Prospect Info: Yaroslav Askarov, #11 Overall Pick

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I'm pretty sure it was the plan all along to bring Askarov over next year I just hope he has the opportunity to leave the country. Its gonna get a lot worse over there before it gets better.

Yes, all the quotes I can find are from October of 2020 saying "a couple of seasons..." and the fact that his KHL contract ended this season. And it's not a moment too soon after the revelation that the Russian coaches were not playing him and not really developing him because he isn't committed to the KHL long-term.

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Yes, all the quotes I can find are from October of 2020 saying "a couple of seasons..." and the fact that his KHL contract ended this season. And it's not a moment too soon after the revelation that the Russian coaches were not playing him and not really developing him because he isn't committed to the KHL long-term.
Any chance we can go ahead and bring him over now?(or whenever the KHL season ends) and let him practice with the team like some of the college players do?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The complication is more likely due to family/personal beliefs than any actual logistics/restrictions.

A lot of people in Russia support the war and a growing sense of Russian nationalism? And some of the remaining who don't might not want to leave family behind?
:dunno:
He's prime conscription age. His family will probably be telling him to get out of the country.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Best case for Askarov is to sign this weekend, start travel from Russia to the US via whatever routes are available, then sign an ATO and practice / play with the Ads during the post season ... ready for camp and year one of his ELC in the fall.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Yeah there is zero chance that Askarov can sign, clear customs, arrive and jump right into NHL playoff hockey. If he can play with the Ads without burning his ELC that would be ideal if Ingram is going to be up here for the rest of the season. I'll just be relieved if hes allowed to leave Russia and can find a way to get here. I'm guessing hed either have to fly to China or Iran, unless India is still allowing Russian flights

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Yeah there is zero chance that Askarov can sign, clear customs, arrive and jump right into NHL playoff hockey. If he can play with the Ads without burning his ELC that would be ideal if Ingram is going to be up here for the rest of the season. I'll just be relieved if hes allowed to leave Russia and can find a way to get here. I'm guessing hed either have to fly to China or Iran, unless India is still allowing Russian flights
There are plenty of non-EU options for connection and transfer points. Moscow to Istanbul to western Europe to USA.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
There are plenty of non-EU options for connection and transfer points. Moscow to Istanbul to western Europe to USA.
I thought Turkey had shut them down too but if that's an option then as long as hes allowed to leave the country he should get here, but regardless throwing him into the NHL would be silly and possibly disastrous

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
So people are seriously thinking about bringing over a 20 year old goalie that has never played in the NHL, into a playoff series vs either Colorado or Calgary.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I know people think about a Bennington situation, but he had half the season to adjust. There is a big difference in 40 games and 2. It just wouldn't be smart for him or us imo.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
We're tracking a mysterious charter flight from Finland to BNA. Rumor has it, Pekka has unretired, signed, and will play tomorrow in Colorado. 369 wins was always a frustratingly odd number of wins to end on so he's going for 370 and beyond.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Apparently they expect him by Friday night, so I'd guess he's either on the way or already here.

That's great news.

There's been some rumors here in Finland that new Russian players have had trouble getting their work Visas to the States, and old players have had even some trouble renewing their old Visas. Some players are even staying in NA the whole summer, just so they are able to keep their Visa and play next year.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
I'm guessing that signing him to a "try out contract" instead of his ELC has some sort of advantage?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad