Confirmed Trade: [WSH/MTL] Ilya Kovalchuk (50% retained) for 2020 3rd round pick

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
What is a trade deadline?

What benefits do trade deadline moves have?

How does prorated and retained salary cap work?

Go ahead and answer these three questions and circle back around to see if you still don't understand why a team would trade for a player at the TDL but have 0 interest in them in the off season.

How much are picks worth to teams? You want him apart of your team now but not all season? You are acting like it's some genius move when it wreaks of desperation more then anything.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
How much are picks worth to teams?
Well, context is relevant. How much picks are worth to a team is different for a team with a championship window right now as opposed to one that's rebuilding. A 3rd round pick to Washington means a hell of a lot less than it does to a Montreal or Ottawa. Then you need the context of the pick placement. At best this is a late 3rd round pick, what's the conversion rate in general on late 3rd round picks to NHL players? Theeeeeen you need to know the actual specific drafting record of the team with said pick. Draft picks to teams like Edmonton haven't had the same value in due time as other teams.

You want him apart of your team now but not all season?
Correct.

As of today he literally costs less than league minimum, something not possible in the off season. He also does not come attached to term that would be multiple years, personally can't see his longevity existing for the full term of whatever he gets this offseason. Every year multiple teams make trades for "rentals" or players they have 0 intention of keeping beyond that specific playoff hunt. It can be due to cap related issues, specific roles needing to be filled, or simply to create depth. I can only assume you haven't watched hockey for a very long time (or sports for that matter because it's present in every sport beyond football) if you're not familiar with this concept.

Kovy also fills specific needs potentially only present in the playoffs. Ex. last year Oshie was hurt and the Capitals didn't have a top 6 forward ready to fill that roll. Today should a top 6 player get hurt in the playoffs they could slot Kovy in and move someone else to his old role.

You are acting like it's some genius move when it wreaks of desperation more then anything.

Not really. I actually am not that big of a fan of the move, I think Kovy plays decent top 6 hockey but his track record with less minutes is spotty. I think a third is fair value for the opportunity for this to turn into something. I don't think it "wreaks" or even reeks of desperation, as I stated above it's standard practice for playoff bound teams. Once again I'm assuming the more you watch hockey the more you'll understand it.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Says the fanboy of a team that gave up a conditional 3rd rounder for Marleau :facepalm:

We could have got Marleau this off-season?

Well, context is relevant. How much picks are worth to a team is different for a team with a championship window right now as opposed to one that's rebuilding. A 3rd round pick to Washington means a hell of a lot less than it does to a Montreal or Ottawa. Then you need the context of the pick placement. At best this is a late 3rd round pick, what's the conversion rate in general on late 3rd round picks to NHL players? Theeeeeen you need to know the actual specific drafting record of the team with said pick. Draft picks to teams like Edmonton haven't had the same value in due time as other teams.

Correct.

As of today he literally costs less than league minimum, something not possible in the off season. He also does not come attached to term that would be multiple years, personally can't see his longevity existing for the full term of whatever he gets this offseason. Every year multiple teams make trades for "rentals" or players they have 0 intention of keeping beyond that specific playoff hunt. It can be due to cap related issues, specific roles needing to be filled, or simply to create depth. I can only assume you haven't watched hockey for a very long time (or sports for that matter because it's present in every sport beyond football) if you're not familiar with this concept.

Kovy also fills specific needs potentially only present in the playoffs. Ex. last year Oshie was hurt and the Capitals didn't have a top 6 forward ready to fill that roll. Today should a top 6 player get hurt in the playoffs they could slot Kovy in and move someone else to his old role.

Not really. I actually am not that big of a fan of the move, I think Kovy plays decent top 6 hockey but his track record with less minutes is spotty. I think a third is fair value for the opportunity for this to turn into something. I don't think it "wreaks" or even reeks of desperation, as I stated above it's standard practice for playoff bound teams. Once again I'm assuming the more you watch hockey the more you'll understand it.

Well if Caps fans like the move, that's all that matters.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Don't know if you're referring to the 2019 off season or the 2020 off season, either way... yes

He's a pending UFA this off-season and he was bought out by the Maple Leafs/Hurricanes last off season, so he was a UFA then too.

Again, no worries, the contracts can be pretty confusing to new fans, once you start to really sink your teeth into the sport you'll pick this stuff up. Always great to have new fans around.

Last edited:

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Lol, trying to defend your fanbase after making arrogant asinine comments is rich. Maybe you try being humble once in a while lm
Nothing arrogant or asinine about pointing out your lack of logic. I'd suggest investing in a dictionary but I see you're too busy trying to sound like you know what you're talking about. Talk about an uphill battle!

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019

You could have gotten a ton of players much better than Marleau for free or virtually free this offseason. Haula, Nichushkin, Ennis. Trading a potential 2nd rounder for a 41 year old 20 point fossil is a much more desperate move than trading a 3rd rounder for a still effective Kovalchuk at 70k

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Don't know if you're referring to the 2019 off season or the 2020 off season, either way... yes

He's a pending UFA this off-season and he was bought out by the Maple Leafs/Hurricanes last off season, so he was a UFA then too.

Again, no worries, the contracts can be pretty confusing to new fans, once you start to really sink your teeth into the sport you'll pick this stuff up. Always great to have new fans around.

The irony is off the charts here.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Safe to say this is actually one of Bergevin's smartest moves? :laugh:
No, its not safe to say. Bergevin has actually done fairly well on most of his trades. The teams drafting and development has really sucked, which is why we are where we are.

Trading a 2nd and a 5th for Jeff Petry
Trading Pacioretty for Tatar, Suzuki, and a 2nd
Trading Dale Weise and Tomas Fleischmann for Phil Danault and a pick
Trading Alex Galchenyuk for Max Domi

These are all home run trades for Montreal. Creating a third round pick out of thin air is nice but the likelihood it turns into anything useful is pretty darn close to zero.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
No, its not safe to say.

Besides the fact that his team is terrible despite the "good trades" he's done, he has sent Subban for Weber, Sergachev for Drouin, and what else? Need I say more?

Oh yeah, the signings. Price must be having a hard time being a Hab these days. :rolleyes:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Besides the fact that his team is terrible despite the "good trades" he's done, he has sent Subban for Weber, Sergachev for Drouin, and what else? Need I say more?

Oh yeah, the signings. Price must be having a hard time being a Hab these days. :rolleyes:
Oh, so you were just trolling. Gotcha.

No, you need not say more.

Reactions: Steeler23

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Your refusal to take facts suggests that you're just a die-hard Habs fan who just doesn't take hockey in reality.
Facts? You asked if this was one of Bergevins "best moves". I explained why it wasn't. It's really a nothing move.

Now run along and find someone else to play with.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Facts? You asked if this was one of Bergevins "best moves". I explained why it wasn't. It's really a nothing move.

Now run along and find someone else to play with.

And I stated actual facts, compared to your fantasies on why he fails as a general manager. So, tell me when the Habs are getting the Cup, oh, Oracle.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

You reaaly think Subban for Weber was a bad trade ?? I mean really??

Reactions: Steeler23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad