WWE: WWE Network and Business Thread III [network count a "genuine disappointment"]

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The thing is that if they make a single Cena once every 10 years then it's probably more than worth it.

The only problem is that those kind of guys are totally random, and not really someone who you can make. You really have to just do mass recruitment and pushing and just hope.

Or just cut the scripted promos out and let everyone improvise.

If Conor McGregor decided he wanted to be a wrestler instead of a fighter he wouldn't even be looked at by WWE because he's only 5'8" and 170 pounds, and if he were brought in as a nobody, he'd be horribly stifled by the scripts.

Just let it all free flow.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne

If Conor McGregor decided he wanted to be a wrestler instead of a fighter he wouldn't even be looked at by WWE because he's only 5'8" and 170 pounds, and if he were brought in as a nobody, he'd be horribly stifled by the scripts.

That's the other half of it. WWE are terrible at making their guys stars due to trash booking and writing. I'd go about fixing both of those issues before looking at NXT or Performance Centre for faults.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Well thats a bit unfair to say because how do you know Conor would be a good pro wrestler.

Would you slight Dana if he didn't think Enzo would be a huge draw in UFC?

Really the only difference between Coner and Enzo is Coner is actually a world class MMA fighter who can back it up IRL. If he was some geek of the street that never won a fight no one would give his smack talk a dime.

OTOH if Conor pulled an AJ Styles or Daniel Bryan and was so good the crowds loved him he would probably be like those guys and main eventing and making millions of $$$ in the WWE.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Well thats a bit unfair to say because how do you know Conor would be a good pro wrestler.

Would you slight Dana if he didn't think Enzo would be a huge draw in UFC?

Really the only difference between Coner and Enzo is Coner is actually a world class MMA fighter who can back it up IRL. If he was some geek of the street that never won a fight no one would give his smack talk a dime.

OTOH if Conor pulled an AJ Styles or Daniel Bryan and was so good the crowds loved him he would probably be like those guys and main eventing and making millions of $$$ in the WWE.

I'm talking purely charisma and drawing ability. In this hypothetical world, Conor is an average wrestler but has the exact same charisma, mic skills and drawing ability as he does in the real world. The point is the scripting in the company (and the fact that the company wouldn't have looked at someone like Conor in the first place).

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If McGregor was in WWE he'd last one week before going out to cut a promo and then not giving a damn about the scripts and saying "fook dis" and going off on his own tangent.

He'd promptly be fired.

And yet, the promo would probably be worth it

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
If McGregor was in WWE he'd last one week before going out to cut a promo and then not giving a damn about the scripts and saying "fook dis" and going off on his own tangent.

He'd promptly be fired.

And yet, the promo would probably be worth it

He'd probably have heat for doing Vince's walk on camera.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I'm talking purely charisma and drawing ability. In this hypothetical world, Conor is an average wrestler but has the exact same charisma, mic skills and drawing ability as he does in the real world. The point is the scripting in the company (and the fact that the company wouldn't have looked at someone like Conor in the first place).

Well if he was that charismatic and good on the mic he would eventually get to the top. Look at Bryan or Styles. Sure those guys don't get the Roman Reigns rocket but sooner or later the cream rises to the top.

Vince cares about money over all else. If Coner could draw millions toa PPV he would be a made man in WWE.

As far as scripting, I agree promos need to be more natural. I also put this on the talent. How many talents really have that promo ability? I mean like the olden days. Where are there promo voices? Watch a Warrior or Hogan promo they talk different, they are always in motion. Or watch Austin promo from 97.

Guys today just talk like regular guys, or huff and puff, or make jokes. If I was a wrestler today I would study either Hogan promos or Austin promos and style myself after one of those guys. There intesity would come through the screen when they talked.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Well if he was that charismatic and good on the mic he would eventually get to the top. Look at Bryan or Styles. Sure those guys don't get the Roman Reigns rocket but sooner or later the cream rises to the top.

Vince cares about money over all else. If Coner could draw millions toa PPV he would be a made man in WWE.

As far as scripting, I agree promos need to be more natural. I also put this on the talent. How many talents really have that promo ability? I mean like the olden days. Where are there promo voices? Watch a Warrior or Hogan promo they talk different, they are always in motion. Or watch Austin promo from 97.

Guys today just talk like regular guys, or huff and puff, or make jokes. If I was a wrestler today I would study either Hogan promos or Austin promos and style myself after one of those guys. There intesity would come through the screen when they talked.

He would maybe get there eventually. In his later 30s, though. He wouldn't be brought in in his 20s at his size and given a chance to prove himself for a while, though, imo. It's just the WWE way.

as for the later parts, in today's WWE or entertainment landscape in general, if I want to study promos I'm probably looking elsewhere than the older era of wrestlers to be honest since Hogan was brought up. Austin, Rock, Jericho, Angle, and then elsewhere at guys like Sonnen (even though he could never back it up), McGregor, etc.

just different eras. The coked out promos of the 80s and early 90s probably don't work today tbh lol. At least imo.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
He would maybe get there eventually. In his later 30s, though. He wouldn't be brought in in his 20s at his size and given a chance to prove himself for a while, though, imo. It's just the WWE way.

as for the later parts, in today's WWE or entertainment landscape in general, if I want to study promos I'm probably looking elsewhere than the older era of wrestlers to be honest since Hogan was brought up. Austin, Rock, Jericho, Angle, and then elsewhere at guys like Sonnen (even though he could never back it up), McGregor, etc.

just different eras. The coked out promos of the 80s and early 90s probably don't work today tbh lol. At least imo.

Ya Coner would have trouble to make the WWE, but thats true of any smaller wrestler. You need to be amazing in the ring and build a huge following. But if Coner was as much a draw in wrestilng as he was in UFC then Vince would get on his knees and kiss his butt to have him ME a Wrestlmania. I am talking being able to sell a circus fight at 100$ a pop like he is doing with Mayweather level draw.

As far as promo's go its not so much the cocked out stuff, but guys used to alwasy be doing something, always moving, flexing, something. They also had lots of intensity and it came through the screen. Thats what's missing.

Austin to me was on another level. I don't think anyone should steal his gimmick, but he was so angry, so I am going to do whatever I want and I don't give a damn that it just carried through the TV. Someone needs to take that attitude (pardon the pun) and apply to themselves. I thought Owens was doing that for a while but he went back to his slow dry talking that everyone else in WWE does. Either you talk slow or you make jokes. Thats the 2 promo types in WWE.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
WWE is rolling out the network in China for $5USD a month or $30/year. Michelle Wilson, marketing exec, says WWE has 140-million fans in the area and not all are watching legitimately.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Ya Coner would have trouble to make the WWE, but thats true of any smaller wrestler. You need to be amazing in the ring and build a huge following. But if Coner was as much a draw in wrestilng as he was in UFC then Vince would get on his knees and kiss his butt to have him ME a Wrestlmania. I am talking being able to sell a circus fight at 100$ a pop like he is doing with Mayweather level draw.

As far as promo's go its not so much the cocked out stuff, but guys used to alwasy be doing something, always moving, flexing, something. They also had lots of intensity and it came through the screen. Thats what's missing.

Austin to me was on another level. I don't think anyone should steal his gimmick, but he was so angry, so I am going to do whatever I want and I don't give a damn that it just carried through the TV. Someone needs to take that attitude (pardon the pun) and apply to themselves. I thought Owens was doing that for a while but he went back to his slow dry talking that everyone else in WWE does. Either you talk slow or you make jokes. Thats the 2 promo types in WWE.
THANK YOU! I couldnt agree more. Its honestly why I believe the women never seem to reach that same level. Alexa is the only one IMHO whos promos seem to have any sort of realism to them. You can feel the character coming out. It is severely lacking in so many in the wwe right. Jericho is intense, fired up, incredibly believable whether heel or face. Cena just exhudes intensity. Where is that in the new class?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Paid Network subscribers declined from the last quarter --> Q2 1.66m to Q3 1.52m. 1.11m domestic and .4 international. They're projecting 1.47m paid subscribers for Q4. International subscribers dropped (cough maybe Jinder isn't that India draw cough). 70k are on free promotional.

One part of the conference call that just has me confused:

-The caller said she believes they could be doing more internationally. Barrios said they are about halfway to three million subscribers and compared it to Netflix’s goals for subscribers.

lol what

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Paid Network subscribers declined from the last quarter --> Q2 1.66m to Q3 1.52m. 1.11m domestic and .4 international. They're projecting 1.47m paid subscribers for Q4. International subscribers dropped (cough maybe Jinder isn't that India draw cough). 70k are on free promotional.

One part of the conference call that just has me confused:

lol what

They don’t have the network in India, so that is not a factor. All of the PPV’s are on TV over there.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
They don’t have the network in India, so that is not a factor. All of the PPV’s are on TV over there.
They have the network in India (at least, that's what Google and WWE's site tells me). No one pays for it, though, which is why one of the company heads suggested offering it for $5 because they have "140-million fans viewing illegitimately."

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They have the network in India (at least, that's what Google and WWE's site tells me). No one pays for it, though, which is why one of the company heads suggested offering it for $5 because they have "140-million fans viewing illegitimately."
Illegitimately on free television? :laugh:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Wow I completely mixed up countries. It’s China that’s watching illegitimately. Lol.

India still has the network, though. Kinda redundant if it’s on free TV though.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Tian Bing skipping NXT and winning the title on his first night

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
I'm just repeating myself here. Any update on when the On Demand feature will be available for Bell (Fibe)?

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
WWE reported record revenue for the 2nd quarter of 2018 and released some numbers

"from $12 million earned in three months of 2017 to $61 million in 2018? The company points to “the distribution of certain programming content in international markets.”
that would largely be the Greatest Royal Rumble.

• Operating income nearly doubled to $21.2 million from $10.7 million in the prior year quarter
  • WWE Network average paid subscriber increased 10% to 1.80 million paid subscribers, consistent with the company’s guidance
  • Live event earnings were down slightly in North America and up internationally.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
This is why they can just buy any talent they want and pay them to stay home just so another company can’t have (Neville).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad