X. Texas Stars (AHL) Discussion

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
How has Lindell been in his games?

I see he is averaging a point a game, first in AHL rookie scoring, 2nd in team scoring in AHL so far. Putting up similar numbers as Klingberg did last season in AHL before he was recalled for good. Here are his and Klingberg's stats in AHL(before Klinger was called up last year)....

Lindell - 7gp. 1g. 6a. 7pts. 6pims. +8. *currently 21 years old
Klingberg - 10gp. 4g. 6a. 10pts. 6pims. +2. *was 22 years old with these stats

Ill be very curious when Lindell gets recalled. I like him being a good offensive left shot dman

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Any further thoughts on Stransky's start?

I have him in a keeper league. Had kind of written him off, but this hot start has me hopeful again.

Didn't see him play but he seems to be much more aggressive, he already has 16 penalty minutes in 6 games. But I guess it's worth the points he produces.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Friendly visit here :)

Whats the deal with Jack Campbell? He seemed to dominate in 13-14, but hasnt been very good after that (statwise). Did something happen or is it inside his head?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Stars lost 5-2.

Shore potted his 9th goal.

Mikko Rantanen got 3 assists. I didn't watch the game, but Campbell stopped 22/27 shots.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Friendly visit here :)

Whats the deal with Jack Campbell? He seemed to dominate in 13-14, but hasnt been very good after that (statwise). Did something happen or is it inside his head?

He's mentally fragile for sure. I haven't watched enough Texas Stars games to consider myself an expert on him, but when I did watch him he always seemed to over pursue or over play pucks. It's good to be aggressive, but it led to him not being able to recover to make a stop.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - X___ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Any updates on how the team is doing? Curious as to how Lindell and Honka specifically have looked halfway through.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - X___ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Esa Lindell was just selected for the AHL All-Star Game, along with Morin and Ranford.

All deservedly so. Same Shore got injured, or he likely would've gone as well (or replacing Ranford, possibly).

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I watched Oleksiak in the AHL game last night...
He still looks sluggish, even at the AHL-level.

I’ve watched about 5 games of the T-Stars this season, and to be honest I’ve come away fairly disappointed with what I thought was going to be a VERY impressive group of D Prospects. The T-Stars have the WORST GAA in the AHL…now I know some of that is on the goalie, but the defense takes a big portion of the responsibility for that medal of shame.

I know that Lindell has gotten some rave reviews, but I just don’t see it…and I was one of his biggest cheerleaders last season when he was playing in Europe. Hopefully, I’ve just caught him on bad nights.

Honka looks pretty good out there, but he’s a tiny, right-handed, offensive D who isn’t ready quite yet…beyond that, with Klingberg on the big club occupying the PP QB, top pairing, right-shot, offensive D spot on our lineup, Honka may not ever slot into our lineup…especially being that right now we need SIZE and DEFENSIVE focus.

Johns looks to be an impressive athlete…I’m surprised by his ability to rush the puck for a man of his size. Very good skating for a big-man. I’ve seen him throw the body with malice as well…which is fun. His defensive play is lacking though, so I’d temper my expectations if you are looking for a shut down D out of him.

Backman is actually my darkhorse candidate and looks to be the most NHL-ready of our D prospects right now. He’s not as jump-off-the-screen as the rest of them, but he’s effective and seems to make the fewest mistakes. I think he has some underrated offensive ability…much like Jokipakka in that sense. Backman’s #‘s in the Swedish High League suggest there is untapped potential there on the offensive side of things (17pts in 25 games last season in Sweden is fairly impressive). I can see him slotting into our 3rd pairing if given the chance. I’d like to see him get a chance, but with our contracts the way they are, he doesn’t have the opportunity to pass up Nemeth or Big Rig unless a move is made. Look for him to be one of the last cuts in training camp next season, and be the surprise player to get some playing time on the big club…outside chance of supplanting Jokipakka next season with his defensive responsibility.

Offensively, nobody has been consistent…with the exception of Dickinson…and Faksa has looked like Faksa.

Ritchie was invisible last night, but has impressed in other games.

McKenzie is what he is, and I’d actually like to see him get a call up to add some energy to the Dallas Stars, silky soft lineup.

I might add that Desrosiers looks pretty promising…and man, would it be nice for him to pan out.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Good stuff OM

Read every word of that. Appreciate it.

I've been following the Texas Stars, as much as I can without watching anyways.

It's fun to check stat lines and read anything about certain players we're all high on, and I have to say to that Backman is someone I've started keeping an eye on as well.

Of course I'm not watching so nothing can compensate, but it seems lately he's been the guy to always have something positive going, whether it's a point or a +. Definitely could be a sleeper.

I'm high on Desrosiers. Was speaking with Heika in the summer and so is he. We both said that we feel he is the real deal. Impressive to see how well he's been doing so far, and Jeff Reese was watching him last night. I fantasize now of him getting the call, and then running with it, and he gives us beyond good/good enough goaltending. Patrick Roy 1986.

I'm still a fan of Campbell, so I almost feel like I'm cheating on him by rooting for Desrosiers.

He's doing well in the EC, like he did last season when he was down for conditioning, and then he came back up and was excellent the rest of the way. A good friend of mine from up here in our little Alberta town is the head coach of the Tulsa oilers and won his 500th ECHL game Saturday night vs Jack, so kind of conflicting for me. Jack got him Friday night though, stopping 27/28 in the win. I want the best for the guy (Jack), I want him to succeed, I won't give up hope, but it's clear he needs to perform a complete 180.

Desrosiers though, kid does seem like the real deal.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I've been high on PD for a bit now. I was able to watch quite a fwew games of his last year in the Q with Rimouski. Not shocked at all to see him translating his strong career in the Q to the pros.

He's got very good potential, and he's a nice guy. At a small interaction with him during a playoff game last year when Rimouski played Gatineau. I feel like he can be a fan favourite.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Well, if Backman makes the NHL, the Cole trade will nearly rank right up there with the Seguin trade for Nill. Yeah, it works as supposed to - 2 young guys who will contribute for years, for an aging vet for a playoff team. The prospects returned don't always work out....we did get the upgrade draft pick for Dickenson for Jagr, but where are the two prospects, etc., and JD is still a jury out kind of low first round pick.

A bit disappointed on the Johns report. Many said he would have replaced Oduya on the Hawks blue line this year, so I thought he was ready to play at the NHL level.

Appreciate the update on Derosiers. We really need one young goalie to be a true NHL prospect right now, and may even have to trade for one. It seems he wasn't the highest ranked goalie on the board when the Stars picked him in the second, but of course, Nill and company have their own board, different than the ISS scouting service.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Good stuff OM

Read every word of that. Appreciate it.

I've been following the Texas Stars, as much as I can without watching anyways.

It's fun to check stat lines and read anything about certain players we're all high on, and I have to say to that Backman is someone I've started keeping an eye on as well.

Of course I'm not watching so nothing can compensate, but it seems lately he's been the guy to always have something positive going, whether it's a point or a +. Definitely could be a sleeper.

I'm high on Desrosiers. Was speaking with Heika in the summer and so is he. We both said that we feel he is the real deal. Impressive to see how well he's been doing so far, and Jeff Reese was watching him last night. I fantasize now of him getting the call, and then running with it, and he gives us beyond good/good enough goaltending. Patrick Roy 1986.

I'm still a fan of Campbell, so I almost feel like I'm cheating on him by rooting for Desrosiers.

He's doing well in the EC, like he did last season when he was down for conditioning, and then he came back up and was excellent the rest of the way. A good friend of mine from up here in our little Alberta town is the head coach of the Tulsa oilers and won his 500th ECHL game Saturday night vs Jack, so kind of conflicting for me. Jack got him Friday night though, stopping 27/28 in the win. I want the best for the guy (Jack), I want him to succeed, I won't give up hope, but it's clear he needs to perform a complete 180.

Desrosiers though, kid does seem like the real deal.

I intend to keep watching T-Stars games here and there, so I will update when I can.

Hopefully I'm dead wrong on Lindell and he lights it up tonight! That would be just perfect to boost this struggling team right now. How happy would we be to see him bump someone out of our D-logjam and cut us to 7D, coupled with a trade to improve the D even more?!

Best-case Scenario.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Mark Stepneski ‏@StarsInsideEdge 13 hours ago

Working on Texas Stars report. Philippe Desrosiers' last 4 starts for Texas:

3-1-0 record
1.75 goals-against average
.940 save percentage.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Mark Stepneski ‏@StarsInsideEdge 13 hours ago

Working on Texas Stars report. Philippe Desrosiers' last 4 starts for Texas:

3-1-0 record
1.75 goals-against average
.940 save percentage.

Very encouraging...unfortunately we still need another 30 or so games or so + some playoff data points to get an indication if he's for real. He looked good to me in the game I watched.

Don't mean to be a Debbie-downer or anything...In the meantime, Wooooooo!

I think he gets called up to Dallas sometime this season. That will be fun to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad