Yes. We have Bozak now.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
No, like NHL hockey fun. Like watching Kessel play give and go with a guy who can really dish, and also score goals. Surely you dont think Bozak is as effective as Ribeiro in a top line capacity...Ribeiro would notch as many assists alongside Kessel as Bozak is responsible for total points. Where he plays in AZ is irrelevant to what role he'd have assumed in Toronto. A capable 1C who makes Kessel a perennial 40+ goal threat is certainly worth an extra 1.3, especially given the fact that he'd also add more total points than Bozak.

I would submit to you that the quality of the passes Ribeiro makes VS Bozak is also considerably higher.

#1. Riberio would have never signed here, making this discussion completely moot.

#2. You are willing to give up chemistry, friendship, hardworker for a guy who can make a better toe drag and has softer hands but is also known as soft and a diver? Okay, hmmmm.

It's sad that Leaf fans would want a player and his lack of drive like Riberio on their team. Leave those players to play in non hockey markets or alongside in MTL.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
We need someone to play with Kessel and management decided that Grabovski wasn't that guy. Bozak is easily a better option than any UFA's this offseason. I'm not thrilled with his contract but he will make a good 3C assuming we can find someone to be our #1.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He's not a good #1 C, but at $4.2 mil per year for 5 years as a UFA he's not being paid like a #1 C, so that's fine. He's good enough to hold down the #1 spot for now, and when we get a better option (either trading for a #1, or having Kadri mature into that role), Bozak can be a good #2 or #3 C for us. He plays a solid 2 way game, makes smart plays, wins faceoffs, and has good chemistry with Kessel, I'm glad to have him on the team. He's a true centre, good at all the "little things" centres are supposed to be good at, even if his offensive game is not 1st line quality. I also think he has the upside to improve more, since he's been improving rapidly every season so far. He was MILES better last year than he was in 2010-11, so it's not crazy to think that he could continue to get better.

Avec Fromage*

#1. Riberio would have never signed here, making this discussion completely moot.

#2. You are willing to give up chemistry, friendship, hardworker for a guy who can make a better toe drag and has softer hands but is also known as soft and a diver? Okay, hmmmm.

It's sad that Leaf fans would want a player and his lack of drive like Riberio on their team. Leave those players to play in non hockey markets or alongside in MTL.

Do you think Phoenix was Ribeiro's top choice?

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Bozak is a better player than he's shown IMO. Ironically his issue is Kessel. He looks for Kessel to a fault so much so he forgets about the other 4 on the ice in result becomes predictable in his efforts.

He needs to start to believe in himself more cause he does have the skills, speed and smarts to make things happen himself with a little more gumption.

He reminds me of an ex Bruin/Blues player Craig Janney

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
How many Bozak fans would change their tune if Kessel doesn't sign long term with us?

I love Bozak, big fan of his and I called the Grabo buy out/Bozak signing long before it happened...but if his signing doesn't lead to Kess wanting to play here and signing a long term deal then Bozak means nothing to the Leafs...

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
How many Bozak fans would change their tune if Kessel doesn't sign long term with us?

I love Bozak, big fan of his and I called the Grabo buy out/Bozak signing long before it happened...but if his signing doesn't lead to Kess wanting to play here and signing a long term deal then Bozak means nothing to the Leafs...

Having Kessel as "the guy" in our top 6 makes for having a "true" #1 center not realistic based on fitting under the cap.

If Kessel were to leave, we wouldn't have that star in our top 6 anymore and would need to look to fill that #1 winger or centerman spot.

The reason why Bozak is great for the team is his ability to help the top line produce and kill penalties and playing late into the game.

Durkin67

You're speaking like you have some inside knowledge here. Where is that coming from?

I'm willing to forego friendship for a player that maximizes the sizeable investment made in the teams top asset.

Your synopsis of Ribeiro's character is amiss. Concerns such as the ones you mention were laid to rest long ago.

ForSpareParts*

You're speaking like you have some inside knowledge here. Where is that coming from?

I'm willing to forego friendship for a player that maximizes the sizeable investment made in the teams top asset.

Your synopsis of Ribeiro's character is amiss. Concerns such as the ones you mention were laid to rest long ago.

We're all speculating here. Sometimes opinions are put out there too.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Having Kessel as "the guy" in our top 6 makes for having a "true" #1 center not realistic based on fitting under the cap.

If Kessel were to leave, we wouldn't have that star in our top 6 anymore and would need to look to fill that #1 winger or centerman spot.

The reason why Bozak is great for the team is his ability to help the top line produce and kill penalties and playing late into the game.

What are you implying by this? That a #1 winger and #1 center can't be on the same team? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

ForSpareParts*

I'll still like Bozak if he remains a leaf.

If you believe that they are a package deal (attached to the hip?) and that Kessel might go, then maybe his next team will trade for Bozak. Either way we have to change our direction. We might end up with a lot of cap room.

The sun will come up. I promise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad