Yolanda Ballard R.I.P.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
He was as CRUSTY as they come man. My old man says he was really only concerned about cash receipts on game nights. and got p*ssed if not high enough. and was a cheap SOB. We moved to Kingsway when I was in junior and he lived close by us. and my sister always said he turned all his lights off on Halloween every single year. I have never heard a good thing about him except from Stellick who said he had a kind heart but it was real deep down there to find it.

When my father passed last year, I went through all of his hockey stuff (which is a lot). There are several letters exchanged between him and Ballard. Basically Dad expressing his frustration at his management of the Leafs and his treatment of his players. If I find time sometime I will post them.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
When my father passed last year, I went through all of his hockey stuff (which is a lot). There are several letters exchanged between him and Ballard. Basically Dad expressing his frustration at his management of the Leafs and his treatment of his players. If I find time sometime I will post them.

You mean Ballard actually responded? I'm torn, on one hand I'd rather forget Ballard ever existed but it would be hard for me to say no to reading these letters.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That would be great. My dad had 2 golds at old Gardens for years and met Mr Ballard at hot Stove over a few beers which my dad ended up buying for that table with Paul Henderson his friend. Ballard got up and left and did not even offer to pick up his share. Generally a boss would typically pick up a tab for his employee and season ticket holder you would think.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You mean Ballard actually responded? I'm torn, on one hand I'd rather forget Ballard ever existed but it would be hard for me to say no to reading these letters.

I can't remember exactly but I think he got 3 responses from him? Also got one from Darryl Sittler, Punch Imlach, King Clancy and a few others.

I started a thread sometime back about all the stuff Dad had and promised when I can find time I will post a bunch of it here. Almost zero time until fall though. Some really fascinating stuff. He was like the internet before it existed. Actually the Hockey Hall of Fame wants some of it.

As examples, he has every official NHL schedule from 1953 onward. He kept stats of every Leaf game from the 50's onward recording game stats, line combos, complete post game reviews etc. Not just Leaf games but international tournaments etc. He has hand written scouting reports and opinions on players he would like drafted back to I think the 70's. Tons of autographs we collected or pucks we caught (with the name of who fired it on them), old ticket stubs, programs etc. It's a treasure trove. That's without even getting into the hockey cards, beehive photos, newspaper clippings etc.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I can't remember exactly but I think he got 3 responses from him? Also got one from Darryl Sittler, Punch Imlach, King Clancy and a few others.

I started a thread sometime back about all the stuff Dad had and promised when I can find time I will post a bunch of it here. Almost zero time until fall though. Some really fascinating stuff. He was like the internet before it existed. Actually the Hockey Hall of Fame wants some of it.

As examples, he has every official NHL schedule from 1953 onward. He kept stats of every Leaf game from the 50's onward recording game stats, line combos, complete post game reviews etc. Not just Leaf games but international tournaments etc. He has hand written scouting reports and opinions on players he would like drafted back to I think the 70's. Tons of autographs we collected or pucks we caught (with the name of who fired it on them), old ticket stubs, programs etc. It's a treasure trove. That's without even getting into the hockey cards, beehive photos, newspaper clippings etc.

Amazing!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad