TV: X-Men '97

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Is anyone watching this? Looks interesting and is supposed to be a continuation of the original animated series.
1710950608779.png

Sep 19, 2008

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Busy all week but yeah this dropped today.

Positive fanfare so far.

Just watched it. It was awesome and feels like the trailers don't do it justice tbh. Was great and the story was nice, let's see how this goes.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
It's absolutely perfect.

They've managed to blend the old animation with a cleaner, more defined style that mimics the original, but allows more flexibility.

It's a perfect blend of old and new.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
That was great! They really knocked it out of the park, Beast and Rogue's voices seem a bit off to me but I'll surely get used to it. And I love they they leaned even harder into sterotypes so far when I assumed they'd do the opposite. Rogue is folksier than ever and Gambit is introduced making beignets. Looking forward to the rest

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I know next to nothing about x men but wanted to give this show a shot because the 90s animation style and art style and I have to say I really liked it and look forward to future episodes

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That was great! They really knocked it out of the park, Beast and Rogue's voices seem a bit off to me but I'll surely get used to it. And I love they they leaned even harder into sterotypes so far when I assumed they'd do the opposite. Rogue is folksier than ever and Gambit is introduced making beignets. Looking forward to the rest
Animation for the Xmen characters are basically spot on to what they were in 97. Magneto on the other hand….
Not a fan of his redesign.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
This is really good. It sticks to a lot of the things that made the original series a classic (cameos, team ups, Jean biting off more than she can chew and screaming) while still feeling fresh.

I also may have been too young to pick up on this stuff when the show was in its original run, but I like how they made the anti mutant terrorist so similar to a lot of today's conspiracy crowd.

Definitely going to keep watching

Edit - I should also add this show seems written for 2 target audiences, nostalgic millennials such as myself and today's children. That is not an easy balance but they're doing a really good job

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Looks like Magneto's look is based off a comic where he was put on trial.
Guess, this now makes sense.

Still prefer his regular look that we've seen in the other animated series.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is really good. It sticks to a lot of the things that made the original series a classic (cameos, team ups, Jean biting off more than she can chew and screaming) while still feeling fresh.

I also may have been too young to pick up on this stuff when the show was in its original run, but I like how they made the anti mutant terrorist so similar to a lot of today's conspiracy crowd.

Definitely going to keep watching

Edit - I should also add this show seems written for 2 target audiences, nostalgic millennials such as myself and today's children. That is not an easy balance but they're doing a really good job
Season 1 aired back in 1992, so to have seen it, you'd have to be almost 40 or older now to even remember it.

I had to watch the series finale (gosh the animation went downhill in season 5. Guess the money disappeared and they went with a cheaper studio or something to make them). To refresh my memory of what happened with Xavier.

Amazes me, though not really, how people can complain about anything and everything. Almost all of the characters designs matches what they were in the original, save for the hair cuts for Storm, Bishop, and Morph. Easy to explain Morph that this is his natural form. Magneto is the one that has the biggest variance in his costume, but they followed the look he had in a comic arc where he stood trial. Otherwise, they'd probably have kept him close to the original look. Even the cameos that Morph changed into were fairly spot on from the original series.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
So far id probably say my favorite characters are Storm (damn shame but i think she will be back) or Wolverine, the dude with the sun glasses and the baton type of thing thats close with Rogue I dunno his name seems pretty cool as well. Never watched the show in the 90s so all these characters are new to me.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
So far id probably say my favorite characters are Storm (damn shame but i think she will be back) or Wolverine, the dude with the sun glasses and the baton type of thing thats close with Rogue I dunno his name seems pretty cool as well. Never watched the show in the 90s so all these characters are new to me.
That's Gambit, good character but a bit of a poochy as he was the 'cool' character introduced in the late 80's/early 90's.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
First 2 episodes I enjoyed, was expecting Disney to Disney all over this, cautiously optimistic going forward didn't expect then to have the balls to go the angle they did with Jean'spregnancy not spoiling it but if you know, you know who and what I'm referring to.

The show is great, better than I could have ever hoped for. I honestly think Magneto in episode 2 is pretty much the best we’ve seen him in any TV/movie adaptation.
Spot on adaption of the Trial of Magneto. Seeing X-Cutioner this early was pretty cool also.

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
uncanny-x-men-200-vf-nm-90-marvel-comics-1985.webp

That's one of the first issues of X-Men I bought. Still have it after almost 40 years too. Never watched the original series, was "too old" for it back then. But I'm all in on the new show. Especially since it seems like they're taking stories from the 80's comics that I read back in the day.

Bowski

GO LEAFS GO!
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Bishop is in this and on the main roster?
Clint_Eastwood_disgust.gif

I guess I can put up with that if it means more legendary Apocalypse quotes to come.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Really liking it so far. Goes full-on soap opera in the 3rd episode and reminds me so much of the original lol.

The artwork, the characters, the team ups, the story - everything is just spot on right now.

Reactions: Primary Assist

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Animation for the Xmen characters are basically spot on to what they were in 97. Magneto on the other hand….
Not a fan of his redesign.
I think his redesign only has to do with him trying to be a hero so far.

I like it more than the original so far!

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
The artwork, animations, coloring is all top botch so far. Not a single gripe about it.

This episode was a little far out for me but still really good. Maybe thats because im not up to snuff with the lore and what happened in the past show but still good overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad