Year 1.5 into the rebuild, smashing success so far?

Keep it going?

• Yes

Votes: 70 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.1%

• Total voters

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Man, I don’t know if THIS particular tear down was “the easy part.” Half of our contracts seemed entirely untradeable and the ones that were had poison pills attached (10 million QO! Super long deal! etc). Obviously we got VERY lucky (and thank Quinn too) that Karlsson had an insane year and suddenly became an asset, but 2 years ago I remember looking at our contract and just thinking… how the hell do they get out of this…
I will forever be grateful for EK playing out of his mind. I hope he wins somewhere…just don’t know where unless the Pens bounce back hard. I do think Dubas isn’t going to throw in the towel, so they will attempt to be competitive again.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I will forever be grateful for EK playing out of his mind. I hope he wins somewhere…just don’t know where unless the Pens bounce back hard. I do think Dubas isn’t going to throw in the towel, so they will attempt to be competitive again.

I won’t put it past Crosby and Karlsson to put in a crazy final run but they desperately need help.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
EK played out of his mind to benefit EK, no other reason.

The only way he will win anywhere is if he latches on to a contender as a third pairing defenseman in his final years. Playing this guy 25+ minutes a night is a death sentence for any team.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
I mean. We can't judge but the way thigns are going, we might actually see the end of the tunnel sooner rather than later

Smith, Musty, Cagnoni, Bystedt, Eklund, Edstrom, Mukhamadulin is already a good group.
And with this year's first Celebrini is a possibility. ANd if we miss? Levshunov or Buuim instantly become our best Defense prospect with huge upside. I'm miserable a lot of the time but thinking about this makes me pretty stoked.

OH! We also got the Pens pick so that's still 13th-14th overall. Great stuff

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
EK played out of his mind to benefit EK, no other reason.

The only way he will win anywhere is if he latches on to a contender as a third pairing defenseman in his final years. Playing this guy 25+ minutes a night is a death sentence for any team.
Fine. And the consequences of his selfishness got us a decent return. What’s your point? I can’t wish him well because…why

If your boss pretended to be a good boss just so he could get a promotion, and you reap the benefits of his behavior, do you complain?

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
He still hasn't gotten rid of Couture yet. Couture can bump us from 1st overall pick to 4th overall pick next year. Hagens looks to be even better than Celebrini.

We'll see if our scouting and Grier's evaluation of prospects will be able to turn those draft picks to some real talents. So far so good, but it's still early with many more 1st rounders to pick.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I’d say cap management you’d be lying to yourself not to give Grier an A+, trade returns however and UFA signings are a combined C-, prospect/drafting as of right now on the surface is a pretty solid B but it’s way to early to rate it.

Also straightening out the goaltending coaching/consulting by bringing in Speer and more importantly Miller has been a great move

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Those who think he could've gotten better trade returns, what makes you think that?

Meier trade return looks amazing.

Karlsson trade; PIT was the only team rumoured to be interested...so how can we do better if there is no bidding war, and he's making 11.5M.

Hertl trade: It wasn't even rumoured he was available to trade, so as far as we know VGK was the only team interested. Again, we never see people with that much term traded, so what else could we have gotten?

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Hertl trade: It wasn't even rumoured he was available to trade, so as far as we know VGK was the only team interested. Again, we never see people with that much term traded, so what else could we have gotten?
Hertl, a person with multiple knee injuries, has a current knee injury, is signed for 8 more yeas, is 30. The fact that he was moved at all is shocking.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
There's no fail/success ratio until the players the team got actually lead them to something. Buffalo tanked a ton and still can't make the playoffs. Ottawa tanked a ton and still can't make the playoffs. Anaheim tanked a ton and look worse than ever.

I think he should have gotten McDavid in return from Hertl. What I want has no effect on the NHL trade market.
I think a retention spot for 6 years is worth a lot more than a late first prospect IMO.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
There's no fail/success ratio until the players the team got actually lead them to something. Buffalo tanked a ton and still can't make the playoffs. Ottawa tanked a ton and still can't make the playoffs. Anaheim tanked a ton and look worse than ever.

I think a retention spot for 6 years is worth a lot more than a late first prospect IMO.

There is no success, there is only Zuul.

I think what many of us are saying is thus far, he’s done everything he can to get this team on track for a solid rebuild. Of course many things can go wrong and he can still end up being bad at team building (my fear for example is an auto correction to big, stony-handed grinders) but up til now, I’m thrilled with his moves.

• Haha
Reactions: TheBigDrunkPanda

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
There is no success, there is only Zuul.

I think what many of us are saying is thus far, he’s done everything he can to get this team on track for a solid rebuild. Of course many things can go wrong and he can still end up being bad at team building (my fear for example is an auto correction to big, stony-handed grinders) but up til now, I’m thrilled with his moves.
I like everything he's done except the Hertl deal.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
He still hasn't gotten rid of Couture yet. Couture can bump us from 1st overall pick to 4th overall pick next year. Hagens looks to be even better than Celebrini.

We'll see if our scouting and Grier's evaluation of prospects will be able to turn those draft picks to some real talents. So far so good, but it's still early with many more 1st rounders to pick.
Can he even get up out of bed to play? Osteitis Pubis is pretty serious and he missed an entire year save for 6 games where he looked pretty trash

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
way to early to call any success. Losing is the one thing any team can do, coming back is where a GM can actually be evaluated
Previous regime seemed to have a hard time with it considering they were trading picks for short term upgrades and extending old players until the bitter end.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The proper treatment of Logan Couture: Thanks for putting your body on the line and giving us ten years plus of great hockey

Sharks fans during this time: Logan may be too crippled to ever play again? Sweet! What luck!

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009

Curious where this is coming from? I haven't heard all that much on Hagens yet other than he is the current favourite to be the 2025 1OA.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad