Traded [WSH/OTT] Connor Brown for 2024 2nd round pick

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I’m pretty happy with sacrificing Brown to free up money to sign Giroux.
If that's the case then yes I'm sure we'd all agree.
If we could have had both, most likely take that over Motte, all things considered.

Maybe you just can't have two ginges on the roster.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
What a waste to let go of a player like Connor Brown for nothing. Wish we could've gotten a defense version of his in return
Ah, a second round pick is ‘nothing’ when we receive it in a trade, but it’s the harbinger of disaster when we give one away in a trade.

Classic!

In the end he asked out, and his wish was granted. That’s how good relationships end sometimes. No point in making make believe scenarios where Brown happily played on our third line this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snowwy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hard to argue that this team wouldn't be better with Brown on it. Motte is a solid fourth line guy and penalty killer. Very very solid. But thats what he is. Third line is not his ideal spot and he shouldn't be anywhere near a powerplay.

If the Senators knew the whole Formenton fiasco was coming I doubt they make the Brown trade. But you can't really blame them for that one.
They clearly would have known its still all very strange to me. I feel like either he really wanted out/there is something that happened we don't know about. Or a deal was done and the other team backed out.

How bads his injury? Feel bad for him very likeable player/person.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hard to argue that this team wouldn't be better with Brown on it. Motte is a solid fourth line guy and penalty killer. Very very solid. But thats what he is. Third line is not his ideal spot and he shouldn't be anywhere near a powerplay.

If the Senators knew the whole Formenton fiasco was coming I doubt they make the Brown trade. But you can't really blame them for that one.
The Formenton fiasco? He is bearing a very heavy weight of that whole HC London fiasco... Pretty sure there was more than one player involved there he just gets to carry the weight of it with no one actually providing hard information about it.

Anyway I would have liked for them to keep Brown until the TDL. Would have been great to play him with Pinto. He is no doubt an upgrade on what they have there now and they are good players. Money wise and flexibility wise I get it.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The Formenton fiasco? He is bearing a very heavy weight of that whole HC London fiasco... Pretty sure there was more than one player involved there he just gets to carry the weight of it with no one actually providing hard information about it.

Anyway I would have liked for them to keep Brown until the TDL. Would have been great to play him with Pinto. He is no doubt an upgrade on what they have there now and they are good players. Money wise and flexibility wise I get it.

Im not pretending to know whats really going on with all that. Nor am I blaming or freeing Formenton of blame.

All I know is that the team didn't sign him, and isn't talking about signing him. Nor is the media asking why they haven't signed him. Obviously it has something to do with the investigation.

That's all I meant by the Formenton fiasco.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

They knew... or they could have known... I mean we as fans knew lol

The trade happened (Jul. 13, 2022) AFTER the scandal first made the news (May 26, 2022)

You can 100% blame them for (yet another) total lack of foresight. I called it and it was an extremely easy call.

I'd imagine Brown being scheduled to make $4M in real dollars this year had something to do with it. Our entire 3rd line, right now, costs $4.8M.

Motte does 70% of what Brown does for 1/3 of the cost. Hopefully we can use those savings, and the 2nd rounder we acquired, to bolster the defense in a couple months.

Like I have said previously (maybe in another thread), I would have taken Brown at 4.0 over Motte + Gambrell + Brassard at 3.05

Saying Motte does 70% of what Brown does is like saying that Joseph does 70% of what Giroux does for less than half the price. It just doesn't work like that

What kind of an argument is this??? I literally said before the season started that keeping him was a risky move because there was a chance that he could get hurt, therefore, with a 2nd on the table, making that trade was a NO BRAINER.

Ever heard of "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"?

Yes but you understand that Connor Brown might not have been injured at all this season if he played here? He missed 18 games last season and it was actually the first he missed some games in the NHL...

Like I was saying when the trade happened, it is very clear now that we should have kept him as our own rental this season, particularly after learning of the possible involvement of 2 of our forwards with the TC scandal... Worst case scenario if he gets injured? We don't have that other 2nd round pick in 2 years

Any trade for a rental doesn't cover for the injury risk. Teams still trade for rentals.

It's ok, just another bad move in Dorion's book. There's been so many we don't count anymore.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Like I have said previously (maybe in another thread), I would have taken Brown at 4.0 over Motte + Gambrell + Brassard at 3.05

Saying Motte does 70% of what Brown does is like saying that Joseph does 70% of what Giroux for half the price. Just doesn't work like that
I agree with this, but my main issue is the acquisition of Talbot right before trading Brown. If they felt there's not enough space for Brown, sure I guess you move him. But to only get a 2nd round pick instead of a player that might address a team need, and then spend $3 million in capspace/cash on Talbot in a trade that I feel we should have gotten more since we were helping a team that was cash strapped, it just feels like poor vision. I wish Dorion had used Brown for defensive help. More help on the blueline can help protect crappy goalies as well, but also help inexperienced ones get better.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa

The trade happened (Jul. 13, 2022) AFTER the scandal first made the news (May 26, 2022)

You can 100% blame them for (yet another) total lack of foresight. I called it and it was an extremely easy call.

Saying Motte does 70% of what Brown does is like saying that Joseph does 70% of what Giroux does for less than half the price. It just doesn't work like that

Yes but you understand that Connor Brown might not have been injured at all this season if he played here? He missed 18 games last season and it was actually the first he missed some games in the NHL...

Like I was saying when the trade happened, it is very clear now that we should have kept him as our own rental this season, particularly after learning of the possible involvement of 2 of our forwards with the TC scandal... Worst case scenario if he gets injured? We don't have that other 2nd round pick in 2 years

Any trade for a rental doesn't cover for the injury risk. Teams still trade for rentals.

It's ok, just another bad move in Dorion's book. There's been so many we don't count anymore.
Didn’t want to be here as per his exit interview.

Was pissed off that Paul was traded, and that the team didn’t see him as a top 6 winger.

He was being traded regardless of what happened with Formenton.

And while you can say you would have rather had him vs Motte+Brassard+Gambrell, you need that depth in case of injuries, and were going to spend the $ on it regardless. (Although Gambrell is likely redundant)

I agree with this, but my main issue is the acquisition of Talbot right before trading Brown. If they felt there's not enough space for Brown, sure I guess you move him. But to only get a 2nd round pick instead of a player that might address a team need, and then spend $3 million in capspace/cash on Talbot in a trade that I feel we should have gotten more since we were helping a team that was cash strapped, it just feels like poor vision. I wish Dorion had used Brown for defensive help. More help on the blueline can help protect crappy goalies as well, but also help inexperienced ones get better.
He tried from what I was told. Deal for a D fell through .

Reactions: Xspyrit

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
We'll never know if Brown asked behind the scenes for an opportunity elsewhere in the top 6 to line him up for a big pay day and PD tried to do him a favour with a win-win. Ultimately this then lead to Ottawa's 'win' being handicapped by them doing him a solid vs holding on to him til the TDL to maximize his value to us, but minimize his value in FA.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Thanks.
Didn’t want to be here as per his exit interview.

Was pissed off that Paul was traded, and that the team didn’t see him as a top 6 winger.

He was being traded regardless of what happened with Formenton.

And while you can say you would have rather had him vs Motte+Brassard+Gambrell, you need that depth in case of injuries, and were going to spend the $ on it regardless. (Although Gambrell is likely redundant)

With the bolded comment, do you mean Brown was upset they didn't see him as a top 6 winger or Paul?

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If a deal fell through, I'd have held onto Brown. Does it suck for the player, absolutely, but we had team needs that needed filling and without having someone like Formenton signed, we ended up spending $3 million on depth that we really shouldn't have to worry about for now when there's internal options. We only saved $1.2 million in real cash.

Not that it matter now, its just one thing I wasn't a fan of during this past off season which was largely positive.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Here is a timeline for you.

July 13, FA Day

11:32AM - McKenzie tweets the Brown to Edmonton deal is done barring any last minute hiccups

12:01 - Friedman reports Giroux to Ottawa

5:52PM - McKenzie reports Brown to Capitals

I don’t know about anyone else but that timeline tells me Dorion had to unload Brown’s 4.2M in order to sign Giroux.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
I don't believe that DJ didn't see Top 6 potential in Brown.

It makes sense that he wouldn't want to play on the 3rd line in a contract year.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

July 13, FA Day

11:32AM - McKenzie tweets the Brown to Edmonton deal is done barring any last minute hiccups

I don’t know about anyone else but that timeline tells me Dorion had to unload Brown’s 4.2M in order to sign Giroux.
On July 12th we traded for Talbot. We could also look at this situation as, we acquired Talbot and therefore had to move someone to sign Giroux, essentially money that may have gone to anyone in FA (Giroux) being spent on Talbot. If its valid to say that Dorion had to unload Brown's salary to get Giroux, it also holds that signing Talbot meant we had to move salary out to get Giroux.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
On July 12th we traded for Talbot. We could also look at this situation as, we acquired Talbot and therefore had to move someone to sign Giroux, essentially money that may have gone to anyone in FA (Giroux) being spent on Talbot. If its valid to say that Dorion had to unload Brown's salary to get Giroux, it also holds that signing Talbot meant we had to move salary out to get Giroux.
July 11th we unloaded Murray.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
July 11th we unloaded Murray.
And Dorion chose to address goaltending immediately even though he knew he still had to pursue forwards like Giroux or whomever else when FA started.

He prioritized goaltending and it put him in a situation where salary would have to be shed from other places to get impact players in FA like Giroux.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
And Dorion chose to address goaltending immediately even though he knew he still had to pursue forwards like Giroux or whomever else when FA started.

He prioritized goaltending and it put him in a situation where salary would have to be shed from other places to get impact players in FA like Giroux.
Yea and the obvious guy was the one who didn’t want to be here and who was being upgraded at 2RW

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

July 13, FA Day

Idk that they are necessarily directly related. Dorion has been vocal about looking to add a Dman and I think moving Brown would play into that more than Giroux.

Either way, they don't own the guys a penny until October, signing bonuses aside, so moves being made shortly after one another doesn't mean they were financially linked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad