XM has launched "NHL Home Ice"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I just happened to tune in last night, plus here is the link for XM's hockey talk channel. Still can't find the actual lineup for the station, but it is basically the same way their MLB talk channel is set up.

BTW it's XM 204 for those with XM

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Hoo...hoo...I invented 24/7 hockey talk...tell'em Fred!

I'm glued to 204 now...still gettin used to the lineup though. Thank god for the MyFi, so now I can record O&A and listen to 204. But so far, I think 204 needs to work out some of the bugs of just starting out, but they'll get there.

Tress

Jul 21, 2005
Brighton, MA
Between O&A, Ron and Fez, NHL games, XM Comedy, Squizz, and now Home Ice....I listen to more radio than watch TV these days. XM owns my life.

I also think they need to work on it a bit. I liken it to OLN; rough at the beginning, but let's hope they can pick it up.

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Tress said:
Between O&A, Ron and Fez, NHL games, XM Comedy, Squizz, and now Home Ice....I listen to more radio than watch TV these days. XM owns my life.

I also think they need to work on it a bit. I liken it to OLN; rough at the beginning, but let's hope they can pick it up.

Exactly, XM getting hockey has been just huge and them adding this 24/7 hockey talk channel is driving me nuts cuz I still want to listen to music and check out O&A and R&F, but I'm totally consumed by 204 now. So far, Mike Bossy and Denis Potvin have called in a bunch of times, which I've missed, and they had an in-depth interview with Andrew Raycroft, which I wanted to check out.

I still want to find out the broadcast schedule for the channel...they've yet to release it. This is HUGE for hockey fans in Canada and especially the US. I mean, here in states, sports shows typically avoid the sport of hockey altogether. When I lived in Jersey, occasionally Mike and The Mad Dog would have a Ranger or Islander on and they would talk a little hockey. But this is a hockey channel...24/7! It's my dream come true. On a side note about XM, their new product with Dell was leaked, and it looks really cool. It might not be as good as the new Samsung portable unit, which is basically the 2nd generation MyFi. It appears to be more MP3 player based with no live programming off the dock, which is what Sirius' S50 is, yet the Dell/XM product is 30 gigs (compared to 50 hours for S50) with an estimated price of $300 (S50 starts around $360 without the home kit). Just goes to show you which company is truly "ahead", which may be good for not only XM, but the NHL also...in the long run. :yo:

Tress

Jul 21, 2005
Brighton, MA
The Samsung NeXus won't be the second generation Myfi...it's going to be like the Dell/XM DJ and the Sirius S50, only having live capability when docked.

Heard some more Home Ice today, good stuff. It's not on tonight because of the number of games on tonight.

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Tress said:
The Samsung NeXus won't be the second generation Myfi...it's going to be like the Dell/XM DJ and the Sirius S50, only having live capability when docked.

I stand corrected! I was following what Hugh Panero was saying to Billboard Radio Monitor regarding the 2nd generation MyFi and got the units mixed up. The NeXus is actually quite comparable to the S50, however, the scheduled recording capabilities will probably be different. Apparently, it appears that the greedy RIAA most likely came down hard on both sat. companies, which in turn, caused XM to delay the release of the NeXus and caused Sirius to upgrade the S50's firmware...limiting it's recording capabilities. S50 users will now be unable to schedule a recording on any music channels, and they can only record 2 hour blocks of their talk channels. It's a huge bummer for Sirius fan, especially for the price. I'm interested to see what XM will do to alter the Dell/XM DJ and NeXus now.

I caught a little bit of home ice today, and the bugs seem to be working out. The other new Canadian based channels sound alright too, though I can't give an opinion on the french speaking channels. But so far, Home Ice's personalities seem un-biased and pretty straightforward, and they've gotten some pretty big call-ins so far. I'm just happy to have access to hockey talk now whenever I want it.

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
1st Month Thoughts

We're nearing the first month of the launch of XM's 24/7 NHL Talk channel...what is everyone's thoughts so far?

I personally love the channel. It's hard to listen to music now. They set it up just like MLB Home Plate 175, and that flows well. i enjoy the guests on the show, and really I also agree that the morning show is a bit hacky. But, at least they're talking hockey, and not talking about the Jessica/Nick breakup or what some stupid morning zoo host did over the weekend.

Skroob*

OpAckTool said:
But, at least they're talking hockey, and not talking about the Jessica/Nick breakup or what some stupid morning zoo host did over the weekend.

Hoo-hoo, i invented divorces. Tell 'em, Fred. ;)

mzon

Feb 13, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Leaf Lander said:
lets hope xm doesn't go belly up anytime soon :D

Yeah, I hope they don't do something stupid like pay a washed up, self-involved, boy-scout radio personality 500 MILLION DOLLARS.

Hoo Hoo Rob-in....I'm the first shock-jock in space. tell'em Fred.

Tress

Jul 21, 2005
Brighton, MA
I think that the Home Ice channel has been really good for being so new. I really like the afternoon show where they have all the beat writers from all the cities come on and talk about their respective teams.

XM is also coming along with the actual display on the recievers that denote period and power-plays. They are also now running what channel the hockey games will be on, when you have the sports scroll on. I think the only thing they could really improve on is a real-time clock...but I can live without that.

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
XM also hopes to have a partnership with every NHL team (they have contracts with like 14 of the 30 teams as of right now) to sell their merchandise, promotional displays, and free giveaways at NHL games. It'll not only be great for XM, but XM seems willing to actively help market the sport. It'll get even better when Sirius loses the NHL, because at this point, XM cannot use the NHL logo and other various entities that Sirius has the rights to use for another year and a half or so.

hoo...hoo....that's right Robin!

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The only drawback is that I can't get the *talk* portion of XM204 online.

I have been unable to get a straight answer from XM on why there is no ability to listen to that channel online.

At least as I drive to SoCal on Saturday, 5-6 hours depending on traffic and weather/fog, I'll have (taped) shows to listen to about hockey.

mzon

Feb 13, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
LadyStanley said:
The only drawback is that I can't get the *talk* portion of XM204 online.

I have been unable to get a straight answer from XM on why there is no ability to listen to that channel online.

At least as I drive to SoCal on Saturday, 5-6 hours depending on traffic and weather/fog, I'll have (taped) shows to listen to about hockey.

They aren't allowed to steam some content online. I am not sure what the guidelines are, but that is why ESPN, MSNBC, CNN, ect. I'm sure it has something to do with commercials and broadcast rights.

GhostofKenKlee

Whereabouts of one Mr. Norton

Does anyone know what happened to him?

Yellow Discipline is up there with the white album.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad