Speculation: Yakupov's points total

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Another Oil fan here super happy to see Yak off to a great start. Hope he keeps it up and does well for you.

MacLellan didn't have the patience to rebuild Yak. Like Eakins, he threw him on a lines with boat anchors and screamed at him "YOU'RE 1ST OVERALL! PLAY LIKE ONE!!!"

One thing that's VERY obvious, and true, and dismissed by the Yak haters is:

Yak produced exceptionally well under 2 coaches: Kruegar and Nelson. 2 Coaches that heavily emphasized self belief, and creating a positive atmosphere for him to thrive.

17 goals in 48 games with Kruegar as a rookie.
20 points in 28 games with Nelson.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Another Oil fan here super happy to see Yak off to a great start. Hope he keeps it up and does well for you.

MacLellan didn't have the patience to rebuild Yak. Like Eakins, he threw him on a lines with boat anchors and screamed at him "YOU'RE 1ST OVERALL! PLAY LIKE ONE!!!"

One thing that's VERY obvious, and true, and dismissed by the Yak haters is:

Yak produced exceptionally well under 2 coaches: Kruegar and Nelson. 2 Coaches that heavily emphasized self belief, and creating a positive atmosphere for him to thrive.

17 goals in 48 games with Kruegar as a rookie.
20 points in 28 games with Nelson.

Conveniently here he has no need to be what most see as a first overall, so he gets to do his thing with no real expectations. I loved the trade the second it was announced and now I'm pumped that he seems happy here. Hopefully he continues to enjoy it here and play well

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
[Tweet]786796517793214464[/MEDIA] jesus...did this kid need a new home. Hopefully the Blues drag his but out to the social life...kicking and screaming like they did Vladi.

It sounds like it is going to take more than hockey to help this kid. Some of it may be due to the language barrier, but those comments sound like pretty textbook clinical depression. Hopefully someone in the organization catches on to this and gets him some help outside the rink. Just having some new and old friends around isn't going to be enough.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm impressed by how honest and open Yakupov has been with the media. Even the live interview with Pang last night:
"Has it been easy to adjust to your new team mates?"

The canned answer would have been, "Yeah, everyone here has been really welcoming. I'm just trying to fit in and contribute where I can." etc, etc.

Yakupov paused for a moment and kind of smiled, then said, "NOW, it is."

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Last night 3rd line TOI's

Code:
Pääjärvi (7:22) - Berglund (13:19) - Yakupov (8:30)

Hmm, Steen - Stastny had very big load of minutes over 21min. Decrease Lehterä's TOI at powerplay or Berglund's and give it guy like Yakupov. I think Yakupov could be good at PP special team in 2nd unite. Lets hope Yeo will try him there.

Maybe try something like this and umbrella strategy.

Code:
Perron - Berglund/Lehterä - Fabbri 
Parayko - Yakupov

Btw Lehterä will be gas out after 25GP if he is used this heavily at PK. :shakehead

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Last night 3rd line TOI's

Code:
Pääjärvi (7:22) - Berglund (13:19) - Yakupov (8:30)

Hmm, Steen - Stastny had very big load of minutes over 21min. Decrease Lehterä's TOI at powerplay or Berglund's and give it guy like Yakupov. I think Yakupov could be good at PP special team in 2nd unite. Lets hope Yeo will try him there.

Code:
Perron - Berglund/Lehterä - Fabbri 
Parayko - Yakupov

Btw Lehterä will be gas out after 25GP if he is used this heavily at PK. :shakehead

10 minutes of PK skews the ice time a bit. I'm looking forward to Yakupov working into the PP.

bestmyfeeling

Oct 22, 2010
I'm impressed by how honest and open Yakupov has been with the media. Even the live interview with Pang last night:
"Has it been easy to adjust to your new team mates?"

The canned answer would have been, "Yeah, everyone here has been really welcoming. I'm just trying to fit in and contribute where I can." etc, etc.

Yakupov paused for a moment and kind of smiled, then said, "NOW, it is."

another oil fan here, loved yak and partly was because he just came accross as such an honest guy, which many fans have gone on to scrutinize. My user name came from an interview after he scored the now famous/infamous goal versus LA and slid across center ice.

one other moment where he was heavily criticized is when our **** (ryshaug/spector) media here keep asking him "what specifically did you change in your game to try to play more minutes/improve?"

yak would always be very honest and mention that he still sees himself as a scoring, top 6 winger and that he doesn't like to be put in defensive roles or being on a checking line. Always found it surprising that boneheads like ryshaug would turn around and say yak was stubborn not willing to adapt, etc...etc...and this is why trading him is addition by subtraction...yadi yada.

that always irked me, anyways, i hope Yak kills it for you guys, loved him here, and under different circumstances i wish we could have had a reset with him

Last edited by a moderator:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
another oil fan here, loved yak and partly was because he just came accross as such an honest guy, which many fans have gone on to scrutinize. My user name came from an interview after he scored the now famous/infamous goal versus LA and slid across center ice.

one other moment where he was heavily criticized is when our **** (ryshaug/spector) media here keep asking him "what specifically did you change in your game to try to play more minutes/improve?"

yak would always be very honest and mention that he still sees himself as a scoring, top 6 winger and that he doesn't like to be put in defensive roles or being on a checking line. Always found it surprising that boneheads like ryshaug would turn around and say yak was stubborn not willing to adapt, etc...etc...and this is why trading him is addition by subtraction...yadi yada.

that always irked me, anyways, i hope Yak kills it for you guys, loved him here, and under different circumstances i wish we could have had a reset with him

I don't know a lot about the Edmonton media, but I'm sure the St Louis media is a lot gentler (and probably a lot more superficial) than a Canadian market. He's probably not going to have an awkward quote printed where he could be misunderstood. Those guys are actually rooting for him. The media members selected him as the 1st star last night, for example. I think his (naive) tendency to answer bluntly and honestly is only going to serve him well.

Last edited by a moderator:

bestmyfeeling

Oct 22, 2010
I don't know a lot about the Edmonton media, but I'm sure the St Louis media is a lot gentler (and probably a lot more superficial) than a Canadian market. He's probably not going to have an awkward quote printed where he could be misunderstood. Those guys are actually rooting for him. The media members selected him as the 1st star last night, for example. I think his (naive) tendency to answer bluntly and honestly is only going to serve him well.

here is prime example:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/rishaug-yakupov-has-been-stubborn-for-a-number-of-years~968397

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Reading the quotes reminds us that our players are really still very young and can still have the pressures of mixing in socially and missing their families...Yak said as much when he got off the plane in St. Louis.

Regarding the social aspects, he doesn't seem like a party guy so hopefully there is a clique on the team with whom he can integrate, make friends, and have fun.

Hopefully, Vladi can help him adapt and cope with it.

I'd honestly prefer Yak to be happy before even worrying about his hockey.

Well Yakupov is Muslim. I don't know how devout he is (if he prays 5 times a day facing Mecca, fasts during Ramadan, adheres to dietary restrictions, etc) but I very much doubt he drinks alcohol or would ever be considered a "party guy" haha. I can only imagine the difficulties this kid has been thru trying to adjust to the social and cultural differences in North America. I am very impressed with his English, the language barrier alone must have been difficult to overcome! Couple those adjustments with the crazy high expectations of a #1OA pick in a Canadian media market and you've for a recipe for a rough ride.

Those quotes about the loneliness he has felt are really heart wrenching...I don't know how anyone with an ounce of empathy can read that and not root for the guy.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
JR just said in his chat that Yakupov is a pretty devout Muslim and that he's pretty stringent morally. If that's the case it wouldn't be surprising that he didn't fit in all that well on a very young team like that.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
He doesn't drink alcohol, but he is rather loose on other aspects of Islam. He doesn't fast during Ramadan, only goes to Mosque occasionally, etc. His faith is mostly in the moral teachings; being a good person and helping others.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
He doesn't drink alcohol, but he is rather loose on other aspects of Islam. He doesn't fast during Ramadan, only goes to Mosque occasionally, etc. His faith is mostly in the moral teachings; being a good person and helping others.

Come on, hasn't anyone ever told him that that's not what religion's all about, i's about being right and your neighbor being wrong.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
... I think Yakupov could be good at PP special team in 2nd unite. Lets hope Yeo will try him there.

Agree, Nails is a natural on a modified umbrella. Hopefully, he doesn't freak :cry: some people out if he fires off a shot from the blue line. :scared: ...and the shot goes in or gets deflected or redirected to the back of the net. :yo:

:help:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yak will be on the 2nd unit most likely next week.

Fabbri Lehtera Yakupov
Parayko eh.....

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Oiler fan here, happy to see Yakupov have a good game. I said it before, he's a great kid. Both sides needed a fresh start, wish nothing but the best for him (except when we play).

Between him and the darling of HFOil Parayko, it's hard to not like the Blues. If only you guys were in the East ;).

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
I like this thread way more than the Yakupov "appreciation" thread on the Oilers' board.

Tuned in to part of last night's game. Saw his assist live (unfortunately missed his goal but caught it on replay). And his postgame interview that was so awkward and awesome, reminds me of the good times we had with happy Yak.

Go Yakupov!
Go Oilers!

Go Blues?!?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Oiler fan here, happy to see Yakupov have a good game. I said it before, he's a great kid. Both sides needed a fresh start, wish nothing but the best for him (except when we play).

Between him and the darling of HFOil Parayko, it's hard to not like the Blues. If only you guys were in the East ;).

Did you happen to catch Parayko killing Grandlund. Kid is realizing his size and strength

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Thanks to all of the Oilers' fans for being very gracious.

Yak can fill a different role in STL...he has skills that very few of our forwards possess and we lost a few forwards last summer. His skill set also seems to fit the new mold of the team and I think 30-40 points would be seen as a windfall in his first year.

Oilers have an abundance of very skilled forwards so it may have been a bit harder for him to find his stride and seem unique...also, expectations can be very hard on a player.

B/c his skill set is somehwat unique to our forward group, the Blues have an enahnced interest in smoothing a path for him, finding the right linemates, etc.

The mere fact that he is ready to pull the trigger is a plus in some sense b/c some of our forwards show hesitancy in that area.

We'd be happy with 30 pts but he may have more upside than that level...we'll see. After reading how so many fans legitimately care about the guy, I'm hoping he just finds some happiness and comfort as a starter. Tarasenko should help b/c that Russian homesickness is something pretty unique...only other Russians seem to truly empathize.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Did you happen to catch Parayko killing Grandlund. Kid is realizing his size and strength

Yup :yo:

I have the Centre Ice package, watched the entire game. Parayko playing hockey like a good ol western Canadian boy. What a beast.

If he realizes a mean streak, my Pronger 2.0 prediction will come true. Out of all the young Dmen in the league 23 and under, Parayko is the guy I'd take. Maybe Ekblad is the only one in the conversation, but honestly I think I'd take Parayko over him.

He's such a nice guy, I don't even think he realizes what an alpha he is.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Thanks to all of the Oilers' fans for being very gracious.

Yak can fill a different role in STL...he has skills that very few of our forwards possess and we lost a few forwards last summer. His skill set also seems to fit the new mold of the team and I think 30-40 points would be seen as a windfall in his first year.

Oilers have an abundance of very skilled forwards so it may have been a bit harder for him to find his stride and seem unique...also, expectations can be very hard on a player.

B/c his skill set is somehwat unique to our forward group, the Blues have an enahnced interest in smoothing a path for him, finding the right linemates, etc.

The mere fact that he is ready to pull the trigger is a plus in some sense b/c some of our forwards show hesitancy in that area.

We'd be happy with 30 pts but he may have more upside than that level...we'll see. After reading how so many fans legitimately care about the guy, I'm hoping he just finds some happiness and comfort as a starter. Tarasenko should help b/c that Russian homesickness is something pretty unique...only other Russians seem to truly empathize.

You guys have a lot of fans in us. We've chatted before, Parayko is the most popular non-Oiler and now Yakupov too, we've all said he's a good kid. It just wasn't working in EDM for both, it's one of those situations where both sides are better off.

It's too bad we're both in the West. I'm cheering for you guys whenever we aren't playing each other.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Maybe Yakupov can access the Bosnian community for the purposes of integration and transition. Not that Bosnians and Russian Tatars have all that much in common (or against each other), but at least there is a strong and thriving Muslim community in St. Louis with which he can connect.

Perhaps his faith is completely immaterial and we are overstating the importance of it, but it can be something that can help him feel less lonely and more connected to his community.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013

Yep, Snipes will enjoy that hit if someone is able to find it on video. I rewatched it a few times on DVR and, seeing it a full speed, it's just a big hit that took a lot of strength to pull off. He had a similar hit on Toews in last year's PO's...Toews looked pretty shocked afterwards.

BenFred mentioned the hit with a pic in a few paragraphs this morning:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_f2ea4de1-7c5a-5acb-b800-34d7b8be4eae.html

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad