GDT: WWE SMACKDOWN PRESENTS BACKLASH (Sept. 11, 2016) - Kingpin vs. Phenomenal

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I'm still pissed about Bray losing to Kane...
Why? It was interference...

A win versus Orton completely erases a match where he was screwed.

Let's never build a feud through logical booking again.

Unless you're 100% just mad it was Kane. Then I agree. They should have used Apollo Crews instead. Could have had Corbin squash random jobber on PPV #1 and #2. Or even used Jason Jordan.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'd be down for an iron man match. I think it's been a while since we had one on the main roster

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

He's not going to beat Orton. They're building Orton as AJ's challenger.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
He's not going to beat Orton. They're building Orton as AJ's challenger.
If you say so. I'm sure Cena will be back before we know it and challenging AJ. And I fully expect Samoa Joe to debut sooner than later.

Orton needs no build to challenge for the World Title.

Oct 18, 2011

Unless you're 100% just mad it was Kane. Then I agree. They should have used Apollo Crews instead. Could have had Corbin squash random jobber on PPV #1 and #2. Or even used Jason Jordan.

because bray never gets the wins he needs, they treat him like he's just a guy

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
If you say so. I'm sure Cena will be back before we know it and challenging AJ. And I fully expect Samoa Joe to debut sooner than later.

Orton needs no build to challenge for the World Title.

After October Cena is gone for the rest of the year to film American Grit.

Orton/Styles has been the plan since the split, and it's highly likely Cena vs. Styles III takes place at Wrestlemania for the title at this point so Cena gets his 16th reign.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I have half a mind to argue Styles/Ambrose as the better match over Styles/Cena at Summerslam. Where the latter was just finisher-kickout-finisher-kickout for about 10-minutes, Styles and Ambrose just went out there, told a story, didn't rely on spamming finishers to build drama and excitement and had a MOTYC for the 25 minutes they were in there.

I'm gonna have to re-watch Styles vs. Cena eventually, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if Styles/Ambrose tops it.

Figures that Ambrose's best performance in more than a year would come against probably the only guy who can pull a good singles match out of Enzo Amore.

I'm with you. That was such a refreshing old school match with great psychology and two masters working their styles. A couple of memorable bumps but overall just great action and work. That's why I was putting it up as a MOTYC immediately last night because it was so refreshing and a sign of the changing philosophy on a noticeably very excellent and different Smackdown PPV.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
With Randy interfering and allowing Kane to beat Bray...could it be possible that when Randy and Bray actually faceoff, Bray gets his revenge and wins?

I think it was well booked in the fact that they worked an off-camera injury to keep Randy out of the match but he was okay enough to hit an RKO and get a semi-win over Bray.

Bray lost the battle last night but could still win the war. Wishful thinking, I know. I can't imagine that's the end of that program. They need to have an actual match.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
With Randy interfering and allowing Kane to beat Bray...could it be possible that when Randy and Bray actually faceoff, Bray gets his revenge and wins?

I think it was well booked in the fact that they worked an off-camera injury to keep Randy out of the match but he was okay enough to hit an RKO and get a semi-win over Bray.

Bray lost the battle last night but could still win the war. Wishful thinking, I know. I can't imagine that's the end of that program. They need to have an actual match.

It is almost certain Randy will go over to move into a title feud with AJ.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009

Bray Wyatt doesn't win blow off matches.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
If Randy has to go over Bray before facing A.J., then I understand the beef over Bray losing last night. I think more is made about Kane getting the pin but it was more about Randy being involved. If they don't book Randy interfering, would Bray have won? At the very least, it justifies the feud continuing.

No Mercy is probably going to be a rematch-fest.

A.J.-Dean (A.J. wins clean this time...no low blow)
Randy-Bray (assuming they clear Randy this time)
Miz-Dolph (the first match was so good they do it again)
Slater/Rhyno-The Usos (maybe the Usos go over in the rematch and they hold the title until AA returns)
Becky-#1 contender (should just be a one-on-one after 6-pack match)
Mid-card feud match (Corbin-Calisto?)

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I've accepted Bray is a jobber. There's virtually nothing about him that interests me. In WWE's machine, his character will never be anything more than an incoherent watered down cartoon. He's average at best in the ring. His promos are boring tripe. All he's got going for him is the cool entrance and the cool look.

Another thing I really liked last night that hasn't been mentioned was AJ winning on a shot to the junk. That's an extreme straight forward way to end the match. Made AJ look gritty as hell.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If Randy has to go over Bray before facing A.J., then I understand the beef over Bray losing last night. I think more is made about Kane getting the pin but it was more about Randy being involved. If they don't book Randy interfering, would Bray have won? At the very least, it justifies the feud continuing.

No Mercy is probably going to be a rematch-fest.

A.J.-Dean (A.J. wins clean this time...no low blow)
Randy-Bray (assuming they clear Randy this time)
Miz-Dolph (the first match was so good they do it again)
Slater/Rhyno-The Usos (maybe the Usos go over in the rematch and they hold the title until AA returns)
Becky-#1 contender (should just be a one-on-one after 6-pack match)
Mid-card feud match (Corbin-Calisto?)

If Randy was cleared he would of won last night.

The Man in White

Jun 28, 2004
So happy AJ went over. Had my doubts since WWE has a history of curbing momentum. Fantastic match. I want Mauro calling every match in WWE.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think they do Miz/Dolph again at a PPV. They've kind of written that if Dolph were to lose that he was at the end of the line before "going back to square one" which means if I see him turn heel tomorrow I'm gonna mark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad