the corner. I also see thing clicking for TJ Brennan this year and him being here a while.

Hamonic- Pullock
Reinhart - Pokka

Pedan/mayfield

Maybe the first 2 pairs being flipped...idk something like that. That would be best case scenario and would be an amazing D core I all met there potential(big if)

Good post and even better when you add De Haan to that core (a mind slip). I'm as excited about CDH as any of the young D. Snow was smart to go after Boyle because we don't know how many games Lubo will play. If he plays 70+ (a longshot, I know), the rest of the suddenly deeper D corp may just hold it together. But I think that '15/'16 will be the year that the D earns respect and a steady vet this year on a 1 or 2 year deal could make a difference.

Bailey, Pedan (can't keep all the young D) and a prospect if necessary would be my choice to get something substantial back.

Edit: of course you caught DeHaan on your own...looks a lot nicer. Funny to read all the dis on our D on the main boards. They have reason to for the past but not for long.

Last edited:

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL

As much as I'd like to see the D improved I think it stays as is unless something falls in Snows lap. I see a few pieces including bailey, Donovan or another D prospect and/or draft pick moved to get back in the 1st round next season. I think the team is improved enough to contend this year and feel any moves will wait till next summer in hopes our Dmen in our system fill those needs for us without making moves for a moderate Dman. when we have players like pullock, reinhart, pokka and Pedan right around the corner it's dumb to move pieces for a stop gap. Just because we are getting better we still need draft picks to replenish (guys won't workout or resign etc...need a plan B) I also see things clicking for TJ Brennan this year and him being here a while.

Hamonic- Pullock
Reinhart - Dehaan

Pedan/mayfield/pokka

Maybe the first 2 pairs being flipped...idk something like that. That would be best case scenario and would be an amazing D core If they all met there potential(big if)

No 2 RHD on the same pairing.

CDH-Hamonic
Reinhart-Pulock
Hickey-Pokka

Brennan

And of course, the 2nd pairing may overtake the 1st pairing

Reinhart and Pulock have a much higher ceiling then Hamonic. And I see CDH as an ideal #3, he isn't a shutdown defense men like Reinhart.

Pairings for next year though... Who knows, we don't have a #4 RHD because Pulock needs at least another year in the AHL. Garth needs to sign Kevin Morris to a 1 yr stop gap deal to be Reinhart's partner on the 2nd pairing for this yr.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
No 2 RHD on the same pairing.

CDH-Hamonic
Reinhart-Pulock
Hickey-Pokka

Brennan

And of course, the 2nd pairing may overtake the 1st pairing

Reinhart and Pulock have a much higher ceiling then Hamonic. And I see CDH as an ideal #3, he isn't a shutdown defense men like Reinhart.

Pairings for next year though... Who knows, we don't have a #4 RHD because Pulock needs at least another year in the AHL. Garth needs to sign Kevin Morris to a 1 yr stop gap deal to be Reinhart's partner on the 2nd pairing for this yr.
I can see Hamonic being moved for some real quality forward, with one of Pelech, Mayfield, Pedan taking his place. All are bigger, meaner, and skate as well if not better than Hammer. Hammer's development has stalled but he still can bring back a valuable trade piece with a long, cap friendly contract that he is on.
I like him as a player but I think he is replaceable and the most valuable trade chip we could have from the defensive corp.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I can see Hamonic being moved for some real quality forward, with one of Pelech, Mayfield, Pedan taking his place. All are bigger, meaner, and skate as well if not better than Hammer. Hammer's development has stalled but he still can bring back a valuable trade piece with a long, cap friendly contract that he is on.
I like him as a player but I think he is replaceable and the most valuable trade chip we could have from the defensive corp.

I disagree. Hamonic is the most valuable defense men on our team right now, and he's our only RHD on the roster.

And not to mention, we have him locked up on a very friendly deal, 3.85M per yr, 6 yrs left. He would definitely be a #2 or #4 on any other team. It wouldn't be wise to move him.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
I disagree. Hamonic is the most valuable defense men on our team right now, and he's our only RHD on the roster.

And not to mention, we have him locked up on a very friendly deal, 3.85M per yr, 6 yrs left. He would definitely be a #2 or #4 on any other team. It wouldn't be wise to move him.

Yes, Travis plays with an edge that most of our D lack. What he did to Malkin in the playoffs stuck with me. He took a step back last year by trying to do too much but when he settles in with his strengths and realizes his role around a talented D, he will be a valuable player for years (with that contract as you mentioned). He plays with the most heart after Tavares and already bleeds blue and orange. Cliché but true.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Some combo of Hamonic, de Haan, Reinhart, and Pulock/Pokka in the top four.

Hickey on the left side of the bottom pair, and who knows about the right side on the bottom pair. It could be one of Pokka/Pulock, but if Mayfield develops, his size and style would compliment Hickey well.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013

That's quite a prediction. I haven't watched them much but I find it hard to believe they can all skate better and are meaner than Hammer. Mayfield's stint with the Islanders did not show me that at all.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Some combo of Hamonic, de Haan, Reinhart, and Pulock/Pokka in the top four.

Hickey on the left side of the bottom pair, and who knows about the right side on the bottom pair. It could be one of Pokka/Pulock, but if Mayfield develops, his size and style would compliment Hickey well.

I like Hickey in the bottom pair very much.

JZCislesHockey

Jul 29, 2013
Long Island, NY
I've said it before and I'll say it again. We're going to have a glut of good defenders in a few short years. We know what we have in Hamonic and De Haan. Then we have Reinhart, Pulock, Pokka, Hickey, Donovan, Mayfield, Brennan, Pedan, Czuzcman, etc etc to fill out the D.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Yes, Travis plays with an edge that most of our D lack. What he did to Malkin in the playoffs stuck with me. He took a step back last year by trying to do too much but when he settles in with his strengths and realizes his role around a talented D, he will be a valuable player for years (with that contract as you mentioned). He plays with the most heart after Tavares and already bleeds blue and orange. Cliché but true.

I also disagree with this. He didn't take a step back, off topic a little but nor did Hickey.

I realize plus/minus is a horrible stat to use, but I am using it here.

Travis Hamonic and Thomas Hickey were the only plus defense men on the unit. The rest of them were minuses, and our defense was pitiful last year. Like P/M or not, it's still an indicator out there on the ice who is putting the puck in the net more when you are on the ice? You or the other team?

Hamonic was hurt with the concussion last year. We need him to stay healthy this year, but he definitely still has the potential to be a #2 or #4 shut down d man. It all depends on how Reinhart and Pulock develop/progress because if and I mean if they can work hard and pan out, that will be our 1st defense pairing in the future.

CDH and Hamonic would make an excellent #3 #4 combo if the kids pan out. You have balance and insane depth, because CDH and Hamonic proved they can handle a #1 and #2 spot (last yr) the pairs would be interchangeable too, good run with a top 4 consisting of:

CDH-Hamonic
Reinhart-Pulock

or

Reinhart-Pulock
CDH-Hamonic

That is a great top 4 pending on how Reinhart and Pulock develop. Reinhart is ready this year, but Pulock needs at least a 1 year in the AHL imo.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
And you keep Lubomir. Just give him very limited minutes, regulate him to the 3rd pairing with Hickey, but give him top minutes on the PP. Lubomir can still be a tremendous asset on the PP if the ******* can keep his head on and stay healthy.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
And if I am trimming the roster down it's going to look like this:

Nelson-Tavares-Okposo
Kulemin-Grabovski-Strome
Bailey-Nielsen-Grabner
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

CDH-Hamonic
Reinhart-Trade/Salo/Morris
Hickey-Visnovsky

Healthy scratches - Conacher, Donovan

Really it all depends on who is going to have a better camp... Lee, Bailey, Grabner... They are on the bubble like it or not. And you cannot trust the coaches to evaluate talent worth a crap because you just don't know with Crappy Cappy and the gang.

I still think we need to sign a RHD FA, or at least try and trade Bailey in a package deal for Odyua or Boychuk. Getting another RHD for the team would be huge. And it's not like Lee cannot be sent down, it would actually help him out getting top 6 mins in BP to let him develop instead of being stuck with a bottom 6 role. And then, hopefully Bailey has a good year then ship him at the deadline for d help.

So many possibilities and a lot of questions for Garth... One thing we all should agree on as fans though is we need d help, like now for real.

labbatt

Feb 27, 2014
First and most important thing I would do if I was the new owner, is limit what influence Wang has on the roster for the next two years. Then fire Snow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad