Confirmed with Link: Yannick Weber signed to 1 year deal

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Happy to see he is sticking around for another year. Fits our system well and we need a 3rd pairing guy like him to hold down the fort for that 10-12 minutes a game. He fits the bill perfectly. Also helps that he and Josi are long time childhood friends.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I realize he's a LHD but does this mean anything for Bitetto? Still has a year left so will he likely be a 7th again or do we think we'll waive him and try and upgrade the 3rd pair with another guy?

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
I realize he's a LHD but does this mean anything for Bitetto? Still has a year left so will he likely be a 7th again or do we think we'll waive him and try and upgrade the 3rd pair with another guy?

Most likely he will be the #7 again. I don't see him having any trade value and I'd expect he would clear waivers if we wanted him in Milwaukee.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Better in the regular season than in the playoffs... I hoped that the third pair could get a slight upgrade, but I guess it's not in the cards. Hopefully a second straight year in Lavy's system will help Weber-Irwin to be even better next year, or that a healthy Bitetto steps up and bumps someone down.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I believe that he finished the playoffs without having taken a single penalty. He played only 10 minutes per night and was sheltered, but that's still 22 games, so 220+ minutes of ice time, and he still found himself on the ice against good players (star players and simply good depth on good teams) quite a bit. He may not be that good, but at least he's not a liability by putting his team at a man disadvantage. Being decent and not costing your team is about all that you can ask for from your 3rd pair.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Better in the regular season than in the playoffs... I hoped that the third pair could get a slight upgrade, but I guess it's not in the cards. Hopefully a second straight year in Lavy's system will help Weber-Irwin to be even better next year, or that a healthy Bitetto steps up and bumps someone down.

I hate to say it but I felt like Irwin was the one that really was far better in the regular season and fell off a good bit in the playoffs. Weber was far more noticeable and not in a bad way when he was on the ice. He was able to skate the puck out of trouble and made good clears most of the time.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I believe that he finished the playoffs without having taken a single penalty. He played only 10 minutes per night and was sheltered, but that's still 22 games, so 220+ minutes of ice time, and he still found himself on the ice against good players (star players and simply good depth on good teams) quite a bit. He may not be that good, but at least he's not a liability by putting his team at a man disadvantage. Being decent and not costing your team is about all that you can ask for from your 3rd pair.

The bolded above is a point that I think is lost on a lot of people. They are 3rd pair defensemen for a reason. If they played great all the time, they wouldn't be on the 3rd pair. It seems to me that most of the year Weber/Irwin were pretty well praised on here for their play- until they have one bad game and then people overreact and want to throw them out.......

Having said that, because of the cheapness of this deal, I think it leaves the door open for us to still upgrade that 3rd pair if something becomes available...

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I'm not a huge Weber fan but none of our D prospects are ready yet so this deal is fine. Weber is in a round peg square hole situation. He fits Lavy's system in the sense that he can skate well and thinks the game decently offensively but he is not deployed in offensive situations and offensive players. He is a soft player. If he can't skate out of trouble he is in trouble. I would like to see an equally good skater but bigger more defensive minded guy in that spot. Someone who can play the PK and help limit hard minutes for the top 4. Weber will do in the first interim I suppose.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Fair price. But really not impressed with him. He's not a sleeper performer or anything.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
Pete Weber was on xm and mentioned this. Also ducked the question of whether Neal would be exposed. We need an upgrade on Irwin but I can abide this.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
A healthy Bitetto is gonna' get playing time, the question is which of the 3rd pair guys is gonna' lose it? If you went by reg season you'd say Weber; by the POs - especially the Pits series - you'd say Irwin. Or maybe Poile will work some magic and get VGK to take a Dman and Wilson instead of Hook! :)

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
He used to be a scorer ! like 1/3 points per game.
(They used him as a forward sometimes.)

Blue line snipper.

being young, same year than Subban (they are excellent friends by the way, in Montreal, Subban would pick up Weber with his car to go to the games) he won the fastest shot for the generation contest !!

in Lavy's system he is not shooting. But he has this in his pocket.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
He used to be a scorer ! like 1/3 points per game.
(They used him as a forward sometimes.)

Blue line snipper.

being young, same year than Subban (they are excellent friends by the way, in Montreal, Subban would pick up Weber with his car to go to the games) he won the fastest shot for the generation contest !!

in Lavy's system he is not shooting. But he has this in his pocket.

I don't know how he managed to only put up 1 goal and 7 assists in 73 games on the Pred's blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad