Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Tom Wilson (6 years, 5.17M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
To all the stat checking NHL fans out there, he would have gotten 5 million on the open market easily. Tom Wilson is more than fighter. He opens up the ice for Kuzy and OV.
Trumplistening.gif

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Makes the Ross Johnston contract look like one of the best in the league. This guy isn’t Marchand, he’s just a goon. Might be the worst contract in the nhl

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's like saying that Patty Maroon is a top-6 forward just because he gelled with Getzlaf and Perry and was a good road cone for McDavid to bounce pucks off of.

I'd say you can argue Maroon is more of a top-6 forward than Wilson is, and Maroon has had multiple 40 point seasons to his name. He hasn't had a contract worth more than $2 million a season.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
You're assuming the cap goes up exponentially. It's not going to increase by $5M every season.

Joke - Wikipedia

A joke is a display of humour in which words are used within a specific and well-defined narrative structure to make people laugh and is not meant to be taken seriously. It takes the form of a story, usually with dialogue, and ends in a punch line. It is in the punch line that the audience becomes aware that the story contains a second, conflicting meaning. This can be done using a pun or other word play such as irony, a logical incompatibility, nonsense, or other means. Linguist Robert Hetzron offers the definition:

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
The term doesn't bother me as much as the cap hit. He just turned 24 a few months back so this contract runs out when he's 30 so you'll get him through his prime. The cap hit is insane though for a role player. His career high is 35 points. He's never going to be a 50-60 point player.
I disagree. He's only posted one season with more than 40 points. Paying Wilson that much money for 6 years is awful seeing what kind of a player he was until the playoffs this year. The term makes the contract borderline untradeable should he revert to his career normal numbers

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Makes the Ross Johnston contract look like one of the best in the league. This guy isn’t Marchand, he’s just a goon. Might be the worst contract in the nhl

He's not a bad player, let's not morph this. He's just a 3rd liner that fits well on a scoring line, but he's being paid like a borderline top line player. He makes nearly the same as Hornqvist and only $600k less than Oshie, who are both insanely better players who signed as UFAs.

The crazy thing here is that if this is what they settled on, what did Wilson want originally? He held out for like a month, what was his original ask?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'd say you can argue Maroon is more of a top-6 forward than Wilson is, and Maroon has had multiple 40 point seasons to his name. He hasn't had a contract worth more than $2 million a season.
Hyman is another good comparable. Weak talent playing on the top line with two great players, and he signed for 2.25 for 4 years. This contract is mind-blowing to say the least. I don't understand why Caps fans are happy with it

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Goon that can score a bit making $5.1 million... I guess Bob Probert would be making $10 million if he were in the league these days.

Reactions: BillDineen

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
I've been a tom hater but he was easily the 2nd or 3rd most important player on the team. Kuzy looks like the man but how much of all that freewheeling space was created by Tom and ovi. Hoping he continues to grow

Reactions: JenniferH

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
To all the stat checking NHL fans out there, he would have gotten 5 million on the open market easily. Tom Wilson is more than fighter. He opens up the ice for Kuzy and OV.
You talk like people don't know who Wilson is. He should be paid 3.5 million.

What I find odd, is it wasn't even a nice even number...like 30 million over 6 years. It's 31,o20,ooo. Some crazy negotiating! Good on his agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad