Confirmed with Link: [WSH/PHI] Matt Niskanen for Radko Gudas

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
A few other players who all played and partied deep into June last year had solid effort campaigns, so I tend to not buy the "tired from the Cup run" line of thinking. Ovi wasn't tired and no one played as hard in the playoffs then partied like he did.
I generally agree with this, though it’s clear by now that Ovie is not a normal human and may in fact be some kind of cyborg. So that particular comparison may not mean much.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Low Nisk, High Reward is always a good link re: when Niskanen fell off. From an underlying stats standpoint it goes back to the hand injury in the fall of '17. They won the Cup after that but that was the end of him as a strong possession D. He battled through it but that downfall is IMO in large part why he went from being deemed a strong value contract and something of a core piece to weaker value and ultimately expendable. He wasn't quite in Alzner territory last season but the trend lines go further back than just one season. Having said that he could still be an able top pair guy from a survival standpoint but I wouldn't draw it up that way. You can maybe get away with it but I don't think anyone should really want to overall. Ideally someone like Trouba would have been a much stronger fit from an energy standpoint and intangibles aside someone like Myers may do just as well. His ability to play through things is both endearing and ultimately probably his downfall in terms of things piling up on him and him no longer being able to play a truly assertive game.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Until our GMs stop clearly targeting guys with toughness, I will never be alone beating the drums of war.

giphy.gif

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Wow, pretty big news.

Trading Niskanen was predictable (and here I agree with others that this is another good sign of a GM that recognizes obvious roster/cap issues), but the return is surprising, at least at first glance.

I would've expected/preferred for the Caps to trade Niskanen for futures/young players, and then fill any voids on D with some cheaper vets in free agency.

So my first reaction is that Gudas must've been a guy they really liked (rather than "filler"), at least significantly more than any realistic free agency target that would also fit their cap/roster planning for the next couple of years.

What I remember from watching Gudas is assuming that he's just a goon, and then waiting for the forwards to dance around him, but it somehow never really seemed to happen -- his positioning remained solid and the effort/grit was pretty elite.

I dunno if this can be called a great move for the Caps, I think that'll depend on both Gudas's quality and whether he gets re-signed, but it definitely seems like a strange move for the Flyers. Seems pretty easy to find decent vets for leadership purposes in free agency -- especially if you're not in a cap crunch.

Re: Niskanen, I think he has a good chance to bounce back with a full summer of rest, but this season was pretty baffling, maybe he can't consistently handle top assignments any more.

Reactions: 895

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Dig this move. Orpik at his best was imposing his physical will and punishing forwards along the boards so a younger replacement is nice. None of the D prospects look like they have much snarl at this point.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Ovechkin didnt seem tired because its mostly mental toll I guess and he had a kid which eliminated Cup hangover.

Kuzy stated he was fine physically and tired mentally. Orlov and Niskanen could have been weaked by both though.

Id like to see all of them do better this coming season anyway.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
fwiw, Gudas won the Barry Ashbee trophy this season as the team's best defenseman. Granted, he more or less snuck out that win given Gostisbehere's and Provorov's disastrous down seasons. Still, I did a quick search of your thread and didn't see it mentioned, and thought you should know.

Reactions: 895

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
ok...I am convinced. He sucks. When he signs I will like your post on impending doom.
Oh, hardly. I'm guessing he will be back in order to help offset some of the defensive/PK instability that's been opened up. I just wouldn't expect real solid third-line offensive production from him is all.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Oh, hardly. I'm guessing he will be back in order to help offset some of the defensive/PK instability that's been opened up. I just wouldn't expect real solid third-line offensive production from him is all.

I think I specifically said that with all the changes in PK/defensive hockey that Hagelin was a player they wanted to keep. Thanks for arguing with me. Moving on

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Dig this move. Orpik at his best was imposing his physical will and punishing forwards along the boards so a younger replacement is nice. None of the D prospects look like they have much snarl at this point.

Its about the best skill replacement the Caps will find for Orpik. What the Caps will miss from Orpik, though, are things that Gudas doesn't offer. Hopefully, Orpik has rubbed off on players still on the roster

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I hope the Caps consider keeping Orpik in the org as a coach at Hershey or some such. Seems like the kind of person you want around.

At this point I'd put Orpik right behind the Caps bench as D coach and send Cashman to the ECHL or something.

I'm not sure we have any idea what Brooks wants to do when he hangs up the skates though. But if he wants to coach, I can see him being a great one some day.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
On Orpik, last off-season it was written that he was hesitant about being traded from Colorado due to a 'family situation' that made it important for him to still be near DC.

If that situation still exists, I'd guess his Free Agency opportunities will be very limited, and it wouldn't surprise me to still see him around DC in some capacity.

Edit spelling

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Ovechkin didnt seem tired because its mostly mental toll I guess and he had a kid which eliminated Cup hangover.

Kuzy stated he was fine physically and tired mentally. Orlov and Niskanen could have been weaked by both though.

Id like to see all of them do better this coming season anyway.

Shutdown defenseman is the most discipline/mental toughness requiring job of any skater. Can't think of many who played at the same level the year after a cup run. You only need to be on point once to score a goal, you need to be on the dime every time to defend against good players. My guess is we're gonna see Pietrangelo and/or Parayko struggle uncharacteristically next year as well

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
You literally took the words right out of my mouth.

GMBM is a cold ass mother and I love it. I would be exactly the same type of GM. Don't care much about Gudas, he won't be here long but that cap space is so very valuable in today's NHL. GMBM is a boss and is playing to win, what is there not to love when he basically does every single thing we keyboard GM's want. ;)

I love Niskanen and thank him for coming in (with Orpik) and stabilizing what was a garbage D core. He was a HUGE part of two President's trophies and a Stanley Cup and he will always get a big ovation in D.C.

Your post reflects my feelings. I do look forward to Wilson and Gudas targeting Foegele this upcoming season.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If Orpik does join the hockey operations staff, I think it should be in Hershey (or a scouting job, if he's into that). I don't think he should immediately become part of the Washington staff. There's not enough separation between him and the roster yet, and he'd be too close to the guys to fully get the treatment he deserves as a coach (and vice versa, with him treating the team the way a coach should). Having worked with alumni in other sports and activities, we always make them take a few years before they come back to assist us. I think the same would apply here.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

Outside of game 1 Orpik was a no show. He didn't hit and since he didn't lead no one else did, and Carolina forwards were fearless in our zone. I assume Orpik got injured in G1.

No thank you on Hagelin. 1 year vet min or see ya. I refuse to believe we don't have a Hagelin lite in Hershey. Or hello, in DC - Stephenson. Save cap space and keep the pipe poked clean. He was a modern day Flash sprinkled up and down 3 lines and none did dick with him. I heavily grade playoffs over preseason. And he wasn't just easy to play against he tanked all his lines. Its that vet pickup at the dead where he gets forced in yet never really finds a home.

Those suspension calls on Rad were soft as hell. It's maybe not a bad time for philly to move him since he is now neutered like Mr. Wilson.

NFN Never forget Nisky he was a KEY cog in our sole cup grab. He was quietly tough and a little bit dirty. It was sad to see he hit no one this past loffs. Again no wonder we lost to the Carolina Clown Show.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad