Year of Howe Picture?

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
Hey there, I'm not sure if this belongs here but I figured the History of Hockey forum made the most sense for something like this. I have a picture of Gordie Howe that was signed for me when I was very young (my family has ties to the Howe family) and I've always wondered when exactly the picture was taken. I read that Howe went to a NY Rangers training camp at age 15, but it looks like he is a bit older in the picture. Being that he's wearing #16 and the jersey is more of a practise shirt I thought that maybe it was from his early days in Detroit. Regardless, its something that has always bugged me and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on it. Thanks!

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Dude looks baked

... :biglaugh: ya, absolutely fricassee'd. Maybe he thought he was headed to a basketball game, hence the giggles?

I do know that he wore #12 in Omaha and before #9 in Detroit he wore #17. Its possible thats simply a practice jersey used for color only, the number meaningless, or, it could be from his pre-Omaha days. I've read Gordie "grow'd up" real fast, shoppin in the Menswear Department at like 10yrs of age.

Canadarocks

Sep 16, 2005
The book A Century of Hockey by Hockey News has that picture on the 1946-1947 page when it talks about the rookie Howe. That's probably when it was taken but I don't have the book with me so I don't know if it has credits or anything. Hockey News may have some information if you contact them.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
The book A Century of Hockey by Hockey News has that picture on the 1946-1947 page when it talks about the rookie Howe. That's probably when it was taken but I don't have the book with me so I don't know if it has credits or anything. Hockey News may have some information if you contact them.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find the book somewhere (I may even have it kicking around the house if I look hard enough). And he does look a little under the influence :laugh:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
And he does look a little under the influence :laugh:

Ya, as does Steve Tambellini in yer avy there grinder. You seem to gravitate to shots that like that huh? I sometimes wonder what people are "on" as well.... hey ho. But seriously, Id imagine those basketball boxer style t-shirts were simply used for practices by Detroit. Wife Beater Dress Shirts with a random number on em. Savvy? ;)

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
Ya, as does Steve Tambellini in yer avy there grinder. You seem to gravitate to shots that like that huh? I sometimes wonder what people are "on" as well.... hey ho. But seriously, Id imagine those basketball boxer style t-shirts were simply used for practices by Detroit. Wife Beater Dress Shirts with a random number on em. Savvy? ;)

Baseball uniforms from that era were similar.

http://polishsportshof.com/inductees/baseball/ted-kluszewski/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad