Post-Game Talk: Yikes. Pens struggle against a formidable Detroit Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
This is such a Jekyll and Hyde team that I am glad I watch the games on the next day so I can fast-forward most of the game when the Pens decide to not show up. Which happens frustratingly often especially in away games especially. We are missing Cole, sure, but him being around wouldn't make his teammates decide to actually play defence more often than every other game.
But I don't think it's the same as 2010. The 2010 team didn't have a single come-back when losing at the start of the 3rd period in the regular season, IIRC. This team with all its flaws, it's perfectly capable of making huge come backs. The problem is that it's also perfectly capable of digging themselves in huge holes.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I did indicate on my initial post that this would be a next year thing

Fair statement that Kessel is gliding (or injured). I knew little about Brassard and perhaps I overestimated his offensive game and underestimated his defensive game. So my expectations perhaps need adjusted, but I thought it'd be better than HBK

Apologies for missing that. I was originally responding MrBurgundy wanting to do that this year.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
If Phil’s hurt, he should be playing with 71. He won’t be able to carry a line.

Brassard with some combo of PH, Sheary, Guentzel and Rust works for me. He can create his own offense.
If he's hurt, he should be sitting and resting until the playoffs start. Like this whole "iron-man" thing has gone to far in his own head if he's playing injured.

No one gives a shit that Doug Jarvis is the current record-holder for consecutive games. Ultimately, it's the answer to a trivia question, not something that one should put ahead of their own teams' success.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
What some of you are saying makes zero sense. Rutherford wanted to upgrade the d so he did everything he could to move the best true defensive defensemen out of the organization? That is exactly what he and Sullivan did. First he signs 2 left d for over 4 million each ( Maata and Dumo ). Then he signs Hunwick to a cheapie contract like Cole is getting for three yearsWhat the heck was that about? Then he trades for Oleksiak. All of this while sitting Cole for many games. The moves just don't seem to make sense. Now I realize that prior mistakes in spending contributed to not being able to sign Cole but paying Hunwick 2.25 million for three years? You can't find another 1 .7 million from someplace so you can lock Cole up? What did he think Cole was going to cost 5 million bucks? Trading Dumo ( if any team wanted him) would have been the better option as I think Rutherford could have got Cole for 4 years a 4 million. BTW did any of you know that Cole is 116th all time in plus minus for defensemen? In only 400 games. It will take Dumo 25 years to get to that number.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
What some of you are saying makes zero sense. Rutherford wanted to upgrade the d so he did everything he could to move the best true defensive defensemen out of the organization? That is exactly what he and Sullivan did. First he signs 2 left d for over 4 million each ( Maata and Dumo ). Then he signs Hunwick to a cheapie contract like Cole is getting for three yearsWhat the heck was that about? Then he trades for Oleksiak. All of this while sitting Cole for many games. The moves just don't seem to make sense. Now I realize that prior mistakes in spending contributed to not being able to sign Cole but paying Hunwick 2.25 million for three years? You can't find another 1 .7 million from someplace so you can lock Cole up? What did he think Cole was going to cost 5 million bucks? Trading Dumo ( if any team wanted him) would have been the better option as I think Rutherford could have got Cole for 4 years a 4 million. BTW did any of you know that Cole is 116th all time in plus minus for defensemen? In only 400 games. It will take Dumo 25 years to get to that number.

Lol. You are so out of left field with this Cole v Dumo thing i have no idea why I'm responding. Hunwick signing was a mistake and Cole was moved as a result of needing to open up cap space for Brassard. After moving Cole, which was a necessity if no one would take Hunwick, JR tried to bring back D depth but couldn't do it for whatever reason. I'm annoyed that Cole had to be moved, but signing that guy a long term deal at 4MM would be stupid.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Lol. You are so out of left field with this Cole v Dumo thing i have no idea why I'm responding. Hunwick signing was a mistake and Cole was moved as a result of needing to open up cap space for Brassard. After moving Cole, which was a necessity if no one would take Hunwick, JR tried to bring back D depth but couldn't do it for whatever reason. I'm annoyed that Cole had to be moved, but signing that guy a long term deal at 4MM would be stupid.

I mean, Ian Cole is 116th in plus minus. All time.

Lock it up.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Cole gets worse results than Dumo playing against far worse players in less minutes. Cole is a very nice number 5 who looks bad frequently if he has to play above that. Pretty sure he was last in ice time among Dmen in the playoffs last year while Dumo was on the first pairing.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
It's not Cullen's fault, it's whomever's fault that thought anyone's word or "I need some time" meant anything. Unless you get **** in writing, it means nothing. That goes for everything.

Btw, Cullen chose wisely. His team is playoff bound, while his ex team can't even sort their own **** out with roster that is most GMs' wet dream.

The Wild are actually only FOUR points ahead of the the cutoff, putting them in a worse position than the Penguins.

FOUR.

I know what happened too, which just confirms my theory about posters like you and your purpose in even showing up here. You checked the standings, saw the Wild in 3rd place in their division, and couldn't be bothered to scroll down 2 f***ing inches to find out the Avs are way closer to the Wild than the Panthers are to the Pens. I won't even add to that the fact that the Pens actually have one more win than the Wild do.

You're so determined, so quick to beclown yourself with your frothing indignation that you didn't bother checking a simple fact that's easily verifiable.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Look Cole would have been a better guy to keep around than Dumolin. All the minutes he gets is killing the team. Laughing at plus minus is dumb too. It is directly related goal differential which is what wins games or loses games. Maata has improved this year but Dumo is not even a average defensemen yet the coach treats him like a frigging all star. Letang oh boy I'm glad I'm not paying him. If the Pens don't repeat it won't be the curse of Ian Cole but the foolishness of Sullivan and Rutherford.

LOL

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
You're including Ian Cole, IAN FREAKING COLE, in a conversation with Erik Karlsson and Drew Doughty?

My god, some of you people have a bizarrely distorted opinion on Ian Cole.
I thought it was obvious, but I guess I should have included the sarcasm emoji

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Dumo will go down as one of the most underrated d-men this franchise has ever had. The guy is a Godsend while having to babysit someone who makes almost twice the amount he does.
Dumo is a good defensemen, although I think his overall play this season has dropped off a bit. Particularly as it pertains to his positioning. Of course having Letang as your partner doesn't help matters.

That said, it doesn't mean a guy like Cole isn't important. And that's the part that some people just don't get. Not every players skill set or abilities are the same. And when you have someone who's apt at killing penalties, blocking shots and able to physically man someone off the puck, It's hard to just lose that player and not have an ample replacement waiting in the wings.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Cole gets worse results than Dumo playing against far worse players in less minutes. Cole is a very nice number 5 who looks bad frequently if he has to play above that. Pretty sure he was last in ice time among Dmen in the playoffs last year while Dumo was on the first pairing.
Dumo is the better player, but we have more guys similar to Dumo than we do a guy like Cole. It's not just about talent, it's about having the right mix. And I'm not advocating we should have moved Dumo. I'm just suggesting it's better to have a more diverse skill set among your rearguards. Currently we're limited in that regard.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Dumoulin has been one of the Penguins' best defenders in the post season nearly every year he's been on the roster. I get the concern over his play this year (something certainly not limited to him on this defense) but he absolutely gets the benefit of the doubt from me, for now.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That's the reason we were able to survive last post season without Letang. We had Shultz and Daley. Shultz could QB the PP in Letang's absence, he could join the rush, he could make a good first pass etc. He's not exactly the same but he's similar enough that we were able to get by.

TBH I think Shultz played better without Letang being in the line up.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Dumoulin has been one of the Penguins' best defenders in the post season nearly every year he's been on the roster. I get the concern over his play this year (something certainly not limited to him on this defense) but he absolutely gets the benefit of the doubt from me, for now.

We have too many defenders like Dumoulin on the roster.

/goes on rant about how Ian Cole is what we are missing a defensive, PKing D with outlet abilities. Doesn’t realize they are talking about Dumoulin is the greatest irony.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
That's the reason we were able to survive last post season without Letang. We had Shultz and Daley. Shultz could QB the PP in Letang's absence, he could join the rush, he could make a good first pass etc. He's not exactly the same but he's similar enough that we were able to get by.

TBH I think Shultz played better without Letang being in the line up.

I also think we miss Cole much more so than any of us, including the coaches, are willing to admit.

Reactions: Ryder71

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I also think we miss Cole much more so than any of us, including the coaches, are willing to admit.

Cole had been scratched a lot of games this year, the Pens weren’t sunk every time he was out

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Cole had been scratched a lot of games this year, the Pens weren’t sunk every time he was out

True but two things:

1. A lot of it may have been due to him drawing the ire of Sullivan.

2. Hunwick was playing a passable game.

Now that Hunwick is basically dead to rights and Cole was always a good consistent dman for us, I saw we miss him.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I thought it was obvious, but I guess I should have included the sarcasm emoji

Ok, good. Well, you can't blame me for my thoughts on your post. There are people that are acting like losing Ian Cole is the worst thing to ever happen to this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad