Confirmed with Link: Yandle's Rights to FLA for 6th + Cond. 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
So the same deal he were would have been ~6.8AAV, for 7 years. No thanks. Best of luck to Keith, seems like a really likable guy and his teammates love him. But thats an overpayment from FLA.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Good first deal in the Summer of Gorts.

Correctly gauged that Yandle would sign in FLA, and got a 4th and 6th for a guy who could talk to anyone in a week, and whose nearest comp (a day earlier) only got a 5th. Did not give a 7-year contract with an NMC to a player entering his thirties on a team that needs to reset/retool/rebuild/retrench/re-whatever-you-want-to-call-it. Did not give prime-position-player AAV to a guy his coach has identified as a luxury (i.e. a defenseman he doesn't trust for defensive zone starts). Good decision not to re-sign, good compensation achieved.

NOTE: this does NOT mean I think it's a bad deal for FLA! Two teams in two totally different places. The Cats HAVE their young core, they're mostly young, and mostly on good deals. He's a luxury they CAN afford on a team that SHOULD be going for it in the next year or two.

Let us see what else the Summer of Gorts has in store for us...

And this is why, wake up James Dolan, that we need to chuck divisive AV and get behind Gorton

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Good for Yandle.

But no thanks on that contract, especially with the way the NHL has changed over the last few years in terms of the effectiveness of older players.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I think fans sometimes look at UFA contracts way too literally and without context. Teams know the later years in these contracts may hurt them. They still sign them because they feel the risk is worth it since there are no acquisition costs involved. So now Florida has a top line Dman without trading any players, using any high draft picks, or investing any years in his development. The bad years at the end of the deal are a tradeoff. GM's know this and that is why they are willing to eat 2 bad years.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
As speed speed speed has become emphasized in today's game it seems that players decline earlier and earlier.

I think Florida will be lucky if they get 5 solid years from Yandle which is what everyone seems to be assuming will happen. Of course they can always get 6-7 solid years as well but i'm taking the under on this one.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
As speed speed speed has become emphasized in today's game it seems that players decline earlier and earlier.

I think Florida will be lucky if they get 5 solid years from Yandle which is what everyone seems to be assuming will happen. Of course they can always get 6-7 solid years as well but i'm taking the under on this one.

You make a valid point but every player is different. While most players start tailing off in their 30's there are always exceptions. I think Lidstrom won all of his Norris trophies in his 30's and 40's.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
You make a valid point but every player is different. While most players start tailing off in their 30's there are always exceptions. I think Lidstrom won all of his Norris trophies in his 30's and 40's.

Lidstrom was a generational player. Guys like that have so much skill and even more smarts that they can overcome losing a half step.

But you're definitely right that each guy is different based on playing style and mileage. Some guys can definitely be successful until their mid to late 30's but they're getting fewer and farther between.

Girardi has really burned the idea of the early regression in my mind lol

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think his playmaking skills will hold up with age.

His defense and ability to get back? Not so sure on how well a 33 or 34 year of Yandle handles that, let alone the 36 or 37 year old version.

Wish him nothing but the best though --- so long as his interests don't conflict with ours. ;)

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Now I know while virtually no negotiations went on with the Rangers. As soon as 7 years came out of the agent's mouth, Gorton was probably on the phone with Florida

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Yandle got a great deal. No state income tax in Florida. Add another $300,000-$400,000. Like Ryan Callahan who got $5.8M from TB and was down to $6.1M-$6.2M for the Rangers before they went in another direction. He wanted a minimum of 7/$45M and Yandle got it.

There was a connection between the Panthers and Yandle. Florida was always confident it would get down.

Bad contract.

He'll still pay state income tax as a non-resident every time he plays in a state that does have an income tax; plus several cities also have a tax on visitng athletes.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Now that it's settled that we'll get a #4, it's a great trade to get 4+6 for a free agent we were never going to sign. It's literally two pics for nothing.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`m happy that we got that #4th & 6th pick - hopefully we get someone worthwhile in the future. ;)
Gorton did a great deal here consider the hopeless Yandle situation - I really enjoy this move and promising for our GM building a new Rangers to pursue the cup final dream in the future! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad