GDT: Yeehaw!! Game 75 Sharks vs. Stars 26/3

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
I mean it

I don't wanna see another power play until the playoffs start.

Top PP line - 30 million that just melts when the pressure is on.

But they'll pile up when they don't really need the goals.

It's nice of the Sharks to lower our expectations if they make the playoffs.

Core is still completely intact, we should know better. :sarcasm: (wish the sarcasm wasn't halfhearted)

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
It's more like people just looking for excuses to crap on Marleau and make excuses for others.

There's no doubt Marleau gets too much **** on a lot of occasions, but he also hasn't done anything positive for a while to shut those people up. I mean the guy has 8 Es points in the last 52 games. That's like 4th liner territory. He's been doing fine on possession lately, but you know very well most of the people who talk **** about Marleau don't put much faith in advanced stats.

Marleau has been atrocious offensively this year, some of it his fault, some of it his linemates fault, and some bad luck, but he is undeniably having a hard time lately offensively. It's only natural people will harp on his mistakes when he isn't offsetting those mistakes with other great plays, and points.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
This was a loss on Martin Jones. The first goal scored on him was too soft, and the second goal was reminiscence of Stalock... no excuse to move yourself that far out of the net without the puck. Poor choice. Score should have been 2 to 1, and more if the PP was not so pathetic.

For the Marleau discussion above, he's not done much lately, but I suspect either has Couture. Those two need to step it up as they are capable of much more.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
This was a loss on Martin Jones. The first goal scored on him was too soft, and the second goal was reminiscence of Stalock... no excuse to move yourself that far out of the net without the puck. Poor choice. Score should have been 2 to 1, and more if the PP was not so pathetic.

For the Marleau discussion above, he's not done much lately, but I suspect either has Couture. Those two need to step it up as they are capable of much more.

First goal was a tip. He was in position to make the save against Benn but not for the tip by Janmark.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA

1st goal was not soft. Maybe you missed the tip that changed the direction of the shot ~10 feet in front of him.

2nd goal he played too aggressively, but that pass should never get back through the crease and FOUR of our guys. Burns was putrid on that goal, he completely went to sleep.

The bad goaltending took place in the 3rd, and was the only reason the score looked somewhat respectable at the end.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
1st goal was not soft. Maybe you missed the tip that changed the direction of the shot ~10 feet in front of him.

2nd goal he played too aggressively, but that pass should never get back through the crease and FOUR of our guys. Burns was putrid on that goal, he completely went to sleep.

The bad goaltending took place in the 3rd, and was the only reason the score looked somewhat respectable at the end.

Yeah, it was soft although tipped. Janmark was in the slot outside of the face-off, probably about 15 feet from the goal, and the tipped did not change the direction much but down. Jones was never set for either the first shot or the tip.

My seats are in the corner off to Jone's right. It was clear to those of us sitting on that side that Jones knew it as well. It was on Jones as he laid an egg with a .813SV%. Swirl your pompoms for Jones, but that will not change the fact his performance should have been much better.

That 2nd goal was more on Hertl and Tierney then Burns as you state. just coasting getting back when the Stars already had puck possession. That allowed Spezza to sneak a rush on the off side. Hertl and Tierney cannot be doing that in this late of the season heading into the playoffs. But none of that would have happened if Jones stayed were he was suppose to.

The secret to winning is letting the other team make the mistakes. It should have been Jone's mistakes =0, Niemi mistakes = 1.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I didn't like Jones on goal 2

It looked like something Stalock does. Not sure why he threw himself out of the crease for.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I didn't like Jones on goal 2

It looked like something Stalock does. Not sure why he threw himself out of the crease for.

He's done it a couple times this season but I also don't really think goalies play that kind of play that well usually. It's a lot of uncontested lateral movement for Spezza and he had all the time in the world to do whatever the hell he wanted.

Thepainter

Feb 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
Marleau consistently makes the easiest play available to him. He is soft, especially when skating with the puck along the boards. He would much rather dump a puck than try to make a play and it kills any momentum. The perfect word to describe his style of play is exactly how JR described him: gutless.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Marleau consistently makes the easiest play available to him. He is soft, especially when skating with the puck along the boards. He would much rather dump a puck than try to make a play and it kills any momentum. The perfect word to describe his style of play is exactly how JR described him: gutless.

That's an unfair way to characterize Marleau. For some time now, Marleau has been slipping mentally...the physical tools, surprisingly, have maintained, but his positioning, his puck-handling, and his decision-making is worse. In a way, his decline reminds me of Boyle's decline.

I mean...sure, I've criticized Marleau for failing to drive the net, for not adapting his game, for being too conservative, and for gripping his stick in clutch situations. But that has never stopped him from putting 30+ goals and 60+ points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad