Signing(s): Yankees sign Neil Walker

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
Heard it will be for about $5MM. At that price they pretty much had to do it.

There won't be an easy out in their lineup this year outside of when Sanchez has to sit. Jacoby Ellsbury, Clint Frazier, Torres and Andujar are all going to be depth pieces for now and would probably start for half the teams in baseball. Absurd.

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
The Yankees scored 858 runs last season and by my count should be better at six everyday positions and they'll have a much better bench. They will probably score 900 runs, which no one has done since the 2009 Yankees. (Houston had 896 last year and I'd expect them to also clear 900).

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Nice move for the Yankees, another decent bat in that lineup. Got to think 100 wins is a very strong possibility for them.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The Yankees scored 858 runs last season and by my count should be better at six everyday positions and they'll have a much better bench.

6? That seems optimistic.

1B because Byrd should be healthier
The OF/DH spot Stanton takes for sure (massive upgrade)

Those are the only 2 I see for sure. Not convinced Walker is going to better than Castro offensively was or Drury is going to be better than Headley/Frazier at 3B offensively. Even if they are, that's 4.

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
6? That seems optimistic.

1B because Byrd should be healthier
The OF/DH spot Stanton takes for sure (massive upgrade)

Those are the only 2 I see for sure. Not convinced Walker is going to better than Castro offensively was or Drury is going to be better than Headley/Frazier at 3B offensively. Even if they are, that's 4.

Sanchez was on the DL for a month last year and Hicks missed half the season. If they're healthy, that's the six I meant.

I'd be stunned if some combination of Drury, Andujar, or Walker (with Torres going to 2B) can't outproduce Headley's 100 OPS+. I may have shortchanged Castro a bit (he was easily the most frustrating player I've ever watched), but I do think Walker's a better hitter (112 OPS+ the last three years beats Castro's 106 last year).

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
With Walker added, the Yankees roster looks even more impressive: Good rotation, even better bullpen and a very good lineup with some top-level prospects as depth options.

The one weak spot is backup catcher (presumably Austin Romine). If the season goes as planned and the Yankees indeed proceed to be a serious contender, would you swing a trade for a guy like Lucroy at the deadline?

Gruß,
BSHH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad