WWE to shutdown steaming service, goes to NBC Peacock for $1 billion

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ooof before WM. I am at work and can't check, is Peacock 9.99 or is it less/more?

This makes complete sense. There are just too many fish out there all for $4.99 - $15.99. It is ridiculous. Some had to merge eventually.

Sep 19, 2008
Ooof before WM. I am at work and can't check, is Peacock 9.99 or is it less/more?

This makes complete sense. There are just too many fish out there all for $4.99 - $15.99. It is ridiculous. Some had to merge eventually.
Yeah around that price

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

It's actually only 5$ a month. Seems like fantastic value tbh

Reactions: ColePens

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It will be ad-supported at $4.99, standard $9.99. For the fan this is excellent because for the same price you get all of Peacock.

I have no idea how NBC thinks this is worth over $1b over 5 years. Consumer base is ancient. A bunch of old white guys still think Vince is a genius, and I guess that’s the genius of Vince.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
So I pay $5 a month for that premium cock and the WWEN is included in that? Rather than $10 a month for going direct through WWE?

This feels like a win for the fans

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
It will be ad-supported at $4.99, standard $9.99. For the fan this is excellent because for the same price you get all of Peacock.

I have no idea how NBC thinks this is worth over $1b over 5 years. Consumer base is ancient. A bunch of old white guys still think Vince is a genius, and I guess that’s the genius of Vince.
There are a lot of people who don't watch WWE product anymore, that still wants access to tape libraries that the Network brings.

I dunno how this works though. Do you get everything for $4.99 that you would with WWE network?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
This is only for the US though. Other countries will still use the wwe network I think. Or assume anyways.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is only for the US though. Other countries will still use the wwe network I think. Or assume anyways.
That will likely all be parsed out in due course.

John Pollock of POST Wrestling already did a free podcast with Brandon Thurston of Wreslenomics on this news already. Wrestling Observer will be coming tonight

Reactions: KCC

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
As someone who once again has Comcast, thus receives Peacock as a part of my package, I approve of this.

I'm guessing this will change over time and have different tiers but I will be splurging on older content until that happens.

This is the way cable tv is headed as well.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
As someone who once again has Comcast, thus receives Peacock as a part of my package, I approve of this.

I'm guessing this will change over time and have different tiers but I will be splurging on older content until that happens.

This is the way cable tv is headed as well.

In 10 years I’m not convinced cable will be a thing, everything will just be apps on your tv or phone, including live events. It’s the same way I feel about movie theaters. The only thing I can’t fully get to is major live events or sports only available via streaming.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
In 10 years I’m not convinced cable will be a thing, everything will just be apps on your tv or phone, including live events. It’s the same way I feel about movie theaters. The only thing I can’t fully get to is major live events or sports only available via streaming.

The problem is people are now paying more for streaming services than they paid for cable tv. They are going to have to bundle the services together, as in this case, or there will be casualties. I think live sports will still be on tv channels because there's less delay than with streaming.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I would not be shocked if we see certain PPVs go back to PPVs. NBC will get like secondary PPVs, but I could see top 4 PPVs being pay for.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I would not be shocked if we see certain PPVs go back to PPVs. NBC will get like secondary PPVs, but I could see top 4 PPVs being pay for.
The toothpaste is already out of the tube on that one.

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
what about in canada will it still be wwe network?
As of now as far as I can tell the Canada network still works the same. I guess I'll take this news as a sign that WWE doesn't intend to fix the Canadian network so it can be supported on mobile. I used to be able to just throw it on my phone and then cast to my TV. Ever since an update in 2019 or so, I haven't been able to use it on my phone without a VPN. I have to bust out my only laptop that can cast to the TV, as I use my brother's account and he uses the on demand cable function.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Vince's buddy Dick Ebersol still has stroke at NBC?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Vince's buddy Dick Ebersol still has stroke at NBC?
I’m not sure Ebersol does anymore than advise their NFL staff. This is all Nick Kahn, who they hired because he’s the one with the network connections.

Reactions: KIRK

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
So basically getting the wwe network for free? I dunno why nbc paid that for wwe streaming but no complaints here. Wwe is still so good at getting blood from the same old stone.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
So basically getting the wwe network for free? I dunno why nbc paid that for wwe streaming but no complaints here. Wwe is still so good at getting blood from the same old stone.
Because there is a lot of people that will not get Peacock for free and it is another source of add revenue.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
So will this years Wrestlemania be the last major PPV on the Network? It's going to be tough for them to convince fans to pay big money for those shows on PPV, especially after more or less telling fans it was stupid to still buy PPVs when the network launched.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
As of now as far as I can tell the Canada network still works the same. I guess I'll take this news as a sign that WWE doesn't intend to fix the Canadian network so it can be supported on mobile. I used to be able to just throw it on my phone and then cast to my TV. Ever since an update in 2019 or so, I haven't been able to use it on my phone without a VPN. I have to bust out my only laptop that can cast to the TV, as I use my brother's account and he uses the on demand cable function.
I got rid of it after 1 month as I couldn't play it off my phone. I enjoyed watching older wrestling shows, but it was just useless to have as it wasn't easy to use

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
I got rid of it after 1 month as I couldn't play it off my phone. I enjoyed watching older wrestling shows, but it was just useless to have as it wasn't easy to use
Yep. I would do the same if I were paying for it.
I have the free WWE app on my smart TV, and it's not bad. They unlock a lot of content in the build to their PPVs. Last month a good chunk of Rumbles were unlocked, as well as full Rumble PPVs. Can catch something good from time to time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad