Confirmed Trade: [WSH/SJS] Brenden Dillon (50% retained) for 2020 2nd round pick, cond. 2021 3rd round pick

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Aside from an occasional wonder goal ever 150 games or so, Dillon has no offensive ability. He can move the puck, but he's a guy who will mostly chip in from the point or shoot right at the goalie.

That being said, that is literally the only 'bad' thing you can say about him. He's an awesome defenseman. Good defensively, physical, leader, strong, skates well, and doesn't handle the puck like a grenade. Washington won't miss that 2nd+3rd one bit. Beyond wherever Joe/Patty end up, I'll be rooting for the Caps.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Aside from an occasional wonder goal ever 150 games or so, Dillon has no offensive ability. He can move the puck, but he's a guy who will mostly chip in from the point or shoot right at the goalie.

That being said, that is literally the only 'bad' thing you can say about him. He's an awesome defenseman. Good defensively, physical, leader, strong, skates well, and doesn't handle the puck like a grenade. Washington won't miss that 2nd+3rd one bit. Beyond wherever Joe/Patty end up, I'll be rooting for the Caps.
He sometimes brings that small black puck upstairs nicely, I've seen it happen. Makes those rushes when other suckas is down. So yeah he ain't making those goals, but can bring the puck in the zone. So that's kinda nice also sire don't you think no? The capitals got theirs here, dillon finna fight for the big cup again. :clap: Seen him play for years, now it is happening again like david lynch said.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Nice haul for San Jose!!! That’s a damn good package. Gj Sharks!
It's less than what most were predicting which was a 1st or a 2nd + a decent (not great) prospect. Doubt they get the 3rd rd pick. Dillon for a late 2nd seems an underpayment considering what Scandella returned.

EDIT- Though now that I see the conditions it looks like SJ is guaranteed a 3rd rd pick... most likely a late 2021 3rd. Still a little lower than what I'd expect but not horrible.

Reactions: themelkman

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
It's less than what most were predicting which was a 1st or a 2nd + a decent (not great) prospect. Doubt they get the 3rd rd pick. Dillon for a late 2nd seems an underpayment considering what Scandella returned.
It’s a conditional third based on year. They get a third either way.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I honestly don't hate it for the Caps. They needed something on the back-end. Not a ground breaking deal but considering what's available it was one of the best deals they could've made.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Poor guy was in tears last night at the thought of being on the move. NHL is a privilege and honor to play in but I still feel for the guys when being dealt

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

EDIT- Though now that I see the conditions it looks like SJ is guaranteed a 3rd rd pick... most likely a late 2021 3rd. Still a little lower than what I'd expect but not horrible.

Where did you see that most were predicting a 1st round pick? That sounds extremely off-base. I’d reckon if you had polled Sharks fans, less than 5% would have said they expected a 1st round pick.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Caps was a little bit suprising as a destination for Dillon, at least for me. Nice trade by the Sharks.

Edit: Oh, 50% retained. Pretty fair
Sharks have almost 20 mil on LTIR right now. Retaining 1.6 cap is meaningless to them.
Glad he went to Washington and not Stl or Vegas.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Almost. A little more.

Dillion isn't very fast and neither is Scandella. After that Dillion wins in every other category except for shot power but no one cares about that.
Dillon isn’t a slouch by any means.
LonelyCavernousAztecant-size_restricted.gif

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

I was really hoping JR would snag this guy for Pittsburgh for defensive depth. Damn.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Just when i think nhl gm's have gone loopy someone makes a good trade. Its correct value which for Sharks fans in this market is a little disappointing I would think.

The only thing I am disappointed in is the condition of the 3rd given that the Sharks are retaining 50%. It should be Ari's 3rd this year with that retention but I'm not shocked. Wilson was looking to do right by Dillon and send him to a strong team. He could have gotten a bit more at the deadline.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Almost. A little more.

Dillion isn't very fast and neither is Scandella. After that Dillion wins in every other category except for shot power but no one cares about that.

Dillon has actually got some decent pace to him, and one of his biggest improvements during his time with the Sharks was his skating. He had a good ability to skate the puck out of danger, get to the red line and get the puck deep. He is a reliable player.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
What an odd condition.

It's very not likely , but it can open SJS up to the possibility of Washington winning the Cup in a universe where Arizona wins the President's Trophy this year, and SJS takes the last pick in the 3rd round this year, even if Washington's wheels fall of next year and they finish in dead last, and have the first pick in the third round next year.

Just sort of weird to give Arizona's 3rd if Washington wins the Cup. They seem unrelated.
This year's draft is being billed as deep from what I've read. Another pick means more trade capital, and I know Wilson wants to find a way back into rd 1.

They have plenty of cap to take on salary dumps for picks before the 24th, too.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Poor guy was in tears last night at the thought of being on the move. NHL is a privilege and honor to play in but I still feel for the guys when being dealt

He can easily re-sign back there in July.

I wonder what this means for Jensen or Gudas. Thought they already had 6 regular dmen.

It means Jensen, but most likely Seigenthaler, will be the odd man out now.

And Christian Djoos keep getting buried even further. Only 25 and producing at a decent rate in the AHL. Damn did he ever fell...

Capitals fans all agree on Djoos and think he should have been given more of a look this season. His only issue is he gets manhandled in the D zone.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
This year's draft is being billed as deep from what I've read. Another pick means more trade capital, and I know Wilson wants to find a way back into rd 1.

They have plenty of cap to take on salary dumps for picks before the 24th, too.
But they will only have that extra 2020 pick if WSH wins the cup
They can't leverage it at the deadline to get into the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad